INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

Fernando

Sleepless

In the meantime should we debate the correct pronunciation?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

I think it's safe to say the emphasis is on the O, but I have no idea how to pronounce a double x in Spanish. If that even is a thing.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 20, 2012, 01:06:15 AM
Does anyone know if "Axxon" has a legitimate real-life meaning? My search skills fail me. There are apparently hundreds of companies with the name, plus a few bands and DJs. Surely the word must come from somewhere.

It is a name... rarely. But that's not a satisfactory answer.

Most importantly, Spanish speakers, please explain this:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axxón

Google translates "Axxón" as "Scientist," but only as a proper noun referring to that publication. How on earth could a word like "scientist" only be a proper noun?

Why isn't this sufficient: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/axon
under the paving stones.

Fernando

got an answer! p was half right.

this is his literally response:

''its a mutation of axón, the connection between nerve cells and action*. that was the idea. the word had to take part of the computer program name and had to be five letters to leave three spaces for the numbers. back then we were in the DOS on PC** days and the names had to be eight characters max.''

* action in spanish is acción, the double cc is pronounced like an x.

so axón + acción = axxón

** the online magazine was made in the 80's

Jeremy Blackman

Thank you!

Pretty interesting. It still doesn't explain why so many companies go by the double-x variation, though. And it's still confusing why Google translated it as Scientist. (Has that word come to mean "scientist" through context because of that publication?)

I'm sure Lynch just randomly saw the word somewhere and decided to use it. Or he could have made it up.

chalfont

Quote from: matt35mm on February 24, 2007, 12:28:30 AM
OH, and it just wouldn't be right not to have a mention, somewhere in this thread, of how gorgeous Karolina Gruszka is!  By far the prettiest prostitute in the movie!

Totally agree!!!!!!

chalfont

A great visual version of "the Polish Poem" (FWWM and MD also included)

DBeyond

Quote from: chalfont on April 01, 2013, 08:19:12 AM
Quote from: matt35mm on February 24, 2007, 12:28:30 AM
OH, and it just wouldn't be right not to have a mention, somewhere in this thread, of how gorgeous Karolina Gruszka is!  By far the prettiest prostitute in the movie!

Totally agree!!!!!!

Actually I disagree. This woman, Kristen Kerr, is stunning, her smile...everything...she owns!!!

Jeremy Blackman

SamFZGames, I moved your post here, which is sort of where this discussion is happening now:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=10711.msg330952#msg330952

SamFZGames

Drenk

I found this old interview, I don't know if it was posted. Always nice to hear him talk with his hands. And I know this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

Ascension.