Questions for PTA

Started by depooter, October 30, 2003, 06:04:07 PM

Wilde

to Paul Thomas Anderson.

...ever been asked the "questions de bernard pivot" from the french series "bouillon de culture" ?
So, here we go :

01. What is your favorite word?

02. What is your least favorite word?

03. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

04. What turns you off?

05. What is your favorite curse word?

06. What sound or noise do you love?

07. What sound or noise do you hate?

08. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

09. What profession would you not like to do?

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

P.S.: 11. I'm working on a book project about the auditive and visual combination in "Ma-gno-lia" and "Punch-drunk love", would you help me?

Thanks.

Ioronimo Jeydnak
Belgium

boombanglarrabee

You have said that going to film school is essentially a waste of time, and that you learned how to make movies by watching them (and eventually, by making them.)  With that in mind, how did you learn to write?

molly

Quote from: boombanglarrabeeYou have said that going to film school is essentially a waste of time, and that you learned how to make movies by watching them (and eventually, by making them.)  With that in mind, how did you learn to write?

I think the low says that people are obliged to send their children to elementary school :?  :?:

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: molly
Quote from: boombanglarrabeeYou have said that going to film school is essentially a waste of time, and that you learned how to make movies by watching them (and eventually, by making them.)  With that in mind, how did you learn to write?

I think the low says that people are obliged to send their children to elementary school :?  :?:

:lol:
Si

boombanglarrabee

Quote from: mollyI think the low says that people are obliged to send their children to elementary school :?  :?:

Then you should be in jail.  Smartass.

Where's your brilliant question?

phil marlowe

Quote from: boombanglarrabeeThen you should be in jail.  Smartass.

give molly a break, it was a funny post.

i hope you didn't try to achieve the same.

molly

Quote from: boombanglarrabee
Quote from: mollyI think the low says that people are obliged to send their children to elementary school :?  :?:

Then you should be in jail.  Smartass.

My parents. Smartass.

correction: The Law

kotte

Great one!!!

Fuck, I wanna know this. How DO you learn how to write good.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotteFuck, I wanna know this. How DO you learn how to write good.

I reccomend this book:

Then get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0573699216/ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-5271916-1315069?no=283155&st=books&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Both good books and required reading for screenwriters everywhere.

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: kotteFuck, I wanna know this. How DO you learn how to write good.

I reccomend this book:

Then get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0573699216/ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-5271916-1315069?no=283155&st=books&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Both good books and required reading for screenwriters everywhere.

Isn't that a tad bit too much formula?

What makes McKee the master? I believe successful screenwriters make good teacher's and I don't think PTA, Coens, Kauffman etc would teach formulas.

That's why the question is interesting...Is it "read screenplays, get final draft and write it the way you want." Am I too naive maybe...?

Sleuth

Quote from: kotte
Isn't that a tad bit too much formula?

What makes McKee the master? I believe successful screenwriters make good teacher's and I don't think PTA, Coens, Kauffman etc would teach formulas.

That's why the question is interesting...Is it "read screenplays, get final draft and write it the way you want." Am I too naive maybe...?

I think you've got the right idea, Kotte.  Fuck people who tell you how to make your own art
I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SlobhI think you've got the right idea, Kotte.  Fuck people who tell you how to make your own art

I agree... fuck people who tell you how to make your own art... but, if you want to make it commercial (ie. sell it), then some formula is necessary... not everyone is PTA...

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI agree... fuck people who tell you how to make your own art... but, if you want to make it commercial (ie. sell it), then some formula is necessary... not everyone is PTA...

That's correct. Even innovators like Charlie Kauffman work inside the frames of standard movie formula...three acts etc etc but beyond that...you're on your own.

We shouldn't try to do our own thing...we should just do our own thing as see were it leads us...

Sorry for taking a detour on this thread... :oops:

Weak2ndAct

You can't break the rules of the game unless you understand them in the first place.

kotte

Quote from: Weak2ndActYou can't break the rules of the game unless you understand them in the first place.

My opinion is this, rules is something you learn by watching alot alot alot of movies and read screenplays. Not a book written by a guy who shouts 'voiceover is lazy writing'.

I don't think he's all bad...just that there are different ways...some better than others.