Battlestar Galactica

Started by meatball, June 12, 2005, 09:40:42 PM

meatball

I don't have cable, never have, so finding out that the Sci Fi Channel put up an entire episode of Battlestar Galactica for internet viewing, is a cool thing. If you're bored, and Xixax just isn't doing anything for you, check it out.

Raikus

I've been waiting for a thread on this, but have been to lazy to make it :yabbse-tongue:

It really is the best sci-fi out there and a good militaryand politcally based character driven show. I swore off the Sci-Fi channel after Farscape's cancellation, but they have spent their money well on this one.

The mini-series was so-so, but there have been some fantastic episodes in Season 1 including what I think is the best TV episode I've ever seen, The Hand of God (1x10).

The episode linked above is probably the 2nd best from the season and really communicates the weariness and just flat out exhaustion of running from the destroyers of their race.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

is this the one with all the sex scenes? at least that's the way they advertised it here..
under the paving stones.

Raikus

There are some very risque scenes throughout the series.

**SEXY SPOILERS** Six, the Cylon within Baltar's head, is usually performing some kind of sex act on him when they're having their conversations. You're also greeted with a cargo hold full of naked Boomers in the final episode.**END OF SEXY SPOILERS**

But they really should focus on the strong characters in the series. It's all really well written.

Edited to include SEXY SPOILERS for the feeble of heart.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

meatball

I enjoyed watching that single episode on the internet more than the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Label your spoilers, sexy or not. I plan on watching this.

Ghostboy

I just finished the first season of this - the first television show I've watched since Buffy went off the air! - and I really like it a lot. It creates a believable universe remarkably well - and the documentary stylistic trappings, including the handheld CGI work, actually seems innovative in this context. It has a definite sense of urgency to it that keeps it from being just another space opera. I've got season 2 lined up on my Netflix queue, and am anticipating burning through it next week.

As mentioned above, the episode 'The Hand Of God' is pretty amazing. Well-written and directed enough to make me jealous.

Raikus

The emotional power this show throws at you is awe inspiring. I liked the second season better than the first. You've got some great surprises in it and even though it does drop a couple of episodes in the 3rd quarter of the season the ending is just shocking. A great rollercoaster you'll enjoy.

RegularKarate

So I just got disc 2 which is really disc 1 from Netflix and I start up first episode and gives me the old "Last time on Battlestar Galactica".... so the nerds didn't tell me that there was a mini-series first.

I watched Stir Crazy instead, but before I go to the trouble, is it necessary to watch the miniseries before I start on season one?  Is it even worth watching?

Raikus

Watch the miniseries first. It has a big emotional impact if you don't know what's coming. If you watch the first season then go back it will still be good but just won't have the same oomph it could have had.

Ghostboy

I actually disagree on that point. The same thing happened when I got the series from Netflix, and I just went ahead and watched season 1 first and then went back to watch the miniseries afterwards. I found it sorta underwhelming...its very low-budget, and has some cheesy elements that the series would later avoid. But at the same time, I enjoyed going back and seeing the introductions to the characters I'd already become attached to. So it's good for that. The first episode of the actual series is fucking fantastic, and I think it would be better to jump in head first with that...you'll get hooked a lot faster.

I say all this obviously not having experienced it the way Raikus did.

I was pissed off when I realized that the season 2 set wasn't complete...I think I might just buy the rest of the episodes from iTune. Are there any I should skip, Raikus? The Lucy Lawless episode was pretty wretched, and I wouldn't have minded missing that one.

RegularKarate

thanks... while I respect Raikus' opinion, I'll probably just start watching season 1 just because I don't want to have to go to the trouble of returning a movie and waiting for the next to come... plus if the first episode is really good, maybe the wife will get sucked in like she did with Firefly.

Raikus

Yeah, GB has a good point. My own experience was watching the mini-series when it debuted and being struck by how far and how fast they hit the apocalypse aspect of it. It really was fantastic from that angle. Plus SPOILERS one of my favorite aspects of the show that still stuck with me was the escape from Ragnarok (at least I think that was the name of the armory station) where they emerge from the nebula and hold their own against the Cylons so the fleet can escape. END SPOILERS

However, 33 and Water, the first 2 episodes of the season were just great and can only be topped by the Hand of God episode in Season 1. If there's any chance for a hook to be set, it's like GB suggested in those two episodes.

So yeah, personally I'd (like to think I'd) want to experience the start, but I definitely see and nearly agree with GB's points on it.

As far as bad season 2 shows: Avoid 'Black Market' if you're purchasing it. I really disliked that one. 'Scar' isn't so bad, lots of space effects, but I didn't like what they did to some of the characters in it. Although it is touching towards the end. Those are the two "eh" episodes that come to mind.

Raikus

Everyone not watching this show is dumb. Well... maybe not dumb, but definitely missing out on the best show on TV. Yes Lost fans, I went there.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Raikus on October 10, 2006, 04:23:06 PM
Everyone not watching this show is dumb. Well... maybe not dumb, but definitely missing out on the best show on TV. Yes Lost fans, I went there.

Bold statement and unfortunately wrong.  I'll consider it for nominations for the second best show though.

I haven't seen any of the third season because I don't have cable and I'm finishing up Season 2.5, but the second half of the second season so far has taken kind of a nosedive.  The relationships have gone haywire left and right so that I just don't care about them as much and the dialog has gotten almost atrocious.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the story line gets better, but right now, it's looking like it might have already jumped the shark...too bad because the first season and a half were amazing.

Raikus

I don't want to say much to ruin anything for you, but when you see the 2nd season finale and the 3rd season premiere, you will read your post and just shake your head at how wrong you were.

Seriously, biggest turn around of a nose dive (as the 2nd have of the second season had some really bad episodes. I'm looking at you "Black Market") into a fucking rocket takeoff. Just hurry up and catch up. Evidently you and I are the only ones that watch this show on the board.