[proposal: xixax collective story.]

Started by cron, April 25, 2004, 01:27:58 PM

Raikus

C'mon, everyone knows the P stands for 'Prick.'

You may not have liked the direction, P, but that's the purpose of the excercise--to continue other people's work, not domineer it and make it yours.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

what's the problem?

SHAFTR's addition had nothing to do with anything that had gone on before, how was that continuing anyone's work? i even suggested a compromise and he reacted like a baby. jesus christ. it's not that confusing.

and if u want to abandon logic by not understand what i just said, u can't even argue with what i posted in the story thread, it's not different to what anyone else had done. OH WAIT it was different cos i actually tried to create a coherent character and connect it to the story we were telling.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Quote from: Pubrickwhat's the problem?

SHAFTR's addition had nothing to do with anything that had gone on before, how was that continuing anyone's work? i even suggested a compromise and he reacted like a baby. jesus christ. it's not that confusing.

and if u want to abandon logic by not understand what i just said, u can't even argue with what i posted in the story thread, it's not different to what anyone else had done. OH WAIT it was different cos i actually tried to create a coherent character and connect it to the story we were telling.
The problem is he inacted a scene change which was completely fine. Then you neglect to carry his story and throw in another scene change immediately all under the ruse of "his contribution not being good enough."

That's lame. And it's lame of you to make that pompous decision.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

And it took about a day for the experiment to fail.

Creative group activities are such good ideas...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenAnd it took about a day for the experiment to fail.

Creative group activities are such good ideas...

Hey hey hey, you ain't seen nothing yet, compadre.

But c'mon,  that Creed thing was genuinely cheap. Let's try to avoid those uninspired transitions.
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusThe problem is he inacted a scene change which was completely fine. Then you neglect to carry his story and throw in another scene change immediately all under the ruse of "his contribution not being good enough."

That's lame. And it's lame of you to make that pompous decision.
hav u even read the story?

after JB's "twist", there were TWO new stories begun in the succeeding posts. how is what i did any different to the trend that was developing? ranemaka started a completely new story because JB did the first flashback to ignore the pitbull incident, and it lead itself to a new story. SHAFTR then ignored Ranemaka's bit and started another one again. and i havn't even mentioned that ranemaka's ended with the dude touching himself inside her house! how the FUCK can u pretend that is an ending? if anything it is a set-up for a million things that could go wrong, or right depending on how freaky she is.

seriously, the only thing ruined here is continuity, and there is no way u can pin that on me.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

I completely agree that the continuity is all over the place. If you guys want to make it work, try to keep it linear with a couple of character introductions that carry through. Plus, someone needs to have an act structure at the very lease to help the story go in a direction.

I read SHAFTR's entry as transition due to ranemaka's pretty stable ending. What was wrong with taking the story from there? The only way the story is going to work is if people base it pretty much off the last poster instead of creating 30 paragraph exerpts and try to hammer it into something cohesive. And it's not just you, P, making transitions, but you were the first to basically throw someone's contribution back into their face which was rude.

The story is going to take twists that someone doesn't like, but everyone needs to stick with the twists and flesh them out better before throwing in a completely new one.

Please. If you're unhappy with it or you want it to change for better, throw your contribution.  :wink:
context, context, context.

Raikus

Quote from: cronopioPlease. If you're unhappy with it or you want it to change for better, throw your contribution.  :wink:
I wasn't criticizing. I was trying to critique. From a reader's standpoint the story is hard to grasp so far. I may try to contribute in the future, but with the day I'm having I'd probably end up killing the main character if I wrote something now.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusAnd it's not just you, P, making transitions, but you were the first to basically throw someone's contribution back into their face which was rude.

The story is going to take twists that someone doesn't like, but everyone needs to stick with the twists and flesh them out better before throwing in a completely new one.
why are u being like this? oh u remembered that u hate me, ok that's cool.

u are constantly contradicting urself with double-standards. why is SHAFTR's thing so damn miraculous that it cannot be attached to mine? or given the same treatment that u granted his handling of Ranemaka's? it's a matter of opinion that i was "rude", i found it incredibly rude that he started a whole new story when it wasn't necessary. but instead of crying like a little girl i changed the story. it's not even like i started a RANDOM fuggin thing like he did, i connected it to what everyone else had no problem talking about. and even THEN to appease him i offered a way to keep his story intact, to start a parallel thread about the apartment complex.

listen, that's all i hav to say about it, if u want to think u "won" this argument based on my "rudeness", whatever. i think ppl can read this themsleves and see that i'm the one being fair, and that u just wanted to chime in with ur "prick" comment.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaikusIf you guys want to make it work, try to keep it linear with a couple of character introductions that carry through. Plus, someone needs to have an act structure at the very lease to help the story go in a direction.
Where'd you come from, Syd Field?

By the way, creative disagreements are healthy.

molly

Maybe you should abandom COLLECTIVE STORY idea, and change it to a writing "contest". Someone should make guidelines for the story, and everybody will make his story with that. It would be fun to see how the stories will differ, don't you think?
When i say "contest", i mean that the award should be something symbolical.

cine

Quote from: mollyMaybe you should abandom COLLECTIVE STORY idea, and change it to a writing "contest".
No, a collective story is more fun... which reminds me:

Quote from: Earlier in this thread, IIt should be something fun to start with where people can happily add something a bit surreal but helpful to the story.

Quote from: Then RegularKarateYes, FUN is the key here... if you try to make it too serious, it's gonna get fucked right out the door. Too many conflicting styles and levels of intelligence.

At least START with something fun.

But we were ignored.

Raikus

Sorry P, don't know you, don't hate you. I already explained that I could see SHAFTR's entry working as a transition. So read what I already said or don't.

You didn't just write a different entry, you responded in this thread with distaste for the previous entry:
Quote from: Pubrickuh, or only let them happen when they actually add sumthing to the character and not just begin a whole new story randomly, disregarding all that has gone on before.

yeah.
That's the rude comment I was talking about. But you're right. I had thought up the P = Prick connection months ago and this just provided the perfect opportunity for me to spring it.

Oh yes, oh yes. I'm so giddy now.
---------------------------------------------
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RaikusIf you guys want to make it work, try to keep it linear with a couple of character introductions that carry through. Plus, someone needs to have an act structure at the very lease to help the story go in a direction.
Where'd you come from, Syd Field?

By the way, creative disagreements are healthy.
Damn, sniffed me out. And I agree creative disagreements are healthy. I was just trying to add my two cense about the story thus far. I apologize if it read as anything other than that. I'm just trying to apply my English major to some use.

ono

I think the arguments that have broken out over this already are a shame, and that's probably why I stayed out of participating up to this point.

I've seen this kind of endeavor on other sites, and it's never really successful unless there is a SOLID sense of organization and planning.  So if you want my advice, and are serious about doing this, I'd say step back, take a deep breath, and let crono try to get things together a bit better (it was his idea).  I say you go in a very certain rotational order, or at least try to stick to one post per hour, or maybe a the little "dibs" thing Cinephile mentioned.  Not that you need a whole forum for this, but it might help if both threads you were working in were in the same forum.

Bottom line is, you put the cart before the horse, and that's why all the chaos.  Stop.  Fix that.  You'll be fine.  Just a few thoughts.  Carry on.