stand-up comics

Started by chinaski40, October 06, 2003, 04:19:57 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on February 14, 2007, 01:15:30 PM

This is great. I'm not the biggest fan of Joe Rogan but here he calls out Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Carlos Mencia
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Quote from: Pubrick on February 15, 2007, 12:46:29 AM
Quote from: squints on February 14, 2007, 01:15:30 PM

This is great. I'm not the biggest fan of Joe Rogan but here he calls out Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Carlos Mencia
that's pretty funny.

you can see the video here: http://www.redban.com/blogy/?p=80

this is exactly how i would expect ned mencia to act when confronted about his bullshit, with a lot of screaming about "whiney bitches" and painfully weak arguments to defend himself. especially the crap about george lopez being jealous of him, saying a jewish guy can't write a (shitty) joke about mexicans, resorting to the "jealous retarded whiny bitch" thing about fifty times. what was he thinking, calling rogan up there? did he think he'd come out of that looking like he'd won?? what a fucking douchebag. the OJ simpson thing was great too.

joe rogan got banned from the comedy store. more info here.

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwig on February 15, 2007, 01:01:31 AM
joe rogan got banned from the comedy store. more info here.

i just read that. i'm no expert on the LA comedy scene, but from what i saw in Minding The Store, that place is doomed with pauly shore.. and the mother is out of it too.

their support of mencia is pretty typical.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Quote from: Joe Rogan on his website
This is starting to get hysterical.
As the fearful little animals scamper to a safe, dry spot on the sinking ship of lies, characters are exposed and karma is radiantly beautiful.

My agent from the Gersh agency, who is the same guy that represents Carlos, spoke to me on the phone today. He told me that he was being "put in the middle of this thing, and forced to make a choice." He said that Carlos wanted to get on the phone with me and end this once and for all, and get this... wanted an apology.
If I didn't do this, he wanted the Gersh agency to either drop me, or he would leave them.

I told them that was fucking hilarious, and said that it's been fun working with them. The fact that they would even consider asking me to do something like that meant I was going to leave them anyway, but the sheer stereotypical "hollywood" nature of conversation actually fucking shocked me.
It was like a scene in a movie. Not even a current movie. More like that Kevin Bacon movie "The Big Picture" that was about the evils of Hollywood from the early 90's.

I hung up the phone and laughed out loud. A real, hard, pleasure filled laugh.

Now can you IMAGINE if I was a young, struggling comic and all this shit went down? THAT is the really ugly part of it.
Now you know why people don't speak up about this shit.

Hollywood eats it's young.
At least the Gersh agency does.

Stefen

I had only known Rogan from MMA matches. Didn't even know he was a comic.

This is all so silly.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

Its easy to find but i just came across Zach Galifianakis' Late World. oh my goodness this is funny stuff
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Quote from: squints on February 19, 2007, 06:05:44 AM
Its easy to find but i just came across Zach Galifianakis' Late World. oh my goodness this is funny stuff
i loved the episode where there's only one guy in the audience and he barely applauds anything. and the misplaced sound effects.

zach galifianakis is amazing.

Pubrick

i don't know if tom rhodes is anyone, but after tonite he should be known as one of the worst american comedians i've ever seen. i'm watching him right now on a show called Stand Up Australia, which features two comedians every nite for around 15mins each.

not only did he steal one of the jokes mencia was called on (the mexicans building the wall that will keep them out, delivered in the same way that was pointed out above to mencia), he stole others i can't source exactly. his shitty material would be bad enough, and if he hadn't been billed as "legendary" by the idiotic host cos he was making his second appearnace, i might've lowered my expectations.. then he did his whole act as mitch hedberg - voice, mannerisms and everything. at one point he was heckled, some dude in the crowd said "next!" or something like that, which i'd never seen before on the show. but he was alone, cos he was told to leave and everyone else continued to love the douche. during this part he stopped talking like hedberg and responded to the heckler in his normal american accent.

this guy's act was fucking insulting, he had nothing to say about australia so he just did a lot of jokes about England, including but not limited to british food (instead of bombing them the Germans should've dropped cookbooks - ancient right??), and the royal family. and remember, WHILE APING MITCH HEDBERG and thinking no one would notice.

sam simmons on the other hand was fucking brilliant. he had a pre-recorded musical soundtrack that was brilliantly timed with his act and used sparingly. more like a crazy poet with jokes that aren't really funny, he's over-excited and apparently unaware of anyone else in the room.. but the atmosphere is sincere and this transforms his otherwise random monologue about monkeys being great lovers into something special. the sharp contrast to the shameless hack that went on before must've confused the audience cos they didn't find him that hilarious.

the problem with this show (on what used to be called the comedy channel, now just "Comedy", on australian cable), is that it's hosted by the biggest douche in australian comedy. his name is Cameron Knight and he has a catchphrase where he says "touch it" instead of saying goodbye.. that's all you need to know about him.

stand up is dead.
under the paving stones.

squints

http://www.redban.com/blogy/

Carlos steals a joke from....FUCKING BILL COSBY!?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

this is much better because it's not a case of stealing a shitty third-rate joke about mexicans like in the rogan thing. here he's ripping an entire bit from one of the most famous and respected stand-up acts in the history of the artform. even if lily tomlin killed mencia's mother, there would be no way to justify this. cool.

polkablues

Fuck Carlos Mencia and never stop.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

And to think, he was such a brilliant, shining star before this whole debacle.

Carlos Mencia, may you rest in peace.

Duh-duhduh.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on June 28, 2010, 12:29:47 PM
Perhaps the rest of this should continue in the stand-up thread as opposed to top 5, but that's getting technical

Is this the one?

Quote from: squints on June 26, 2010, 01:31:12 PM
As much as i like the guy, i don't really find paul f tompkins that funny.

Oh, Squints, I didn't know you didn't like standup comedy.
(Seriously though, it baffles me when people who seem to have any trace of good taste don't think PFT is funny... what standups do you like?).

Quote from: polkablues on June 27, 2010, 01:12:02 PM
Here's my favorite, since I live full-time with my lips puckered to Patton Oswalt's ass:

I was at this show, the guy was even at my table being annoying the entire time.  I can hear my laugh on the album.
He actually kept going and then some other guy made a comment and Patton tore into him too.  I think the second heckler came off as more of a victim though so it's probably for the best that didn't make the album.

RE: Mencia (since he was the last thing discussed in this thread over three years ago), if you guys haven't already, you should listen to WTF, Marc Maron's Podcast.  He did a two-part interview with Mencia.  The first part Mencia defends himself against people who think he steals his jokes, then Marc starts interviewing people who have worked with Mencia and witnessed his joke stealing.  For the second part, Marc brings all that shit back to Mencia and Mencia basically melts down, gets crazy defensive, and tries to backpedal after saying "I wish I could say I'm sorry".

squints

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 28, 2010, 03:11:56 PM

Quote from: squints on June 26, 2010, 01:31:12 PM
As much as i like the guy, i don't really find paul f tompkins that funny.

Oh, Squints, I didn't know you didn't like standup comedy.
(Seriously though, it baffles me when people who seem to have any trace of good taste don't think PFT is funny... what standups do you like?).

oh there's a ton of comedians. mostly ones that everyone will name. Louis CK is my favorite. I just have never seen anything from pft that i thought was gut-bustingly funny. But i like brian regan so what the fuck do i know?

polkablues

Speaking of Louis CK, his FX show premieres this coming night!  Super excited.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/louie/
My house, my rules, my coffee