Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

Bethie

Life is good at this moment.

Pearl Jam Announces North American Tour

In support of their anticipated new release, Backspacer, in stores September 20th, Pearl Jam will be spending some time back on the road, with a series of select North American tour dates.  The tour kicks off in the band's hometown of Seattle, WA with two shows at the Key Arena on September 21st and 22nd, and closes with two shows at Philadelphia's historic Spectrum on October 28th and 30th.  Ben Harper and Relentless 7 will open all dates, except for the Spectrum Theater shows. All dates are subject to change.

DATE CITY VENUE PRE-SALE DATE/TIME
Sep-21 Seattle, WA Key Arena
Sep-22 Seattle, WA Key Arena
Sep-30 Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp.
Oct-1 Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp.
Oct-6 Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp.
Oct-7 Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp.
Oct-9 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena
Oct-28 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum
Oct-30 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum

ahh love. this is love to me.

Why write an essay making points on why to listen to and like Pearl Jam. It doesn't matter. Like what you like. I like Pearl Jam because I have a connection with their music. Often I refer to the line in Almost Famous, "They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts." I know what it's like. If I'm listening to the radio and a Pearl Jam song comes on, I know it may sound silly, but I equate that with having a good day. When I'm having a bad day or having a hard time coping with something, I NEED to hear Pearl Jam.

A best friend of mine was talking to a girlfriend of mine and asked her if she knew what it was like to hear music so good it's like a sexual experience, he said "I'm sure MB knows." yeah, I know. one of my teachers was chatting with me last week and he stopped me and said "I've never met anyone so passionate about movies and music."

give me a Terry Malick film and a Pearl Jam album and I'm set for life.
who likes movies anyway

tpfkabi

what would you do if:

a. there was a Pearl Jam song in a Malick film

or

b. Malick directed a Pearl Jam video

?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

The latter is more plausible.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Anyone want to join me for my first pearl jam concert in LA?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

This is fricking awesome moving to LA was the best decision ever.

MacGuffin

For Bethie:

Watch This: Pearl Jam's 'The Fixer' Video, Directed by Cameron Crowe
by Jessica Barnes; Cinematical

If ever there was a director who truly loved rock and roll it's Cameron Crowe. The man started his illustrious career as a rock journalist and as a film maker, and he also made one of the greatest rock movies of all time, Almost Famous. Grunge legends Pearl Jam and Crowe go way back; the band appeared in his film Singles, and Crowe helped put together Pearl Jam's Single Video Theory back in 2000. Now, Crowe has made music videos in the past, but this has to be the perfect combination of band and director because nobody respects rock and roll more than Crowe ... and nobody takes it more seriously than Pearl Jam.

Back in May, the band showed up at Seattle's Showbox for a surprise concert with Crowe behind the camera shooting a commercial for a deal between the band and the discount retailer, Target -- and yes, you just read that right. I guess everyone involved was happy enough with the footage -- so happy that it became the basis for the music video for their new song, "The Fixer", included on their upcoming album Backspacer, which will debut via iTunes and Target on September 20.

Pearl Jam had infamously refused to make music videos back in 1992, and other than an animated creation for Do the Evolution (courtesy of Todd McFarlane) they have stuck to their word. I have to admit, as much as I admired their principles, I kind of missed seeing the band in action. Maybe I've been out of the Pearl Jam loop for a while, but dang if this isn't a happening little track and a pretty cool looking video -- and the coffee-drinking, flannel wearing gal who still lives somewhere inside me couldn't be happier.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Bethie

well damn. thank you. cameron + pj = bethie approved.  8) i bought tickets to see them on halloween in philly. sweet treats and pj in one day? i couldn't ask for more. im sort of not sure what to dress up as though. last year my girlfriend and i went as wayne and garth. i think that'd be perfect for a pj show. i'll have to find my wayne's world hat, i think it's underneath my couch.
who likes movies anyway

hedwig

go as this chick

ps. i'm not too crazy about this new single/video. my love for the PJ is still strong, so i'm gonna pull an Avatar and blame it on the fact that i''ve only heard the song in youtube quality.

tpfkabi

No in depth Bethie album review?

I'm kinda interested in this one since I like The Fixer.

From what I've read it's one of their shorter albums, which makes me wonder if it will get the same reaction as REM did with Accelerate.

hedwig

alright, no more silent treatment. it's time for us to talk about this..

my favorite part is the album cover. the title's interesting too.

the music: a handful of decent tracks, the rest is kinda tepid. first thing i noticed: no more guitar solos ever. is pearl jam trying to become one of those bands that is only GREAT when they perform live?

i love the first 4 tracks. eddie should do more solo stuff, though. some of this sounds like it could be leftover from the Into the Wild soundtrack. overall, it's a decent album that leaves me feeling like i should just listen to some other pearl jam album..

tpfkabi

i don't regret buying it. Pearl Jam is what it is - i don't see them coming out with an electronic trip hop record anytime soon.

all of it is listenable, whereas, i don't remember that being the case with Riot Act - though it's been a long time since i've revisited it.

i dig the 2 free show downloads. i would have liked some 'in the know' PJ fan's help on what to get, but i ended up getting the shows that had more of my favorite songs.

Bethie

so it goes like this, im seeing pj in less than 72 hours. and im not sure what to do with myself. i have been reading up on their recent shows. theyre playing the last 4 events at the wachovia spectrum in philly. its a big deal. saturday is the last time an event will be held there. word on the street is they will be playing until 2am. if they do, i may weep.

as for talk on the new album, i havent listened to it many times. its not on my ipod. i listen while im wandering around the house. what hedwig said, i also thought a few of the songs could have been left over from ed's solo record. i like the slower tunes. always have.
who likes movies anyway

Bethie

you guys. i heard crown of thorns live. life is complete. 3.5 hours. 40+ songs.

more on this later.
who likes movies anyway

tpfkabi

sounds great.

i finally listened to most of the 6/28/08 Mansfield show i got with the free download.
i was really surprised at how heavy it was on Yield era and older (and that i was actually familiar with most of the songs).

http://pearljam.com/show/tweeter-center-jun-28-2008