Locations...

Started by metroshane, March 10, 2004, 08:54:28 AM

metroshane

What's your technique on aquiring location usage?  It seems everyone out there is trying to take as much as they can from you.

There is an abandoned gas station I'd like to shoot at for a day and owner is trying to rob me blind.  I mean, it's not making any money right now...just sitting there.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I've always just kept looking until I find some place that would let me shoot for free...luckily, my films have been pretty limited to houses/offices/etc. , which you can always find plenty of. I suppose shooting guerilla style at the gas station is out of the question?

I've found that if I say I'm a student filmmaker, keyword being student, people are a lot more open, and they automatically assume no money is involved.

metroshane

Good point about the "student angle".  It's just when I start my proposal, I see dollar signs in there eyes.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

SoNowThen

I always try to use student, but I'm generally incapable of "lying", so when I try to emphasize the student bit, I start blushing and mumbling, and people know the fix is in. I usually get screwed out of locations.

My friend, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit. Walks in to car dealerships and swings a deal to 'have' a bmw for an hour for us to shoot driving around. Goes into a hotel, says we need it to film in, they say "yes", he says we'll probably be discharging blanks as part of an action scene, they say "that's okay". It consistently amazes me.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThen

My friend, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit. Walks in to car dealerships and swings a deal to 'have' a bmw for an hour for us to shoot driving around. Goes into a hotel, says we need it to film in, they say "yes", he says we'll probably be discharging blanks as part of an action scene, they say "that's okay". It consistently amazes me.

I HATE that. No matter how cool or disarming I try to be, I still can't schmooze like that. I guess some people are just born with it.

metroshane

That person should definitely get screen credit.

SoNowThen

I'm making him produce my first feature. How the hell else would I get it done?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm making him produce my first feature. How the hell else would I get it done?

Is it possible to force people into producing a film for you?

Cause I have loads of producers I could force at gun point...

SoNowThen

It's kinda a marriage of circumstance: he's not willing to sit in a room for a year and pound out a script to shoot, and I'm incapable of getting the ball rolling on anything above a no-budget video project.

bluejaytwist

best tip i have found:
yes the student thing works well.
also, if you live in a big city, drive a few blocks
example:

i live in vancouver bee cee
hollywood north, and early on i found getting locations were a pain

so i drove 20 minutes to surrey, or delta etc where people are a bit less jaded and they willingly open their doors to 'the movie people'

small town suckers i call them.

i have since developed the skill of bullshitting and now locations arent an issue anymore.
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

picolas

- hide the camera in fruit.
- talk to the oldest possible person in the store.
- strategically develop a lifelong friendship based on trust and mutual respect with the owner of the location 1-3 years before the shoot date. then knock them out with rice in a sock. they'll take you to court. on the day of the trial, wait until everyone's in the court house and THEN ask whoever's on duty at the location if you can shoot there. the replacement will be incompetent, allowing you a fighting chance.

El Duderino

what's a good way to convince a resturant to let you shoot in there?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Stefen

Quote from: El Duderinowhat's a good way to convince a resturant to let you shoot in there?

Ask very nicely and reiterate the fact you are broke.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

would i have to pay for the food? probably
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

pete

you know what they say about locations: it's not the size, it's how you use it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton