You Were Never Really Here

Started by wilder, May 19, 2017, 05:32:10 AM

wilder

A war veteran's attempt to save a young girl from a sex trafficking ring goes horribly wrong.

Directed by Lynne Ramsay
Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Alessandro Nivola
Release Date - April 6, 2018

Clip

Jeremy Blackman

I honestly thought this was a sequel to I'm Still Here.

Alethia

Drenk

I'm excited! And if that's Jonny Greenwood's music in that trailer: :shock:

(And seriously what's wrong with France, why do they need to change the title to A Beautiful Day. They know the movie won't work and want to cheat people into thinking it's a romcom?)
Ascension.

Drenk

Don't watch the trailer if you haven't yet! I won't say it spoils anything, even if you can guess the plot of the whole movie watching it, but what is strong and surprising can't be shown. Anyway!

I really liked this movie even if it has flaws; it is a sensorial experience and sometimes what Ramsay films is almost cliché, you feel like you have seen it before, and there is a part of the movie which is an imitation of previous movies (and even if it sounds easy to write: of Taxi Driver) but it is way more nuanced and dense than that. It is a lot of things. A thriller/a nightmare/a gory fairy tale/an arthouse movie. That's why it works as a simple story with a twist. Because there are a lot of twists—even if they are not all working/effective.

The last scene made my heart twist. The sound design is very important in the whole movie—and, by the way, Greenwood is good as usual—because PTSD is also about sounds triggering emotions/memories. Some moments made me think of the way it is treated for Max in Fury Road.

This is a very interesting movie. I'd understand if some people think it is too cliché or something, but I truly think it is its own thing and that it is able—through a collage of different inspirations—to maintain a strong unity.

Ascension.

matt35mm

Ramsay's films aren't ever really about what happens, but about the texture and experience of situations. I haven't seen this new one yet, but her first three films basically start with someone dead (or in the case of WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, a bunch of people). It's basically a way of saying, "Well, let's start with the most cataclysmic thing that can happen, so that there's nothing else that can really happen to top it, so you can put that question out of your mind and experience the movie tonally." Her focus then becomes images, sound, and psychology. And my god, is she fucking great at that. The simplicity of her stories and the fact that nothing really happens in them (it gets all the "happening" done in the first 10 mins, usually) aids in this.

Drenk

Things do happen during the course of this one, but always with a strange and fascinating calmness.
Ascension.

wilder

SPOILERS

Release date moved to April 6, 2018

Drenk

The american trailer is almost the movie scene by scene in a chronological order. Don't watch this one too.
Ascension.

Shughes

I saw this at Glasgow Film Festival last week. An incredible piece of work. I don't think she's capable of making a bad film. A couple of scenes in this are going to be hard to top this year. Jonny Greenwood's score is amazing and different to what I expected - in the best way.

Ramsay talked at a Q&A afterwards about wanting to make a B Movie of sorts - but her version of one. It does flirt with cliché at times but she knows it and deliberately avoids it and sidesteps expectations. It seems she and Phoenix had a great working relationship - I hope they do more together.

Alethia

Quote from: Shughes on February 26, 2018, 06:23:58 PM
It seems she and Phoenix had a great working relationship.

That was not the impression I and much of the rest of the crew seemed to have regarding their working relationship during the shoot, it often felt a bit contentious and begrudging per my recollection, based both on moments I witnessed and many things I overheard via various departments. Then again, it was a pretty high-pressure, jam-packed shooting schedule with lots of overnights, and that summer in NYC was one of the most over-heated I can remember, so perhaps this should all be taken with a grain of salt. I did witness a number of sweet, happy moments between them as well...glad to hear it seems to have come together quite brilliantly! It opens on my birthday and I could not be more excited. A terrific team of true sweethearts made this thing and I'll always remember it fondly, despite the relative day-to-day stress of the experience.

Shughes

Interesting to hear a conflicting first hand report. I guess we'll never really know how they connected or didn't. It's possible the friction and tension brought them closer. We'll see if they work together again.

She did also talk about how damn hot and exhausting the heat of the New York Summer was for the 29 day shoot.

I'll be catching this one again on opening weekend in the UK - so much talent involved. I'm glad to hear the team were great and it's inspiring to see such work being made.

Alethia

Individually, they both could not be nicer, happy to report. I got a few cool keepsakes, too - like Ramsay's book of visual references assembled during prep, her leftover pack of smokes...and her Bluray player!

Shughes

Quote from: eward on February 27, 2018, 05:29:47 PM
Ramsay's book of visual references assembled during prep

This sounds amazing - how extensive is it? Can you share any details/what it included? Way more valuable than the Bluray player (though that's pretty cool too).

Alethia

Quote from: Shughes on February 28, 2018, 04:51:03 AM
Quote from: eward on February 27, 2018, 05:29:47 PM
Ramsay's book of visual references assembled during prep

This sounds amazing - how extensive is it? Can you share any details/what it included? Way more valuable than the Bluray player (though that's pretty cool too).

It's quite thick and extensive, containing a number of images I believe were directly restaged for the film (we'll see if they made the final cut). I'll post some pics this evening.