stand-up comics

Started by chinaski40, October 06, 2003, 04:19:57 AM

godardian

Adam Corrolla physically repulses me. Everything he says leaves me stonefaced. I think The Man Show was/is the peak of moronic despicableness.

But on to comedians I do like:

Woody Allen
Wanda Sykes Hall
Chris Rock
Margaret Cho
Jerry Seinfeld
Ellen Degeneres
Janeane Garofalo

Jon Stewart on The Daily Show.

I think Stephen Colbert and Amy Sedaris are fucking hysterical. I can barely look at either of them without laughing, especially on Strangers with Candy.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: godardianAdam Corrolla physically repulses me. Everything he says leaves me stonefaced. I think The Man Show was/is the peak of moronic despicableness.    

Yeah, thats why I said "on loveline". I cant stand the man show or kimmel or crankyankers. He needs Dr. Drew there to civilize him a bit and then he is very witty and funny. Plus on radio, you dont have to look at him

GodDamnImDaMan

I'll be physically and mentally disappointed if Corolla doesnt win US weekly's sexiest man of the year...

CAVE MAN IS IN I TELLZ YA!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

godardian

Quote from: God Damn Im Da ManI'll be physically and mentally disappointed if Corolla doesnt win US weekly's sexiest man of the year...

CAVE MAN IS IN I TELLZ YA!

I'm afraid you're right about the fad for prehistoric men... (actually, I kind of find "metrosexual"-type men to be pretty annoying, too- both types are so fabricated).

About Corolla being considered sexy, though... **shudder** That could only happen in the land of God Dam I'm Da Man's desperate projection. :-)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

freakerdude

Quote from: chinaski40i thought that song was about christ...
Sorry to get off topic here. Eulogy came from the inspiration that Maynard drew from Bill Hicks' personal beliefs and performances. If anyone thinks it has nothing to do with Bill Hicks, you are wrong and do not know of Maynard's admiration for him. Jesus Christ was my first impression until a true Tool-ie told me about Maynard's fascination with Bill Hicks......interperate what you want from it but it's not the obvious. If you give a damn, check out this forum post:

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=178164;article=10128;title=TOOL;date_query=1063306243

Maynard's lyrics are not always what they seem....check out Prison Sex and tell me what you think. Do those lyrics make him gay? It's all about something else....not exactly verbatim. Yes, part of Eulogy is directed at someone else, but it's mainly about Hicks, IMO.

My 2 cents off topic on Eulogy by Tool.

I'll add Bill Cosby to my list of favs

Abrasives:
Rosie O'Donnell
Sandra Bernhard
Ellen Degenres
Dennis Leary
MC Pee Pants

godardian

Quote from: freakerdude
Sorry to get off topic here. Eulogy came from the inspiration that Maynard drew from Bill Hicks' personal beliefs and performances. If anyone thinks it has nothing to do with Bill Hicks, you are wrong and do not know of Maynard's admiration for him. Jesus Christ was my first impression until a true Tool-ie told me about Maynard's fascination with Bill Hicks......interperate what you want from it but it's not the obvious. If you give a damn, check out this forum post:

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=178164;article=10128;title=TOOL;date_query=1063306243

Maynard's lyrics are not always what they seem....check out Prison Sex and tell me what you think. Do those lyrics make him gay? It's all about something else....not exactly verbatim. Yes, part of Eulogy is directed at someone else, but it's mainly about Hicks, IMO.

I'll add Bill Cosby to my list of favs

Abrasives:
Rosie O'Donnell
Sandra Bernhard
Ellen Degenres
Dennis Leary

I think Sandra Bernhard is genius exactly 2/3 of the time. I don't know that you'd call what she does "standup comedy," though. I think of it more as performance art.

I can't imagine anyone finding Ellen Degeneres abrasive as a stand-up comedian... her stand-up is probably the most gentle out there.  :?:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

George Carlin
Mitch Hedburg
Pablo Francisco (I'm so suprised no one put him up yet)
Nick Swardson
Dave Attell
Maria Bamford
Jerry Seinfeld

I think that's a pretty good list...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

Quote from: freakerdude

I have been a fan of Tool and a fan of Bill Hicks for many years, my friend.

What's funny is that the article you linked is saying exactly what I just said "Eulogy is NOT about Bill Hicks".  

You could say that it's inspired by Bill Hicks in some ways, but not really directly... not as directly as "Aenema" ("Arizona Bay" is not only a Hicks routine, but the title of one of his stand up compilations) or "Third Eye" which even samples Hicks... but more in the fact that the attitudes are very similar to Hicks'.

smash

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeMitch Hedberg
Hells yes.  I just love this stoner-man's delivery...its so great.

Alethia

Gloria

Denis Leary
Dennis Miller
Steven Wright
Jerry Seinfeld
Chris Rock
Jon Stewart

edison

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobPablo Francisco (I'm so suprised no one put him up yet)

Damn you!!! i was reading through these and i was just about to put his name, my girlfriend introduced me to him on a video she had taped on comedy central and i nearly pissed my pants.

Newtron

Derek237

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: NewtronShanghai Orange.
:-D  :oops:  8)
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)