COLDPLAY

Started by Finn, April 13, 2004, 07:15:14 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Half-way through the album.  It's decent so far.  I'm listening to the song "X&Y," which marks a sort of center of the album, according to the interview that came with the album, and so the second half is supposed to be different than the first.

I just thought it was neat, this whole iTunes pre-order with exclusives thing.  So I also get 2 bonus tracks and that bonus video.  It was available for download at midnight.  Pretty neat.

It's certainly very listenable, but doesn't grab me like Rush of Blood did immediately.  But I'm only half-way through.  Every song has been pretty good so far and there are a few standouts already (I like "Fix You").

There was a version of "Talk" that was posted in this thread and I had for a while.  This song went through a lot of change.  The final version on this album is different.  It sounds similar, but much of the words are different, it seems like.  I've gotten used to the old "Talk," but I like this "Talk" as well.

Worth the money if you're a fan, certainly.

Thrindle

I like Coldplay, but their new song is nothing to get excited about.  I probably should buy the album before saying: no longer is their sound distinct, but rather, it's becoming redundant (but I won't wait to buy the album, I'll say whatever I want)

And for Chris Martin to say he wants to pick up where U2 left off, is saying he thinks Coldplay is in the same realm.  Ugh, think again.
Classic.

RegularKarate

There's a radio show here on Sunday nights hosted by a music critic called "The Next Big Thing" and they played all of the new Coldplay and White Stripes albums sunday.

The Coldplay stuff is boring as all gettup.  There's nothing to grab onto, it's justsozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

The host hated it to.

The Perineum Falcon

Experts Decode Coldplay's 'X&Y' Cover
Jun 9, 12:32 PM EST

The Associated Press

'Is Coldplay trying to tell us something with that multicolored symbol on the cover of their new album?

Cubelike images adorn the packaging, both on the cover and the liner notes, of "X&Y," the British band's much-anticipated third album that was released Tuesday.

New Music Express asked a number of top art experts to figure out what the geometric figure means. They've concluded it's a 19th-century telegraphic code known as the Baudot Code, or The International Telegraph Code Number One. It was used in teletype machines in the late 1800s.

So, what does it say on the album cover? It says, appropriately enough, "X and Y." The rainbow colors are there just to make it pretty.

A message on the back of the liner notes says, "Make Trade Fair." The band is politically active, and lists several Web sites in the liner notes at which fans can get involved in global affairs.'
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

context, context, context.

Finn

I can't believe that guy married Gwyneth Paltrow. My envy and jealousy will forever be directed towards him....
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Stefen

Paltrow is a dog. People Paltrow has fucked should yield some interesting results.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

deathnotronic

I hate this band.

Finn

Quote from: deathnotronicI hate this band.

They probably hate you too
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pubrick

Quote from: ranemaka13Experts Decode Coldplay's 'X&Y' Cover
Quote from: Pubrickso basically, chris martin is saying he genetically modified his kid.
Quote from: cronopio
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

Speed of Sound sounds a little too much like Clocks for me.
When they first came out with the hype and Parachutes, I couldn't get into it because I thought the lyrics were a little too simple, and the sound ripped from The Bends. Some time later I did decide to get the album and I think it's pretty good. I like how it was recorded. Very reverb-y, almost like a jazz record. Anywho, when AROBTTH came out, I streamed it through the website and I was just not impressed. The band seemed to be using every cliche' and repeating some of the things from Parachutes. There are two things that are in probably around half of all Coldplay songs:
1. strummed 8th note guitar utilized in Yellow
2. Chris Martin sings the word 'sing' and then hums a melody.
That being said, about half of the AROB songs were pretty good. I liked how they were probably trying to get a Kid A vibe with A Whisper, but I think most fans dismissed that as a weak track.
I recently streamed X&Y through the MTV Asia site.
It doesn't seem to me like they have grown that much.
I read an Entertainment Weekly article that said the band had originally come up with an experimental electronic record, but then scrapped it and kept working on the tracks. I would really like to hear this.
All this being said, I don't hate Coldplay. I just think they have so much more potential and are not utilizing all of their talents.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Finn

Quote from: bigideasSpeed of Sound sounds a little too much like Clocks for me.

I felt the same way, but Clocks is still better

Stefen

Quote from: bigideaswhen AROBTTH came out

The cool way to say it. Capitalized and everything. I LIKE THAT. SHOWS ME YOU KNOW YOUR COLDPLAY.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen Posts Drunker
Quote from: bigideaswhen AROBTTH came out

The cool way to say it. Capitalized and everything. I LIKE THAT. SHOWS ME YOU KNOW YOUR COLDPLAY.
it's no HTTT.
under the paving stones.