Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

pete

I saw it last night it was great.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

You Bostonian BASTARD!!! Are you going to go into more detail or are we going to have to rely on the mixed review over at AICN?

pete

there's a mixed review?  everyone who went loved it, I dunno how you could not like it, it was a fun movie with a killer soundtrack, it's good in all the parts that's supposed to be good, and tongue in cheek in all the parts supposed to be cheesy.  yes, I've seen all that gore in a similar fashion in movies like Versus and whatnot, but you know, this one was done with so much more style and budget, not to mention a killer soundtrack.  it wasn't deep, thematically speaking it was a lot lighter than pulp fiction or dogs (even though this one's all about revenge and is abundant with severed limbs, violence involving children--not towards, involving, and whatnot).  It was a great movie.  the soundtrack was one of thes best in an action movie.  you really can't scoff at a movie that doesn't take most of itself very seriously.  all the actors get to deliver meaty speeches, and unlike the matrix that tries to be all deep with their monologues, QT's monologues are just a lot better 'cause they don't really try to be all that much.
and you know, as a huge martial arts snob I thought I was gonna have tons of problems with Uma Thurman's moves, but they even danced around that very gracefully--by getting Sonny Chiba to choreograph it.  for those of you who don't watch Sonny Chiba--he's got some of the ugliest moves in martial arts history, but they're fun to watch because they're so brutal and so clever.  I think most of what I saw yesterday was choreographed by Chiba, so I still have no idea what they're gonna look when they do kungfu, probably shitty, but kill bill volume one looked gooood.
speaking of volume one, it was also entirely appropriate to have it in two volumes, even though in the beginning I thought it was a cheap thing to do, because that was a good satisfying two hours.
the thing is, I thought I would be the one giving a mixed review because I always thought that I was OVER QT, that it was just an adolescent male thing, longing to be cool and badass, and QT just happened to be there during the times.  And then later on we saw all these QT ripoff hip crime movies with blood and irony and say, man, QT ain't all that, and then I analyzed all the QT movies to death--that's just john ford meets scorsese meets john woo meets melville...etc., but dammit, man's got a mind of his own and a voice of his own.  He's probably the flashiest of all directors working right now, and that's probably why he's a star director, because he's reminding people constantly that they're watching a film, and in case of kill bill, a really cool martial arts gore film.
other genre-embracing/crossing movies ain't got nothing on kill bill.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

The mixed review said that it was basically all action and no story (he also said that it was hard not to have fun with it, since QT was there and got everyone hyped up). There's another review up there now, though, that says basically everything you said (i.e. it kicks ass). I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to hear that RZA score...his Ghost Dog tracks were awesome, I can't wait to hear what he unleashes here. I'm even MORE hyped now.

Ernie

Quote from: P
Quote from: ebeaman"That woman deserves her revenge...we deserve to die."

God, that line gave me chills just reading it! This officially got me more excited about this movie than ANYTHING else...even the teaser...wow. Best fucking line ever, seriously...wowwww.
hey, whatever weens u off All the Real Last Year Girls..

:cry:

I'm afraid nothing will ever "ween" me off of that my friend...sorry....or maybe I'm not actually, we still talk about Boogie Nights close to 7 years after its theatrical release date and Pulp Fiction after almost 10...so yea, I'm shouldn't be sorry. All the Real Girls hasn't even been released on dvd yet.

Only 1 week left!!!

atticus jones

in real life...no girls

in movie life...all the real girls

kill bill was enjoyed by me pre silver screen naw whut i meen?
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

modage

according to somebody from a screening over at AICN, quentin says volume two should follow in january.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: mein real life...no girls

in movie life...all the real girls

There are no girls in real life? That would suck.

I'm sorry, lately I've been trying to read and understand your posts but it's hard for me. They always look interesting or maybe funny but I just never get them. I want to and I really do try to though. I'm not one to just ignore what I don't understand.

MacGuffin

Couple more production photos:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Awesome Mac, those will definitely be in rotation as my wallpaper.

Just read a great little (kinda big I guess) article on Kill Bill in the new Premiere magazine. They had their big fall preview and gave Quentin's comback a whole article...pics and a whole little interview within it, it was really pretty nice to read. Anyway, I don't if people already know this but I didn't and I still can't really believe what I read but...there was this little blurb in there about how he likes to dress up according to the scene or scenes that he's filming for the day...like they had a picture of him shooting a scene at a hospital with scrubs on...it was really really weird. My scanner isn't working, I'd scan it if I could. There's some other cool pics in there too. Can't wait!

You guys should pick it up by the way, even if you normally don't. All of their preview issues are worth getting...and they claim this one is their biggest yet. There's even this cool mini preview of The Undertow, David Gordon Green's next film...talks about DGG directing a vomiting scene, it's very funny. Also, they have a full page about Intolerable Cruelty, the Coen's next movie...can't wait to see that too. Check it out, it's a great magazine.

October 10th!

Cecil

Quote from: ebeamanAnyway, I don't if people already know this but I didn't and I still can't really believe what I read but...there was this little blurb in there about how he likes to dress up according to the scene or scenes that he's filming for the day...like they had a picture of him shooting a scene at a hospital with scrubs on...it was really really weird. My scanner isn't working, I'd scan it if I could. There's some other cool pics in there too. Can't wait!

i think avary does the same thing (kind of). on mr. stitch he and the whole crew dressed in white, and on killing zoe hed dress accordingly to the color scheme of the film (white beginning, blue second part, red end)

Ernie

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi think avary does the same thing (kind of). on mr. stitch he and the whole crew dressed in white, and on killing zoe hed dress accordingly to the color scheme of the film (white beginning, blue second part, red end)

Wow, really!? That's kinda creepy to me, maybe I'm the one that's weird, but I don't know...that's just kinda lame to me. It's definitely dedicated, I will say that. It's just not something I would ever do.

Pozer

Pubrick

Quote from: posershad up
*remembering when nelson stood up for martin in 'Lemon of Troy' (s.6)*

hey poser, i think i just saw a horse-like chick from a reality show posting in some thread, u should check it out!
under the paving stones.

Pozer

EezeePeezee
M R jokes

but just out of curiosity, link me to that thread