Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

mogwai

Quote from: mogwai on May 01, 2007, 04:34:23 PM
ever heard of the movie about pearl jam in 1995 that never was released?

here it is to download (low quality, mind you)

http://pearljamweb.blogspot.com/2006/11/pearl-jam-official-movie-1995.html

scroll down a wee bit and there's three links (three parts) to the movie.

here's an excerpt from the movie i posted above.

i was just wondering if anyone recognizes the music in the clip? it's obviously not pearl jam but has it featured in movies before this? cheers.

mogwai

setlist from copenhagen 26/6:

Preset: Throw Your Arms Around Me

Main Set List: Long Road, Corduroy, Why Go, Do the Evolution, In Hiding, LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN, Love Reign O'er Me, Severed Hand, Light Years, Marker in the Sand, Given to Fly, Breath, I Am Mine, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Hard to Imagine, Life Wasted, Porch

1st Encore: No More (Ed Solo), World Wide Suicide, Down, Once, Black, Alive

2nd Encore: *Ed speech about coming back to Denmark,* Betterman, Rockin' in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

well, where should i start? i was suspecting eddie would come out before the support band and play some songs. and right, he did, he sang "throw your arms around me" and it was beautiful. after that the futurheads came out and played about 10 songs. they were alright but got boring because it sounded repetitive. then after maybe 30 minutes pearl jam came out. with the sound of master/slave blaring out in the p.a.'s 10,000 people screamed and cheered. the opening song felt predictable because of what had happened in roskilde 2000. "long road" was a perfect start. then they played various songs that are a part of their live act. then they belted out "love reign o'er me". i don't know if it had been performed before. but it was perfect, had a lump in my throat because of eddie's perfect screaming in the song. well, to cut a long story short the second encore was emotional. eddie had a long speech about how long it'd been since roskilde. and that the return was not a closure, it wasn't the end of the track etc... and that relatives and close ones to the victims of roskilde 2000 sat in an enclosed balcony. they were watching the whole show and we applauded them. i think it was a pj crew member who filmed the show from the same balcony. i think it was going to be a gift for the relatives and close ones.

i dunno, a lot of positive things happened. one little ugly thing happened right next to me. there was a guy who fainted, i think. a lot of people saw this and was concerned if he was okay. he gave us the okay sign but fainted again. one guy, who probably was his mate took care of him and walked him out for a fresh breath of air or something. that was a relief because i think a lot of people were concerned about this sort of stuff happening. it was very hot in the venue and people had been pulled out in the front. something was a little bit of unnerving for pearl jam. but nothing serious, thankfully, happened.

so, i will hunt down a live bootleg of this show because there's no official bootlegs of this tour. :yabbse-sad: anyway, this was great show and even better setlist. this will be a night that i will remember for a long time.

"love reign o'er me" live from copenhagen

http://download.yousendit.com/C509D3B57BC0EA33

Bethie

Awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience. I love when Ed comes out before the opening band. I get so antsy during the opening band. I've been listening to Live at The Gorge. Sometimes when I'm listening to their bootlegs I get overly excited and want to see them right away. I decided a long time ago that next time they tour, I'm going to see them in Seattle.
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

Quote from: Bethie on June 28, 2007, 01:33:04 AM
Awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience. I love when Ed comes out before the opening band. I get so antsy during the opening band. I've been listening to Live at The Gorge. Sometimes when I'm listening to their bootlegs I get overly excited and want to see them right away. I decided a long time ago that next time they tour, I'm going to see them in Seattle.
i think i will be more excited when i'm listening to live bootlegs of their shows. especially when i saw some live clips from the copenhagen show at youtube. you remember exactly what they played or how eddie sang. i'd also like to see a show at seattle too or anywhere in the u.s. or some obscure place in greenland...  :yabbse-smiley:

i should buy the live box set too, and hopefully the copenhagen gig will available to download. or even better, released on cd in the near future.

edit:

the end of "black" from copenhagen:

"love reign o'er me"

MacGuffin

AT&T errs in edit of anti-Bush lyrics

Lyrics performed by Pearl Jam criticizing President Bush should not have been censored from a webcast by AT&T Inc., a company spokesman acknowledged Thursday.

AT&T, through its Blue Room entertainment site, offered a webcast of the band's headlining performance Sunday at Lollapalooza in Chicago. The event was shown with a brief delay so the company could bleep out excessive profanity or nudity.

But monitors hired by AT&T through a vendor went further and cut two lines from a song to the tune of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall." One was "George Bush, leave this world alone" the second time it was sung, and the other was "George Bush find yourself another home," according to the band's Web site.

AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said that the silencing was a mistake and that the company was working with the vendor that produces the webcasts to avoid future misunderstandings. He said AT&T was working to secure the rights to post the entire song — part of a sing-along with the audience — on the Blue Room site.

Blue Room offers live concerts, sports interviews, video game advice and other entertainment content that requires a high-speed Internet connection. Although viewing the content is free, San Antonio-based AT&T uses the site as a way to promote its DSL broadband services.

Besides Pearl Jam's show, AT&T showed 21 other performances ranging from Pete Yorn to G. Love and Special Sauce during the three-day Lollapalooza music festival. Coe said no other complaints have been made about censoring.

Pearl Jam said in a posting on its Web site that in the future, it would work harder to ensure live broadcasts or webcasts are "free from arbitrary edits."

"If a company that is controlling a webcast is cutting out bits of our performance — not based on laws, but on their own preferences and interpretations — fans have little choice but to watch the censored version," they said.

The alternative rock band and Internet advocates were also using the incident to try to draw attention to the prospects of Internet service providers like AT&T deciding to give preferential treatment to content they favor or have deals with, leaving the rest on slower-moving Internet bandwidths.

Jenny Toomey, executive director of the Future of Music Coalition, said that although net neutrality wasn't being violated in this case, it still raises questions about whether AT&T and other service providers can be trusted not to hurt artists.

Internet speeds that depend only on the size of files, not the kind of content that's in them, is a democratizing force, she said.

"We've got to protect that, and artists get that," Toomey said.

AT&T and other providers would like the ability to charge more for transmitting certain kinds of data, like live video, faster or more reliably than other data but have insisted such premium services would help, not hurt, consumers.

Coe said, regardless, the issue of net neutrality is entirely separate from the mistake during the Pearl Jam show.

"This was our own Web site," he noted.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

I'm going to see Eddie Vedder solo.

Less than a month.
who likes movies anyway

hedwig

beth did you watch the vh1 rock honors the who tribute last night?

i'd say pj tied with flaming lips for best of the night. good stuff.

mogwai

Quote from: Bethie on July 18, 2008, 01:17:42 AM
I'm going to see Eddie Vedder solo.

Less than a month.

have a good time, bethie. i bought two bootlegs from the recent tour. west palm beach and the 2nd show at madison square garden. msg is better because it features mike mccready singing the intro to "black diamond" feat. ace frehley.

mogwai

if there's any completists or someone who wants a show of their 2000 tour then there's this one:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=286658

all 72 shows from the world tour.

hedwig

Quote from: mogwai on July 19, 2008, 01:10:31 AM
i bought two bootlegs from the recent tour. west palm beach
ooh i want that bootleg. i was at that show.

Bethie

Quote from: Hedwig on July 18, 2008, 10:53:32 AM
beth did you watch the vh1 rock honors the who tribute last night?

i'd say pj tied with flaming lips for best of the night. good stuff.

Of course. When I got to work the day it was going to be on, my friend came up to me and is like "I know you're late and have a lot to do but I just wanted to tell you.. if you didn't know..." and I stopped him, "I know. pearl jam is on the who tribute tonight." I was at the gym when the show started and thought maybe I'd make it home before Pearl Jam were due to perform. I decided not to take the chance and walked on the treadmill and extra 30 minutes. haha.

I'm going to check out some of those boots. Thanks. Everytime I go into a music store I always scan the PJ section to see what boots they have. I've found quite a few used for cheap.
who likes movies anyway

squints

PJ Boots sounds like a good name for a A)band B)Detective C)Kitty Cat
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

mogwai

Pearl Jam to reissue 'Ten'

Pearl Jam are reissuing their 1991 album 'Ten'.

The new expanded edition of the record is available to pre-order from Pearljam.com before it hits the shops on March 23, 2009.

The album is the first in a series of reissues set to be released to celebrate the band's 20th anniversary in 2011.

Four different versions of 'Ten' will be released, with each edition featuring the original and remastered version, plus a remix of the album by producer Brendan O'Brien.

The following features can be found across the editions:

DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance
LP of the band's 1992 'Drop In The Park' concert
Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder's original vocal dubs
Bonus tracks including 'Brother', 'Just A Girl', 'State Of Love', 'Breath And A Scream', '2,000 Mile Blues' and 'Evil Little Goat'
Replica Eddie Vedder composition notebook filled with personal notes and images from the collections of Vedder and Jeff Ament