zama

Started by samsong, April 29, 2018, 02:41:36 AM

samsong

lucrecia martel's latest.  i've only seen the headless woman and i really don't remember it at all outside of it leaving me out in the cold.   zama has me clamoring to revisit it and to watch her other two films asap, as she's clearly brilliant. 

zama is pure cinema in the most ascetic sense.  alluring and mesmerizing in its formal and intellectual rigor while providing an otherworldly sensuous experience.  it plays like herzog by way of bresson with a dash of bunuel.   i left moderately impressed and decidedly in the admire-more-than-enjoy camp.  i don't think it helped that the crowd i saw this with seemed to completely hate it and the energy in the room made approaching this already difficult film that much more of a chore.  in the hours since leaving the theater though, i haven't been able to stop thinking about it and its greatness has come into focus.  i suspect subsequent viewings will prove enriching with huge upside in the enjoyment factor.  in the age of marvel and audience spoon feeding at an all-time high, this is a welcome correcting of posture.  can't wait to see this again.