INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

modage

Quote from: hackspaced on September 07, 2006, 01:50:42 PM
I had a feeling that was going to be the case.  3 hours long, long shoot, no script, it just seems like it was designed to be his critical failure since Dune.
I still want to see the shit out of it though.
thats my feeling as well. 
Quote from: Ghostboy on September 07, 2006, 01:07:25 PM
Modage will hate this.
i'm going to go in with my mind at its most open.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Variety says it looks awful, but the photos I see in this thread are rather beautiful. I think that, for better or worse, it will have to be seen to be believed.

I think I'm going in the right direction by preferring The Guardian's opinion to Variety's, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

hedwig

The reviews that have been trickling in have been pretty negative. And while I don't ever trust initial reviews from festivals, they are something of a barometer of what to expect. Thus, I predict that:

Modage will hate this.
Neon will like/love it.
Pubrick will be perplexed, but will come to realize he loves it.
I will dismiss it, even as I admire parts of it.
you forgot one..

Hedwig will consider it lynch's best movie. i'm basing this prediction partly on the reviews (including the negative ones), interviews, "story" descriptions, the lack of script. i predict it will be the high point of the astonishing evolution we've witnessed lynch undergo as a filmmaker throughout his career. i also predict modage will really like it, and you will love it.

then again it's possible that
Quote from: Ghostboy in the King Kong thread on January 05, 2004, 12:07:59 PM
I just have too much blind faith/optimism for my own good
but i doubt it. predicting is fun.  :(

JG

these reviews mean nothing.  i need to get tickets to the film forum the eigth though.  absolutely. 

Ghostboy

I think my opinion is based entirely on that awful Avid thing - which, even if it's not a part of the film, became entrenched in my head as what a Lynch film shot on DV might be like. I really really hope I'll love it, but I'm worried that the grand peak of his evolutionary streak was Mulholland Drive, and that this will be nothing more than beating around the same bush ad nauseum.

But still, I'm full of hope, and full of envy for those of you who are seeing it in NY.

Pubrick

Pubrick will be perplexed, but will come to realize he loves it.
haha i don't know how you did it but i've just thought about it and you might be right. i'm not gonna read the reviews even tho it probably doesn't matter due to the nature of Lynch.

i didn't like the avid dvd either, the movie looked embarrassing, but i expect what lynch has been saying is quite telling: to forget what you think you know about video narrative and follow yourself into the film as if it's a completely open (GAPING if you will).. uh, ocean of dreams? i'm trying to use his terminology here. i think mully d stayed close to the shoreline compared to what this will be. in the same way that kubrick was a journey of day through night, i feel lynch becoming a story of land through ocean.

one more prediction: hedwig will overdramatize his review with too many adjectives in an effort to rebalance the thread pre-emptively, while everyone else will mostly not bother with any substantial review beyond "eh i liked it, i felt cold cos i was under an air conditioning unit, my hand felt warm cos i was sitting on it, i hav a slight cough and my throat itches. then i ate a burrito, i don't know why."
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 07, 2006, 07:55:40 PM
I think my opinion is based entirely on that awful Avid thing...

Quote from: Pubrick on September 07, 2006, 09:32:40 PM
i didn't like the avid dvd either...

Hmmm.  Was this a short you saw on davidlynch.com, his shorts dvd, or something altogther different?

hedwig

Quote from: Pwaybloe on September 08, 2006, 03:15:14 PM
Quote from: Ghostboy on September 07, 2006, 07:55:40 PM
I think my opinion is based entirely on that awful Avid thing...

Quote from: Pubrick on September 07, 2006, 09:32:40 PM
i didn't like the avid dvd either...

Hmmm.  Was this a short you saw on davidlynch.com, his shorts dvd, or something altogther different?

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8659.0

Pwaybloe

Well, great.  I swear I did a search for this beforehand. 

bonanzataz

fuck. all sold out. looks like plan b is in order.

see you all there with my snakeskin jacket and a handmade sign that stinks of desperation.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

grand theft sparrow

I'll be right next to you.

JG

bonanzataz

Quote from: bonanzataz on September 10, 2006, 12:58:53 PM
fuck. all sold out. looks like plan b is in order.

see you all there with my snakeskin jacket and a handmade sign that stinks of desperation.

haha, fuck plan b, i pulled some strings and got a press pass instead! get to go backstage and everything!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

meatwad

can i borrow your snakeskin jacket? i need to steal your plan b

unless someone here knows a way i can get a ticket, without paying a shit load of money

Jeremy Blackman

Negative reviews of a Lynch movie are about as relevant as A.O. Scott reviewing paintings. Most critics have no clue how to approach a Lynch film, let alone understand (I use that word loosely) or appreciate one. Lost Highway is a pretty good litmus test (note the 47% Rotten Tomatoes score), and it looks like this will get a similar reaction. A healthy majority of the thumbs-down critics will respond with infantile "it doesn't make sense" arguments, and we will ignore them.