Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

Florya Naoki

It's very good to see that more and more people think that Eyes Wide Shut was underrated. The more people think that, the sooner it will be rated as one of Kubrick's best films. At least that's what I hope.  I hope the underrated half-Kubrick-half-Spielberg film A.I. goes the same way....

After seeing all his generally available films (didn't see his shorts or Fear and Desire) I came to this conclusion:
1 2001: A space oddessey (It's hard for me to understand how anyone could disagree on that. One of the most comprehensive films I ever saw. And so beautiful that I could hang every still on my wall and look at it)
2 Eyes Wide Shut (His most sensitive film, I think)
3 A Clockwork Orange
4 The shining
5 Paths of Glory
6 Dr. strangelove
7 The Killing
8 Spartacus (Not very Kubrick-ish, but everyone who actually liked Gladiator should see this, way better)
9 Barry Lyndon (Shot beautiful, but too distant)
10 Full Metal Jacket
11 Lolita (Probably came too early, don't really like the light tone, had too darker)
12 Killer's Kiss (Only some hints of genius in the last scene, rest is very mediocre film-noir)

The first three rank among my personal favorite films of all time.
Well I think I'm still a listmaniac, for that matter.
And this is my first post here, so.... Hi!

rustinglass

welcome! lots of lists here.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

LostEraser

Dr. Strangelove and 2001 are his best, imo. They are the only two films of his that I feel are "perfect".
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Big Owl

Surely you cant count out Barry Lyndon if your criteria for bestness is perfection . Because that movie is absolutely perfect
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

The Perineum Falcon

Wasn't completly sure where to put this, but I guess this is good enough, right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3537938.stm

The Shining named perfect scary movie
Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, starring Jack Nicholson, has been named the perfect scary film, according to a new mathematical formula.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ono

I wish this was an article from The Onion.  It reminds me of the scene from Dead Poets Society where the students read from their textbook about a way to judge how good a poem is (by graphing its technical merits versus its "importance" or some such nonsense).  In other words?  The formula is just silly, though I don't deny how good The Shining is.  It's one of the few horror films I can even tolerate.

meatball

Lolita is fucking hilarious. I laugh out loud so many times watching this. I don't understand why others don't like it too much.

Though, I'd have to say that A Clockwork Orange is my favorite, if I really had to choose. And Barry Lyndon coming in second.

NEON MERCURY

...since i know that at least 3 people here who are dying to know what my favorite kubrick films that i have seen  are....so i ll let you know now:

my favorite one is 2001.then its the shining.then it would be eyes wide shut..then a clockwork orange then lastly full metal jacket.....

your welcome... :|

adolfwolfli

I find that Kubrick's films change over time, and take on new meaning and become new experiences depending on where you are in life.  This is maybe the main reason he's my favorite director - the rewatchability of his films is endless.  I've seen every one countless times and never get bored; always finding something new to look at, listen to, be engaged by.  

For the longest time Strangelove was my favorite, then it was 2001 during my early 20s.  Then Clockwork Orange.  

When I was a teenager, Full Metal Jacket was my favorite, with its endlessly quotable dialogue.  But it was a terrifying film and a depressing one - only within the last couple of years did I come to the realization that the film is a dark comedy, which is why it's unfair to compare it to Apocalypse Now, Platoon or the Deer Hunter - all very serious films.  Just think about how funny the film is - Lee Ermey's insults, "Me So Horny", etc.

Currently, I've come to the realization that The Shining is my new favorite, my new "best".  It seems to be the most "Kubrick" of all of Kubrick's works.  He seems to always have had an obsession with space, and how interior and exterior spaces mirror human psychology (the trenches in Paths of Glory; the apartments and race track of The Killing; the space ships and vastness of the universe in 2001; the Korova Milk Bar, Alex's apartment and the prison of Clockwork; the Overlook in the Shining; the barracks of Full Metal Jacket, etc.)

The Overlook Hotel set gave him the most "closed" and most perfectly realized idea of space in his career.  The labyrinthine hotel perfectly mirrors the hedge maze and Jack's troubled mind.  The endless tracking shots of the hotel, repeated over and over, eventually create a hypnotic state, and the strangeness and eeriness of this is unlike anything else in cinema.  Full Metal Jacket has this quality in the early scenes, but then becomes a bit unfocused later on.  The Shining is distilled down to its essence, with 3 characters, a hotel, and some apparitions.  It's amazing.

cine

Quote from: adolfwolfliI find that Kubrick's films change over time, and take on new meaning and become new experiences depending on where you are in life.

Pubrick

Quote from: adolfwolfliCurrently, I've come to the realization that The Shining is my new favorite, my new "best".
smart man.

Quote from: adolfwolfliFull Metal Jacket has this quality in the early scenes, but then becomes a bit unfocused later on.
while i respect and admire the thought u seem to hav put into arriving at ur various conclusions, i would like to suggest that in this case perhaps you are not focussing on the correct things "later on".

at the very least, approaching it from a design perspective as u are, FMJ comes together in the last sniper scenes. the smoke, fog, and movement around/through/into the sniper's lair are consistent with the psychology of the characters at this point.
under the paving stones.

adolfwolfli

Quote from: Pubrick
while i respect and admire the thought u seem to hav put into arriving at ur various conclusions, i would like to suggest that in this case perhaps you are not focussing on the correct things "later on".

at the very least, approaching it from a design perspective as u are, FMJ comes together in the last sniper scenes. the smoke, fog, and movement around/through/into the sniper's lair are consistent with the psychology of the characters at this point.

I agree.  I think the labyrinthine rubble of the city at the end of the film, and the marines navigating that space and coming up against the sniper in a strange way mirrors or paralells their experience at the boot camp.  The various obstacles.  Lee Ermey can be seen as a "verbal sniper", and in this the film has a beutiful symmetry.  It's actually the middle section of the film that's always bothered me - it seems scattershot and a bit episodic.  The boot camp and city at the end are brilliant, however.

El Duderino

from all the kubrick movies i've seen, here they are in order...

1. The Shining
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. Full Metal Jacket
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SHAFTR

Eyes Wide Shut is my favorite.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

I really hate Kubrick lists.