Editing Theory

Started by ono, January 07, 2004, 04:34:07 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: wantautopia?Another person (not sure who; I'm hoping someone will refresh my memory) theorized that it's best to start a scene after it's begun, and end it before the natural finish.

i want to say that this is a technique reciteded by screenwriters not editors -- and sadly enough, I believe it is robert mckee who has preached this through and through.
This was a technique of Ernest Hemingway's.

And Kotte, if shots 1 and 3 are part of the same shot, then maybe you don't have to cut to Gino?  If they're different takes, though, then yeah you'll have to make some cut.  I'd say cut for rhythm and ask someone you trust to just watch that little bit, especially somebody who doesn't know much about editing.  Ask them afterwards if they noticed anything wrong with it.  You can make your decision after that.

Myxo

Sally Menke and Mary Sweeney are both great..

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

My editing comes from a musician's standpoint.  I think of the editing points as the beats, and depending on the speed of the song that underplays the spirit of the script, there we will have different moments in the movie.
Whether or not music is playing, this theory works.  Actually, when don't use music it frees up alot of natural timing and lets the visual overtake the audio.  I'm sure alot of you know that already.  I just think it's extra-cool.
& Keep up the good work, everybody.

Ghostboy

In concurrence to Matt35mm's suggestion, my immediate reaction to those shots would be to excise shot number two and cut to it after the fellow has walked into frame; technically (and non-contextually), this creates a juxtapositional 'question' which would be answered, rather than a simple 'statement.'

But it's hard to say, not knowing the context and rhythm of the scene.

kotte

Here's a short clip of those two cuts, 11 seconds.

EDIT: I removed the clip...A 11 second clip won't make sense.

Hope you get a better sense of the scene.

ono

My suggestion is a bit similar to Ghostboy's, I think (and matt35mms in a way).  I'd wait until Viggo starts to put his glass down to cut to Gino.  You have the shadow of him coming in the frame, and then he can finish what he's saying.  Might be redundant, I don't know, more like an expansion.

If it is redundant, another option is a cutaway.  Do you have some sort of footage of him coming in or something?  Any other stuff you can use?

Ghostboy

Yeah, after looking at that, I'd definitely say cut AFTER he's walked in. Maybe on the line of dialogue. Again, this may go against the rhythm of the REST of the film, but from this 11 seconds we've seen, that seems like the best option.

You should put the three shots online in their original entirety and hold a contest to see who can edit them together in the manner most pleasing to you.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyYou should put the three shots online in their original entirety and hold a contest to see who can edit them together in the manner most pleasing to you.

That's actually a good idea. Here they are: and .

How do I bring Gino in? See what you can do with the limited information given.

Do it well and a credit is yours.

It would be great help.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: GhostboyYou should put the three shots online in their original entirety and hold a contest to see who can edit them together in the manner most pleasing to you.

That's actually a good idea. Here they are: and .

How do I bring Gino in? See what you can do with the limited information given.

Do it well and a credit is yours.

It would be great help.
How do I do this?
I'm assuming there's a program that I don't have.
Help me.
But, if I understood what GB's saying, since I didn't have the chance to see the last clip, then I would have edited it just like that.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Just Withnail

I tried but can't post as I don't have webspace. I got a good result by cutting to the waiter when he asks "Is everthing to your satisfaction", and having the first part over the guy drinking.

The Perineum Falcon

I was thinking of:

Shot1:
MaƮtre d' asks "...is everything to your satisfaction," the gentleman rests his glass on the table, looks up. (15secs in)

CUT TO:

Shot2:
The gentleman, looking up, glass is down, ready to respond. (9secs in)

I hope this helps.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jeremy Blackman

ono

The last part of the one JB did is good, but one problem with it might be that it's a little bit too quick.  The hiccup, the cut to the waiter coming in at 0:06-0:07 or so isn't needed.  It disrupts the leisurely pace that would be much better to keep.

matt35mm

Mine is perfect.  It wasn't complicated.  The sound is smooth, the cuts are smooth, but I have no idea how to load it.  I don't have my own space.

I'm pretty sure I came up with a good cut that's ready to use (without all this compression, of course).

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: matt35mmbut I have no idea how to load it.  I don't have my own space.

I'm pretty sure I came up with a good cut that's ready to use (without all this compression, of course).
Email it to me. (check your PMs)
Quote from: matt35mmMine is perfect.  It wasn't complicated.  The sound is smooth, the cuts are smooth
I didn't pay much attention to the audio... I figured it was just an example. I don't think we can share on the internet an actual DV file or something that's actually ready to use.

Quote from: wantautopia?The last part of the one JB did is good, but one problem with it might be that it's a little bit too quick.  The hiccup, the cut to the waiter coming in at 0:06-0:07 or so isn't needed.  It disrupts the leisurely pace that would be much better to keep.
I thought the frequent cuts and the odd entrance worked well for tension, especially with the last line. But kotte may not be going for that.