Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Floating Weeds and The Story of Floating Weeds are the two Ozu films known to be released in 2004, but now comes official word that the other Ozu for the year will be "The Only Son". I don't know what this means about the previously announced, "Early Summer", but this is the news. Link here (confirmation is at end of article): http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fb20031116dr.htm

Find Your Magali

Well, it's better for my wallet, anyway, to space this stuff out. ...

I'm already looking at a big outlay for Ikiru and the two Tatis in January.

Gold Trumpet

Here are some new leaked titles along with their covers. Some of the new titles are dissapointing or interesting for certain foreign film buffs, but here they are anyways. Also, covers for some previously announced are up as well. Information not yet up on each:

LE CORBEAU: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/227_box_348x490.jpg

SALVATORE GUILIANO: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/228_box_348x490.jpg (nice cover, just never heard of the movie)

TUNES OF GLORY: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/225_box_348x490.jpg

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/224_box_348x490.jpg

MAITRESSE: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/223_box_348x490.jpg

DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST: http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/222_box_348x490.jpg

godardian

I certainly won't complain about more Ronald Neame. I never heard of him (or The Horse's Mouth or Hopscotch) until the Criterion releases, and I absolutely adored them, particularly The Horse's Mouth.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

freakerdude

Okay, say you know this person who who has never rented any Criterion movies and they were looking for some good ones to start off with.

Say this dude has Naked Lunch on his rental list and needs some more rental recs. I guess Blockbuster and Hollywood Video may only carry a few of these so I'll make sure I tell him to check the indie stores.

Thanks......from the guy
MC Pee Pants

Slick Shoes

Nobody does covers like Criterion.

godardian

Quote from: freakerdudeOkay, say you know this person who who has never rented any Criterion movies and they were looking for some good ones to start off with.

Say this dude has Naked Lunch on his rental list and needs some more rental recs. I guess Blockbuster and Hollywood Video may only carry a few of these so I'll make sure I tell him to check the indie stores.

Thanks......from the guy

Sullivan's Travels is a great starter... almost anyone has to love the movie, and it's packede with extras.

Walkabout is a personal favorite of mine.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

seconding Walkabout

Last Temptation Of Christ
and
8 1/2

are probably my favorite CC's, along with the Doinel box set.

ohh, and Salesman. More people need to watch this.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SoNowThenohh, and Salesman. More people need to watch this.

Agreed. Just a jaw-dropping documentary.

SoNowThen

all the new specs are up on the official CC site, if anyone's interested:

www.criterionco.com
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: freakerdudeOkay, say you know this person who who has never rented any Criterion movies and they were looking for some good ones to start off with.

Rushmore <<<<essential
Royal Tenenbaums
8 1/2
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas <<<pretty awesome design and extras
Robocop << OOP, but you can still find it for pretty cheap.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: themodernage02

Rushmore <<<<essential
Royal Tenenbaums
8 1/2
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas <<<pretty awesome design and extras
Robocop << OOP, but you can still find it for pretty cheap.

I'd add Seven Samurai, just because it's essential and Jeck's commentary is really, really good.
WWPTAD?

edison

Le Trou
Insomnia
The Vanishing
Traffic
George Washington

all good stuff to also begin with.

cine

The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Third Man

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks