this is a really good song.

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 17, 2009, 08:16:41 PM

polkablues

We can go ahead and tear down all the churches, because that college acapella group has officially disproved the existence of soul.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I was going to post the original version of the song, but they were all low res.  :(

I once played "Hide and Seek" for someone who had only heard the Jason Derulo version. I didn't tell him what it was, so his eyes popped out of his head when that section arrived.

polkablues

It's for sure one of the great songs of all time, even if it has had a longer life as a meme than as a real song. I didn't even know about the Jason Derulo song; that's horrifying.

Ariana Grande, of all people, does a really good cover of it, using wired gloves that Imogen Heap helped invent to control the vocoder harmonies. Not a great video here, but it gives you the idea:

Jeremy Blackman

Nice.

But why does she let the audience distract her so much?

Jeremy Blackman

Here's another lyric / song moment that's been in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13j4LOBj_D0&t=1m9s

An existential wail of sorts, then mournful acknowledgment:

Darrel, my son
The bastards won

Jeremy Blackman

Three contemporary lullabies. Play them for your children.

Jeremy Blackman

Many people could never get past the lyrics. But I believe "Shiny Happy People" is a masterpiece. It still sounds fresh, more than 25 years later. Remains one of my favorite songs.

polkablues

It is a bit of a testament to REM's talent that they couldn't even take the piss out of vapid pop music without accidentally making a great song out of it.

I feel the same way about The Cardigans' "Lovefool".

Jeremy Blackman

That reminds me, I forgot to post this here. It's worth seeking out a HQ version.

jenkins

polkablues

I like the juxtaposition of this fully-tattooed dude in a hockey jersey singing a super earnest pop song about being in love.

A similarish artist (at least in terms of that contradiction) I really like is Fences:

N

polkablues

I already posted about Phoebe Bridgers today in the Lorde thread, but here's another one because I'm obsessed.