Why do you make movies?

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 17, 2003, 12:46:44 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

If you're a filmmaker, or aspiring filmmaker, why is it that you want to make movies?  Is it the fame, fortune, dating hot actresses, an ego trip?  Or something else?

The reason I wanted to make films (and make music, take photos, etc) is because i'm afraid of being forgot about many years from now... If anything, I want my kids and grandkids to have something to look at and say "wow, my grandfather did that 40 or 60 years ago? Cool!"... its like a legacy that lives on... if I would have gone into business, all i'd have to give to my offspring would be money... that doesn't last long anyways.  I also like creating things... this world has too many people who just DO, but don't create... they might accumulate wealth, but they don't leave anything behind.

Anyone else?

Nick

Weak2ndAct

There's a couple reasons I like filmmaking (besides the fact that I love movies, blah blah blah).
- It's a combination of all the art forms into one.  I've tried each one individually, and can't say I excel at any specific one (well, I do think I'm an better writer than anything).  I've dabbled in them all, have an interest in them all, but don't have the drive to focus on one.  For instance: I can't play music worth a damn, but I think I know good music when I hear it and like to put it with images.  I can't take good photographs or draw, but I know what images compel me.  I like writing, but can't stand the 'fat' in novels-- describing locations and people and crap in detail-- so I cut to the chase and write scripts, which are leaner and get to the point.  And I love acting, but I hate theatre.  Anyway, you get the point.
- I have a terrible time doing a 40+ hour job.  I've done it before, and it drives me nuts.  I like the freedom and time.
- Meeting cool people is a nice perk.
- I'd like to be able to make something insane that some years down the road that will inspire somebody to let loose and express themselves.
- I won't lie, the poon-factor is always attractive.

SoNowThen

1. Apart from loving film like nothing else, I realized that 80% of movies I find myself saying "i could definitely improve on that". So I decided to try and put my money where my mouth is.

2. Wanted to be a writer my whole life (like, since grade 1), but realized that novels are just not as powerful anymore. So film is the best thing to tell stories.

3. And yeah, like others said, if I had to work a 9-5 job for the rest of my life, I'd get a rifle and find a belltower real quick

4. Only way I'll ever get a hot, fake-chested, barbie doll goddess is if I am a respected director.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

So Now Then -- you don't need a belltower, per se. Just a high altitude position.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Yeah, but a belltower's a lot more dramatic and evocative.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThen13. And yeah, like others said, if I had to work a 9-5 job for the rest of my life, I'd get a rifle and find a belltower real quick.

And what would be funny is that while you're in jail, they would make a movie based on your actions, but because of the Son Of Sam law, you couldn't profit from it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: SoNowThen13. And yeah, like others said, if I had to work a 9-5 job for the rest of my life, I'd get a rifle and find a belltower real quick.

And what would be funny is that while you're in jail, they would make a movie based on your actions, but because of the Son Of Sam law, you couldn't profit from it.

Or like that Cubs fan that won't get any money from that movie deal, even though it's SO BLATENTLY ripped off from his life... he's even been referenced in every article about that movie that the guy from King of Queens will be writing.

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
The reason I wanted to make films (and make music, take photos, etc) is because i'm afraid of being forgot about many years from now...

I second that. My biggest fear is never having existed. It's a way of achiving immortality.

And telling stories...It's what I love.

Cecil

SoNowThen

Y'know what? I thought about this a little more, and I should add one more reason:

I wanna give something good to the world. If movies make me so happy, chances are there are a few hundred thousand other people kinda like me, and if I can do a movie that pleases me, then it will probably please a whole lot of those people. It's kinda something like a missionary sense, like an act of goodwill. I hate those articles where an actor or somebody says something like "well, it's just a movie, we're not doctors or anybody, saving people's lives". That's bullshit. What we're trying to do is important. People need to be entertained and moved and challenged. We should be manipulating the most important and powerful and complete artform in the word, and we have a certain responsibility to that. And that makes me feel like I'm spending my time on a good cause. And I mean that, in all sincerity. That's why I get offended at certain films and filmmakers -- I feel they're abusing their power...

mutinyco

God, I hope there's nobody else like you...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

ono

Quote from: mutinycoGod, I hope there's nobody else like you...
Too bad.  There is.  Just look at Amelie or Punch-Drunk Love.  Or about half the films I ever get to make, for that matter (they can't all be uplifting while dodging the Spielberg schlock syndrome).

Newtron

Ghostboy