INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

Astrostic

i got 4 tix to the oct. 8 showing today.  I'm so pumped for this.

bonanzataz

wait, how? are you a lincoln center member?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Astrostic

yes i am, I joined specifically so I could order tickets early, and the subscription to Film Comment is a nice bonus.  but yeah, I faxed my order to them and within the day my order appeared on my online credit card bill, so I knew that I'd gotten all of the tickets that I ordered.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ginger on August 01, 2006, 06:54:51 PM
According to IMDB, this is 168 minutes long!

Quote from: modage on August 26, 2006, 08:14:24 PM
the film is 168 min and will screen Oct 8th and 9th at the NYFF.

INLAND EMPIRE Adds 4 Minutes to Runtime

From the Venice Film Festival's site:
Sept. 6th at 6:30 p.m. SALA GRANDE
Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement to David Lynch followed by:
INLAND EMPIRE by David Lynch (USA, 172') cast: Laura Dern, Jeremy Irons, Justin Theroux, Julia Ormond.

Quote from: Sunrise on August 01, 2006, 07:28:32 PM

The more Lynch the better...

Quote from: polkablues on July 29, 2006, 02:18:30 PM"No good movie is too long, just as no bad movie is short enough."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Venice honors David Lynch

Understanding director David Lynch's films is never easy.

But with his new picture "Inland Empire" the master of mystery and the macabre is more impenetrable than ever, prompting a journalist to jokingly ask after his mental health.

In his latest collaboration with actress Laura Dern, Lynch, who receives a Golden Lion lifetime achievement award from the Venice Film Festival later on Wednesday, blurs the boundaries between one story and the next, and between dream and reality.

Nearly three hours long, the most obvious plotline centers around the making of a movie and how the lead actress fears the wrath of her husband when she has an affair with her co-star.

But where that story begins and others, including one set in Poland, begin, is impossible to tell.

Asked if the film was supposed to make sense, Lynch told a news conference following a press screening: "It's supposed to make perfect sense."

Lynch relies heavily on the score to create tension and atmosphere, and the movie features a series of claustrophobic scenes following characters down darkened corridors and fearfully entering darkened rooms.

Lynch was in no mood to help journalists fathom the film's meaning.

When asked to explain the appearance of three actors wearing rabbits' heads, one of whom stands in the corner doing the ironing, the 60-year-old replied: "No, I can't explain that."

Another reporter asking about a different aspect of "Inland Empire" was told:

"I really would like to be able to explain, but the film ends up being the explanation. That's what's so terrible about press conferences. It's all about the film, not about the words."

And in reply to a question about his wellbeing, he said: "Thank you for asking. I'm doing really well."

KING OF WEIRD

The director of cult classic like "Eraserhead," "The Elephant Man" and "Mulholland Drive" and a television series that spawned a generation of copycats -- "Twin Peaks" -- suggested audiences tend to try too hard to find exact meaning in his work.

"You should be not afraid of using your intuition and feel, think your way through," he said. "Have the experience and trust your inner knowing of what it is."

Lynch explained how he launched into his latest project without knowing exactly what he wanted to do next, and Dern, who has starred in previous Lynch movies "Blue Velvet" and "Wild at Heart" called the experience "unique."

"We worked over the course of about 2-1/2 years and each day was a different direction, each day was a different idea because we did not have a script we were following," she said.

Lynch added: "Little by little by little it started revealing itself."

He stressed the importance of sound in making a picture, and attacked the now common practice of dubbing over films after they have been shot on camera.

"Cinema to me is sound and picture rolling along together in time and it's so important, the sound, how it goes with the picture, how it marries.

"I think that this dubbing of pictures has got to end. It ruins the picture, completely and totally ruins the picture."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INLAND EMPIRE Press Conference
Audio and photos from the INLAND EMPIRE Press Conference can be found here:

http://www.kafard.com/davidlynch/davidlynch_conferencevenice.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INLAND EMPIRE Exclusive Photos from the Venice Film Festival Pressbook

http://blogvetriolo.blogspot.com/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Astrostic

that last photo is so gorgeous, almost looks like an outtake from Mulholland Dr.  I'm glad to see that the move to video hasn't sacrificed anything in the quality of his image, at least based on these stills.

Fernando

For Neon's pleasure, a good pic from Venice.

One happy family.

MacGuffin

David Lynch puzzle premieres at Venice

Enigmatic US director David Lynch presented his first movie in five years Wednesday at the Venice Film Festival, where the 60-year-old will become the youngest recipient of a Golden Lion for lifetime achievement later this week.

Five years after his 2001 movie, "Mulholland Drive", Lynch returns to taunting his audience with a diabolical three-hour puzzle entitled "INLAND EMPIRE".

Lynch's dark tale is a movie within a movie in which he takes us through the nightmarish labyrinth of the inner life of a Hollywood actress, played by Laura Dern, who co-produced the film.

"It's supposed to make perfect sense," Lynch said with a mischievous smile during a news conference in Venice to present his movie.

Shot in Los Angeles and Poland, the film switches back and forth between reality and fantasy, between the real-life actress and her character, and is stuffed with nightmarish images, jarring noise and dark predictions.

Lynch is aware the film's viewers will have to work, and doled out advice to fans when pressed by journalists on how to interpret this jigsaw puzzle without instructions.

"Every film is like going into a new world, going into the unknown. But you should be not afraid of using your intuition, and feel and think your way through," said the director.

"Cinema is such a beautiful language. Cinema is the thing that deals with things beyond words, and it's so beautiful. So to go with cinema is like going with music, your intellect travels along with it, it's so fantastic. Go in and have an experience in a different world."

Lynch, a breaker of cinematic rules, makes demands on the viewer with constant switchbacks and jarring imagery, and admits he often did not know where to go next in the shaping of the film, shot out of sequence.

"The cut to next can be so surprising and that's just the miracle of cinema -- how we go from one place to another and the possibilities of those places to go to are kinda infinite. How we can see ourselves and find ourselves in there is kinda what gets me going."

Justin Theroux, who plays the lover of the Dern character in the movie, said he always thought of a David Lynch movie "as buying a new jazz record. The best way is to let the film wash over you. Sit back and go on that ride."

Dern, who previously worked with Lynch in "Wild at Heart", puts in a powerful performance. "My experience on this film was very moving to say the least.

Working on and off over two and a half years, the actors had to work without an overall script. "Each day a different direction, each day a new idea," said Dern.

"All of us, like you, were experiencing David's vision for the first time because there wasn't a laid-out linear script or plan from the outset. The film rolled over us and our experience of it was very like yours."

Jeremy Irons, Justin Theroux and Harry Dean Stanton also star in the movie, which features the voice of Naomi Watts.

Dern herself will see the movie for the first time at the world premiere Wednesday night.

"The truth is I didn't know who I was playing and I still don't know who I play, and I look forward to seeing the film tonight to know more."

Lynch, who will receive his Golden Lion on Saturday, writes and performs one of the songs on the soundtrack.

"I'm really honoured to get this award. It's strange. Just yesterday, I was 19 and now I'm getting this award today," he told a packed news conference.

The director, who shot to international fame 15 years ago with the hit TV series "Twin Peaks", said he still could not understand the series' worldwide appeal.

"I don't understand. There was no real logical reason why it was a success all around the world. It just turned out to be that way. I have zero desire to go back into TV."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 06, 2006, 08:45:57 PM...

"Every film is like going into a new world, going into the unknown. But you should be not afraid of using your intuition, and feel and think your way through," said the director.

"The cut to next can be so surprising and that's just the miracle of cinema -- how we go from one place to another and the possibilities of those places to go to are kinda infinite. How we can see ourselves and find ourselves in there is kinda what gets me going."

I could listen to him talk about film all day. His enthusiasm is infectious. Jealously cannot describe how I feel about those of you lucky enough to be seeing this well before the rest of us.

Ghostboy

The reviews that have been trickling in have been pretty negative. And while I don't ever trust initial reviews from festivals, they are something of a barometer of what to expect. Thus, I predict that:

Modage will hate this.
Neon will like/love it.
Pubrick will be perplexed, but will come to realize he loves it.
I will dismiss it, even as I admire parts of it.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 07, 2006, 01:07:25 PM
The reviews that have been trickling in have been pretty negative. And while I don't ever trust initial reviews from festivals, they are something of a barometer of what to expect. Thus, I predict that:

Modage will hate this.
Neon will like/love it.
Pubrick will be perplexed, but will come to realize he loves it.
I will dismiss it, even as I admire parts of it.

Hey Nostradamus, how about some links?

grand theft sparrow

I had a feeling that was going to be the case.  3 hours long, long shoot, no script, it just seems like it was designed to be his critical failure since Dune.

I still want to see the shit out of it though.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: VarietyRunning time: 179 MIN.

Quote from: ScreenDaily.com189mins.

:shock:

The running time changes again.  I know it's just inaccurate timing but I want to believe he's cut different versions of the movie and is screening them in different places.  Or better yet, that it just runs longer for some people than others, even if they're at the same screening.

And what is the likelihood of there still being tickets for the NYFF screening?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 07, 2006, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on September 07, 2006, 01:21:20 PM
Hey Nostradamus, how about some links?

Sorry - there I was counting on MacGuffin to do the work for me!

Variety: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117931480?categoryId=31&cs=1

Screen Daily: http://www.screendaily.com/story.asp?storyid=27546&r=true

The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1866291,00.html

Disapointing, but I think I can still go in fresh with this one.  I can't trust anyone anymore anyway.