PTA's smoking

Started by ©brad, January 31, 2003, 09:37:14 AM

©brad

Okay, I know it is not my place to say someone shouldn't smoke. I smoke cigarettes. However, it just seems to me that cancer is a big thing PTA has dealt with in his life with people who are close to him, I mean, this is what Magnolia is all about, right? Why is it that in every damn picture of him he's smoking? You would think he would want to quit or atleast cut back. Or maybe his smoking is his way of dealing w/ it?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cbrad4dOr maybe his smoking is his way of dealing w/ it?

Ah.. like the more he smokes the more he smokes? Old habits die hard I guess, especially if it's a ritualistic part of your creative process. Nobody's perfect.. everyone has something they do that they don't want to do. I don't think it's hypocritical, really... it's kind of honest.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cbrad4dOkay, I know it is not my place to say someone shouldn't smoke. I smoke cigarettes.

Gross. I dont smoke and that makes me a better person that you....

I have always thought about, if anybody ever said anything to PTA about it? Id imagine he'd get angry, but its weird how he can originally get offended by cancer remarks in Fight Club and consistantly smoke 2 packs a day. Maybe hes not afraid of lung cancer.

neatahwanta

It is part of the image, and it is ghey.  This ain't Jr. High anymore folks.   :roll:

Jeremy Blackman

There's a PTA quote that goes something like "I'll make 20 more movies in my lifetime, 40 more if I quit smoking."

A little frustrating, though.. I don't think he's gonna quit. Fiona smokes too.

©brad

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: cbrad4dOkay, I know it is not my place to say someone shouldn't smoke. I smoke cigarettes.

but its weird how he can originally get offended by cancer remarks in Fight Club and consistantly smoke 2 packs a day. Maybe hes not afraid of lung cancer.

Exactly. I'm not saying its hypocritical. I just think that, I mean he's a grown man and can do whatever he wants, I don't care. It's like this- if your parents were avid rock climbers, yes? And they go all the time on weekend trips and for months during the summer. And they do the hardcore shit that is incredibly dangerous. And one day they both die tragically from a rock climbing accident. If you were their son, would you go rock climbing, and if so, all the time?

Maybe that's not the best analogy. In fact, it's a really shitty one now that I read it, but you get the point.

Newtron

Quote from: Duck SauceGross. I dont smoke and that makes me a better person that you.....

Man, that joke is stupid.

Anyway, smoking's cool... like getting in a fight.

sphinx

i think he said something like he wanted to be different from everyone else, so he smoked.  then he sort of got addicted to it and now it's his thing

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Newtron

1. Its not a joke.
2. Calling something stupid is in itself stupid
3. If you want to continue your war against me, do it through PM

neatahwanta

Quote from: neatahwantaThis ain't Jr. High anymore folks.   :roll:

Oops, scratch that...it is.

Cecil

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWe all know you're under 20, Newtron. Remember the helicopter game? Yes, exactly, that's what I thought.

good point

Since when does liking an addictive video game make one less responsible? it's called fun.

hmm. also good point.

Quote from: Duck SauceGross. I dont smoke and that makes me a better person that you.....

very good point ; ) although id substitute "better" with "smarter"

okay, so if youre sarcastic, then LOL. but if youre serious, and i think we all know you are, then you must be 10 years old. dear god.

RegularKarate

My grandfather died of cancer - he smoked pipes.  It was very similar to the experience shown in Magnolia, which is one of the aspects that connected me so much to that film.

Anyway, I quit smoking after that,but it was fuckin' hard and at the time, I didn't have too many stressfull things going on in my life.

I'm just saying... it's hard to quit.

Film Student

It is fucking hard to quit, and anyone who says its not is full of shit.  I watched my longtime surrogate father die of lung cancer 6 months ago, I mean I actually watched him as he took his final breath, and I still can't quit.   After he died I vowed I would quit smoking, but somehow I've smoked even more.  Every drag I take is laced with guilt and anger, but I just can't fucking quit.  Its not cool, its not hip, it doesn't help my creative process, but I just cannot fucking quit.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Xixax

I smoked 1/2 to 1 pack a day from the time I was 14 till I was 19.

One day, I just stopped. That was it. No nicotine fits - nothing. I just quit.

The biggest thing I found was that I was bored a lot more often. Before, I could sit and do absolutely nothing, but if I had a smoke, i was content no matter the surroundings. When I lost that "friend", I found myself not wanting to go out and just sit around with friends like I used to. It just wasn't as much fun without a smoke.

My wife, on the other hand, smoked a pack a day for 3 years, and had a hard time quitting. I had to really help her along. She had major nic fits.

So, I guess it depends on the person.

I still miss it. If I found out I was dying of some terminal disease, I'd pick it up again in a minute! But, I'm glad I quit for health reasons.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ghostboy

I tried once...lasted about a week. A second time...one month in I figured it wouldn't hurt if I had one, and bam I was back to a pack a day. Third time, and I haven't had a smoke in almost nine months. It wasn't hard the last time, but sometimes varying circumstances really bear down on me...it's more nostalgia than anything else.

Smoking is a great thing. Unfortunately it kills you.