Zombieland

Started by MacGuffin, June 19, 2009, 11:46:40 AM

modage

Quote from: Reinhold on October 22, 2009, 06:00:47 PM
how many skulls?

I probably wouldn't rank it with skulls since those are reserved for the Best Horror films, but if I had to rank it against that scale I'd prob say 3 or 4?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Even though I agree with every single complaint modage has, I still really liked this. That stuff is kind of nagging at me, but this film is so much fun and light-hearted that it's hard to really hold it against it. The comedy and the pacing are spot-on, even if it does come up short as a zombie film. I feel like the characters have so much heart that they really carry the film. I laughed a lot, and I liked that no one's really in harm's way, we're just able to sit and laugh it all off.

WWPTAD?

Alexandro

This is another overhyped film. I don't think in recent years we had so many overhyped bad, semi decent or regular films in theaters. This sure is one of them. A great premise is turned into nothing as pretty much every lazy option is taken. As everyone has said, the movie is calles Zombieland yet there aren't any fucking zombies, nor any of the characters appear to be in danger for one second. The tone is inconsistent and forced in more than one occasion. The use of voice over only adds to the boredom because it really wasn't necessary.

My main problem with the film was the main character. I hated that fag. He was fucking unfunny and ruined every single fucking line. We need a young Woody Allen who can be a pussy and neurotic and at the same time being charming and have some personality. the understatement in this guy's performance crosses the line to being boring. Sometimes I watch all these movies and I really wonder about the US of A. Is everyone fucking scarred because they went to high school and acted like pussies and the hot girls were ALL idiots who dated "jocks" who bullied the rest of them? Is every skinny guy filled with resentment towards all that shit years later? Is any person who shows any interest in interesting things like music, literature and film segregated to the point of travis bickelism and turned into a fucking fag? I mean I was a weirdo in high school but shit, you would never hear me talking about myself like this idiot here, about how some hot girl was unreachable and how every woman never got close to me. It just gets on my nerves to see this shit movie after movie.

Anyway this film has like three funny scenes, one of them of course, the bill murray scene. Woody Harrelson could have given  a classic performance if only the film had some aim or order to it. As it is, he has his moments, but they don't make too much sense.

damn.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Right on. Yeah i walked out of this shitland 15 min into it. I guess the blatant, "look at us we're in a movie" attitude of the film is not really inviting. The kid is annoying--that is just an irrefutable truth. It seemed like the whole thing depended on your potential sense of peculiar humor. Which is probably the type of humor i should be having and enjoying but i rather prefer seeing Nick Cage rape a bitch in front of some oblivious boyfriend while smoking crack.  :ponder:
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You walked out too soon, then.  You should've taken a brief nap or texted all your friends like everyone else in the theater until the crowning moment:

SPOILER (but since you walked out, read this)

Bill Murray's cameo makes the movie. It doesn't make up for it all, but you know, if you bought a car that didn't work but had really impressive A/C you'd want to see what that was all about before returning it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

I didn't think it was terrible, but it wasn't as good as people were hyping it up to be.  This the lesser of the two Jesse Eisenberg "land" movies.

Gold Trumpet

The best zombie movie ever. Only because the film keeps the zombie storyline at a second level and makes the story between the characters more important. The effect? I enjoyed the movie. Nothing more. Shaun of the Dead's first half is a lot funnier and also makes the zombie's second tier, but its second half was a standard zombie thriller.

All other zombie movies I have seen try to make a zombie storyline important. They find weird niches to self aggrandize themselves on the dumb subject and elevate it beyond its minimal horror effect. Zombies could be scary if done better, but it's a cult story and I don't get it so that's why I have to promote dumb movies like Zombieland.

But if Woody Harrelson wasn't in this movie, it wouldn't have been worth watching.

modage

Wrong.

Watch Night of the Living Dead.  Rewatch Shaun of the Dead. 

Accept your wrongness.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

To someone who really cares about zombie movies, my opinion is definitely wrong. It doesn't matter to them and probably shouldn't anyways. My one point within the whole review will only have possible sway with independents on the issues, haha.

Stefen

This is the exact type of shitty but fun movie GT seems to overrate.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

I don't particularly like zombie movies but hey, this film doesn't even have zombies in it.
It makes sense GT since you liked the last Indiana Jones movie and that one wasn't an Indiana Jones movie either.

Gold Trumpet

Again, you go nuts when I really don't praise a movie at all. Zombieland is enjoyable but dumb. Ignore the greatest zombie movie comment because it's meaningless considering I have no interest in zombie movies, but I'm not saying much really in the end. A kid getting kicked in the junk is also enjoyable but dumb.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on March 19, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
It makes sense GT since you liked the last Indiana Jones movie and that one wasn't an Indiana Jones movie either.

I rewatched the last Indiana Jones and I was wrong to give it any consideration. The early ones are better entertainment and that includes Temple of Doom. People make mistakes sometimes, haha. But I'm no authority on anything so my being wrong or reevaluating a movie is no different than someone else doing so. It happens.

children with angels

You can't be surprised when people make their criticisms of your writing personal when you open posts with polemical lines like "The best zombie movie ever". You know that's going to rile people up - you KNOW it! And you can backtrack and say it was a joke, or complain about people's accusations that you just like to be contrary, or claim that

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 19, 2010, 02:30:27 PM
I'm no authority on anything

But as long as your approach is didactic and your tone authoritative, people are going to assume that you believe you ARE an authority; and you can expect to get these reactions. Fair enough - in this instance you also included a line admitting that you don't "get" zombie movies; in which case, why make such a grand pronouncement?! It's like someone with no real knowledge on the subject of Antonioni telling you that your least favourite film of his is, in fact, his greatest. To which you would probably say

Quote from: modage on March 19, 2010, 12:00:58 PM
Accept your wrongness.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on March 19, 2010, 03:20:35 PM
You can't be surprised when people make their criticisms of your writing personal when you open posts with polemical lines like "The best zombie movie ever". You know that's going to rile people up - you KNOW it! And you can backtrack and say it was a joke, or complain about people's accusations that you just like to be contrary, or claim that

I didn't backtrack because in the original review, I pretty much lambasted the movie afterward and made my feelings of disinterest known for zombie movies. If people are only going to read the first three words only then that is their problem.

Quote from: children with angels on March 19, 2010, 03:20:35 PM
But as long as your approach is didactic and your tone authoritative, people are going to assume that you believe you ARE an authority; and you can expect to get these reactions.

If you didn't notice, most people here carry on with an authoritative tone for their own ends. For me, it's assumed more so because I have taken unpopular stances and stuck to them and that has struck some people the wrong way because I was going after their favorites. I actually believe I am more willing to question my own perspective and challenge myself than some others. I am trying to be reflective in my reviews so sometimes the pendulum swings back to me and I am directly challenging an old assumption of mine.