Lense Flares up in tha hizzzaaaaaouse

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, July 04, 2003, 05:21:48 PM

Thecowgoooesmooo

During PDL you see many many lense flares that are intentional. But in other movies a lense flare just happens allot of times.

My question is, "How does PDL create the lense flares?"

And... "How does he control them with the varying precision in many of the shots?"

If I knew the method I could use them in my own work.

thanks

chris

aclockworkjj

I imagine most were done in post.....for instance.....even Photoshop has a lens flare filter.....imagine what they are using...

picolas

i'm about a bamillion percent certain they weren't done in post.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: picolas.i'm about a bamillion percent certain they weren't done in post.
why so sure?...is there an article or something I don't know about?...or just plain proof that I have been shadowed from?

Thecowgoooesmooo

I dont think of any of them are done in post. Many reasons I think this, one piece of evidence is this... As Barry and Lena are walking while the camera follows from behind to our right we see the faint light of a car passing and then the lense flares up a bright blue then subsides as the car passes. Small little details like this, gives you the idea that these were not done in post. Any other ideazz?

chris

1 more thing, did you guyz notice we all joined on Jan 8th... lol

Cecil

dont you have to have a bit of light directed at the camera at an angle? is it when light bounces off the lens?

jan 8 me too.... this is some FREAKY SHIT HERE

Redlum

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooAs Barry and Lena are walking while the camera follows from behind to our right we see the faint light of a car passing and then the lense flares up a bright blue then subsides as the car passes.

Is this the one prior to the holding-hands, Iris wipe. Because that one is damn great. Very...Sci-Fi.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ghostboy

I think a lot of them were probably happy accidents, and maybe some of them were like the bump during the phone call -- an accident that was fine tuned. It's easy to get lens flares, but it's a little harder to get them to work so well with your story. They're one of my favorite things about PDL.

Pubrick

Quote from: cecil b. dementedjan 8 me too.... this is some FREAKY SHIT HERE
that's when they sent out the email to old C&C members. not so freaky really.
under the paving stones.

Cecil

allow me to rephrase then:

Quote from: cecil b. demented[sarcasm]jan 8 me too.... this is some FREAKY SHIT HERE[/sarcasm]

Duck Sauce

Id like to make subtle mention to me joining the PTanderson board exactly a year ago today.... you may all attack now

EL__SCORCHO

If you point the camera towards the sun or a light you get a lens flare, dont you? So if you want to get an intentional lens flare just have the actor walk towards the sun and have the camera behind him i guess.

First these are not "happy accidents"  and these were not done in post.

This was strictly Paul Thomas Anderson taking care with every shot and basically painting the film with lights just out of frame...

Although I don't know the actual way that paul, elswit, and the LD carried out these flares, i assume its some type of controlled elipsoidal of some sort at an extreme angle to the lens that because of the characteristics of an anamorphic lens this light is distorted and and major chromatic abration is taking place thus the spectrum of light is captured by the film.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

aclockworkjj

so...it's just a well planned out shot that perfectly dissolves into JB's art??

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls