Tarantino - Auteur?

Started by nelski, September 17, 2003, 12:33:43 PM

ono

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: lamasI honestly think there are plenty of people who could do what he does.

many do, rarely are their films any good
Yep.  And that's what makes Tarantino an auteur.  Case in point: Guy Ritchie.  Watch Lock, Stock... or Snatch.  Feel your brain ache at their insipidness.  Then come back and enjoy and savor what a difference Tarantino makes, and how skillfully he can change it up, as proven with Jackie Brown.  I'm not necessarily saying Snatch. was awful.  It had its moments, but ultimately ended up a pointless exercise in style.  Lock, Stock... OTOH was horrible.  And you could pull out a lot of wannabe-directors (read: auteurs, read: pop-icons, read: the next great ... whatever) who've tried to emulate Tarantino, and it's all come out flat.  This is why originality is so rewarded and sought after, and why the auteur theory has so much truth and validity to it.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

So what you're basically saying, Onomatopoeia, is that the wannabes are flat while Tarantino himself is a refreshing, tasty beverage. With alot of bubbles. That I can agree with.
One twist I respect Ritchie for is his use of actual criminals for crime movies.
Although his use of Madonna neutrals him out.
As for my vote, the only reason I said the whole team is "auteur" is because if I put a large amount of work into a movie like say Kill Bill, I would want my credit when it is due.  :wink:  I wouldn't want ALL of it to go to the director, who probably puts alot of thanks into his production team when the public isn't looking.
It's probably just tough to fit "The 4th Film by Quentin Tarantino and a numerous others" on a poster.  The writing is what I love his work most for.

soixante

QT is an auteur.  In fact, True Romance seems more like a QT film than a Tony Scott film.  QT's voice is so strong in that film that any number of directors could have filmed it, and it would have turned out the same (if the cast was the same).  Nothing against Tony Scott, who is a good director, but the entire sensibility of True Romance was overwhelmingly QT-esque.

I feel the same way about Natural Born Killers.  Even though they revised QT's original script, QT's original vision is so strong that it permeates the entire project.

So the Auteur Theory works, although the director is not always the auteur on a film.  Is Play it Again Sam a Woody Allen film, or a Herb Ross film?  Whose sensibility takes precedence in that film?

Directors like Scorsese and Altman have a very strong imprint on their films, even if they didn't write the scripts.  Writers like Neil Simon and Paul Schrader have strong voices, which shine through no matter who directs their material.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Quote from: soixanteQT is an auteur.  In fact, True Romance seems more like a QT film than a Tony Scott film.  QT's voice is so strong in that film that any number of directors could have filmed it, and it would have turned out the same (if the cast was the same).  Nothing against Tony Scott, who is a good director, but the entire sensibility of True Romance was overwhelmingly QT-esque.

Strange you say that since Scott changed the structure of QT's original script to a more linear one, and also changed the ending to a happier one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

A few scenes were re-arranged, but the content remained pretty much the same.  

True enough, the ending was changed, because major studios always demand upbeat finales.  But everything else leading up to it was very QT.  

It was an interesting mix, to see a highly mainstream Hollywood director interpret the work of a maverick, independent writer.  It turned out to be a good match, as Scott's penchant for quick cutting and balls-out action sequences served Tarantino's B-movie sensibility perfectly.  Maybe I'm not giving Scott his due, as his cinematic style did pump up Tarantino's material.  Also, Scott has a rather dark sensibility, displayed in movies like The Fan and Revenge, which dovetails nicely with Tarantino's material.  So in fairness, perhaps with my first post I short-changed Tony Scott's contributions to the film.

However, one can read the script of True Romance and get the same buzz that one gets from watching the finished film.  The material just jumps off the page and keeps you riveted.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SHAFTR

Ya, a self professed auteur (note the 4th Film by Quentin Tarantino in the Kill Bill trailer).

I define auteur like this...
do people generally say I'm going to go see a genre film / film with an actor
or do they say they are going to see a film by (insert director's name)

if it is the latter...they are an auteur.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SHAFTRif it is the latter...they are an auteur.
i am not a big tarentino fan....but this has made me think twice about all his films.

SoNowThen

Quote from: soixanteDirectors like Scorsese and Altman have a very strong imprint on their films, even if they didn't write the scripts.

But even on the scripts which he's not credited on, Marty still did rewrites (supposedly he and DeNiro did the final draft of Raging Bull together). Also, he always picks scripts where his favorite themes are prevelent, hence his films continue on the "story" of his whole career, and can be studied all together as one constantly evolving idea.

And as to Altman, well his scripts are scant at best. He's getting massive improv and quaterbacking the whole thing. So he's basically writing (with the cameras) on set.

As to the "not crediting the other crew members" thing, well, nothing against grips (because they're absolutely invaluable on set), but do you really think the guy who sets up some c-stands has any effect on the story QT is gonna tell in Kill Bill? It's kind like saying that an author of a novel gets too much credit, and the guy who put the cover jacket on the hardcover copy is looked over. They're a needed position, but a faceless and ambiguous one. Too much input from too many people more often than not will ruin a good project.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.