CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

Sunrise

I watched this last night for the first time. Never intended to see it but I had to see what all the hype was about. I have to admit that I was emotionally affected (manipulated might be a better word) by several scenes, but by the time credits rolled I was tired of the sermon. This film REALLY wanted to be great...and usually when a film and/or the filmmakers are that conscious of their intended greatness, the results are anything but.

I love this quote from the chud review:

QuoteIt fools you into thinking that it's worth a damn, but it's really a wholesale rip-off of Magnolia soldered onto a Very Special Episode of Diff'rent Strokes.

Sal

After that review I'm a big fan of Devin.

Gamblour.

I'm a big fan of the White Man's guilt movie of the year.
WWPTAD?

Figure 8

You know, that makes me wonder if it hadn't been for all the praise this movie got, would people be bashing it so bad?  I think that's just making it so much worse that everyone seemed to like this movie.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 20, 2005, 03:59:42 PM
You know, that makes me wonder if it hadn't been for all the praise this movie got, would people be bashing it so bad? 

If Crash was given the same regard as something like, say, Jarhead - just slightly more favorable than unfavorable reviews - I'd still hate the movie, but I wouldn't be as vocal about it because, 1) there's less of a need for constant affirmation that you're not crazy for despising the movie; and 2) it's just not as interesting to bash something unless there's a sizeable contingent praising it - that's why this thread is at 12 pages and counting but the Hulk thread was only 4.

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 20, 2005, 03:59:42 PMI think that's just making it so much worse that everyone seemed to like this movie.

You have that backwards, actually.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 20, 2005, 03:59:42 PM
You know, that makes me wonder if it hadn't been for all the praise this movie got, would people be bashing it so bad?  I think that's just making it so much worse that everyone seemed to like this movie.

I saw it months before it was released.  So, I know that isn't the case for me.

I will admit though that all the praise for it has made me hate it worse.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Anonymous Joe

I saw it the day it came out, and had heard nothing about it other then it was 'magnoliaish.' I was considered walking out but I had alredy paid $9, so I stayed. Also there where more people laughing at all the racial comments then being effected by them.

Fernando

So I saw this on the weekend; I won't deny I was influenced by the bashing this movie received around here, which I feel somehow ruins the experience of watching the movie, doesn't matter if its a bashed movie or an overpraised one.

Having said that, I mostly agree with mod's comments and particularly with polka:

Quote from: modage on September 16, 2005, 11:48:04 PM
WAY too focused on ONLY racism, you dont get to know any of the characters that much.  and taking GIANT leaps of faith/logic in order to make things happen to these characters seemed lazy.  i didnt love it, i didn't hate it.  it was whatever.

Quote from: polkablues on October 30, 2005, 07:00:12 PM
I don't even really see a big resemblance in it to "Magnolia", though, beyond being an ensemble drama set in LA.

And the following will eventually appear in the blast from the past thread. hahaha

Quote from: Pubrick on May 11, 2005, 02:52:25 AM
Quote from: SiliasRubyI'm a total sucker for ensemble films of any kind. So, I am hoping to see this this weekend and I'll give you my report.
yep. we'll all be anxiously awaiting ur latest one-sentence, empty blurb.

anyway, this is the worst kind of movie, it just pretends to be good and is infuriating cos the silias's and small town loners of the world, who can't tell the difference, won't shut up about its "brilliance". shoot me if this gets any award recognition.

all haggis has to do is work with halle berry next to solidify his phony agenda.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I thought Crash was a racism PSA for Schwarzanegger fans, though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

from ew...

Crash co-writer-director-producer Paul Haggis meanwhile, was also recognized in three catagories for his complex character piece, which premiered at the Toronto film festival way back in 2004 (around the time Clint Eastwood was editing the Haggis-scripted Million Dollar Baby).  "I remember that first [Crash] screening with an audience," Haggis says.  "I was sitting there horrified at them laughing, crying, gasping at all the right places, and I was thinking "These fools! Can't you see how flawed this is?'  It's taken me a great deal of time to get some distance.  I still see the flaws.  Thank God no one at Lionsgate listened when I told them how awful it was." 

hey, this guy's not so bad!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

lol

he should explain it to scorsese, kubrick (if he could), pta and the others who thought they had to make good films to get an oscar!

polkablues

That's the first time I've ever seen a director acknowledge how dumb the people who like his movie are.  Now I want him to win Best Screenplay so he can go onstage and yell "Are you people INSANE?!!?!"  Anyways, that's what I would do if I were him.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I might actually like him now, if that quote is true.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

he was fishing for compliments. he's the kind of girl who needs constant reinforcement to alleviate deep insecurities. he'll never be america's next top model.
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

That's a hilarious quote. I'm thinking we can all try and look at crash as if it were a satire on society and how it deals with racism....It could work.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection