Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

mutinyco

I think I'd rather deal with you in public. Sending me IM's is a wimpy tactic. Threatening me within an IM is even more cowardly. Try to "rip" me and you'll lose. Everything about your demeanor suggests somebody who's immature and jealous. You should keep your green opinions to yourself. Yes, I've taken your bait. If you feel the insecure need to follow through with this you will only expose yourself for what you are: a nobody.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: mutinycoI think I'd rather deal with you in public. Sending me IM's is a wimpy tactic. Threatening me within an IM is even more cowardly. Try to "rip" me and you'll lose. Everything about your demeanor suggests somebody who's immature and jealous. You should keep your green opinions to yourself. Yes, I've taken your bait. If you feel the insecure need to follow through with this you will only expose yourself for what you are: a nobody.

::Yawns::

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoStick your tongue to a flag pole. He's still not the greatest DP.

Sit down for a sec while I blow your mind: for what I want to achieve look-wise in films, he just might be the guy working closest to my vision. Hence, for me, he would be the ideal DP to work with, making him -- imho -- the best working DP.

Subjectivity, my dear Watson. Look into it.

*mmm, this flagpole tastes like candycane*
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

There are other things that I'd rather have blown right now, Sherlock. :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

oh that is not the mental image I wanted to carry this morning...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

NO no fuck no...

seriously, why don't you try to get it on with one of the young slut actresses you interview? Like Branaugh in Celebrity...

pete

I just saw this tonight and it was good only in aspects.  I just couldn't take how much of the movie's comedy came from making fun of the japanese, and also couldn't take how funny it was to the audience (almost all white except for me and like four other people).
before the sunrise it ain't.  not that before the sunrise was a masterpiece or anything either.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Weak2ndAct

Wow.  Just got back from Translation and fuckin' loved every second of it.  And as ashamed as I am to admit it, I wept like a child at the end.  

I could go on endlessly about the technique and performances, but what I couldn't get out of mind after the movie was how sad and depressed Sofia Coppola must be.  This is truly her autobiography.  Ribisi was obviously modeled after Spike Jonze (I could only imagine what he said after seeing it), and Anna Faris a total Cameron Diaz impersonation.  I could picture Sofia standing there, listening to Diaz kiss Jonze's ass for getting her that Oscar nom.  Just sad.  I was at a party once that the couple attended, and now that I think back, Sofia pretty much kept to herself while Spike talked w/ everyone.  I argued with a friend about who Bill Murray's character was, and the only thing I could come up with is that it might be a mix of Murray and her father.  Francis can be a charming, charismatic guy, but also a depressed, nasty whoremonger.  

Regardless, I admired the movie tremendously and can't wait to see it again.  I'm still reeling that this is the same chick that made The Virgin Suicides, which I loathed (save for maybe the Trip chapter).

coffeebeetle

Quote from: SoNowThenMay I quickly add, upon viewing the trailer, that I would like to declare Lance Accord as our greatest living cinematographer...?

I just wanna preface by saying I haven't seen this movie yet, and I'm fuming that it's not playing anywhere near me.  That being said, I read an article saying how Accord used his camera work as a love letter to Tokyo...but I'll drop a line (after I see this film) as to whether I agree with the greatest living American cinematographer title.  Cuz right now my money's still with Elswit, as cliched as that may sound.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Teen Wolf

I got that impression too, that Ribisi was Spike and Faris was Diaz. Especially the latter.

Also, I don't think the movie made fun of the Japanese. If some of the comedy came from the culture (and it did) it was done in a respectful, bemused sort of manner.

And this movie has one of the best, most seductive opening shots I've ever seen.

Raikus

Tonight was openning night where I live. Just got back from seeing it. Superb. It was just great to see a movie like this. I loved its non-traditional structure as well as its unconventional overuse of establishing shots. The movie lets you peak into the lives of two people at a perfect moment in their lives. And when that moment it over, so is your voyeurism.  There are no acts. There is no conflict and resolution (arguable, I know, but in the conventional sense). Sophia did an excellent job of conveying the sense of Tokyo and the culture shock of Japan.

What a great job by Murray and Johansson too. I'll be rooting for them come Oscar time.

If the movie is playing near you and you haven't seen it yet, definitely do so.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

edison

Had a triple feature today, the theater had a pay for one see 3 deal(like they would ever do that), others were Cold Creek Manor(better than i though it was going to be) and Anything Else(had its moments, too long), but this was the first and after seeing the others i wished it was the last, so i could go on the rest of my day remembering this film and not trying to remember it after having seen those other two.

I loved this film, everything about it, really made me feel for Murray and Johansson's characters, and i totally got the impression of Spike and  Cameron, made me think of when Sophia could have been over there and my guess is when Jackass was there doing the Toyko skits for either the show or film, prolly the latter. The commercial making scenes were really great, i never thought how those were done(with the awkard translation process) and how uncomfortable the actor can be, Bill played this perfectly. Definately a must buy when this hits dvd.

SoNowThen

A good film I guess. Great performances. I take back what I said about Accord though. I hated the camerawork in this movie. Fuck off with the handheld. Lock a frame for fucks sakes. So I'm disappointed. Feels like Sophia didn't have any insight into the life/troubles of an old man. She obviously was the Scarlett charater, but really just let Bill sleepwalk through this picture. A long party night with singing and boozing -- seen it before. A guy picks up a slut, wakes up with remorse the next morning, and the girl he really likes comes to the door -- seen it before. And her obvious contempt for hot blonde chicks, it was funny at first, then just got POUNDED down our throats. Guess I'll be in the minority here, but I thought this flick was only okay. Maybe I'll give it a year and watch again...

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.