The World According To Garp

Started by filmcritic, June 28, 2003, 05:04:04 PM

filmcritic

"The World According To Garp" came out in 1982 with Robin Williams and Glenn Close. I thought that this is a good topic to post to remind people of how great this movie really is. Maybe not too many people have seen it, but Robin Williams gave one of his best performances in it. This was Glenn Close's first movie and she got an Oscar nomination. It is a brilliant film about life with many offbeat moments that really worked. I also loved that George Roy Hill used "When I'm 64" and "There Will Never be Another You" so beautifully. By the way, there is music that plays in the movie that I suppose is connected to the musical score which I can't find. A saxophone is used at one point in the movie and there other scenes that have similar music. If anyone has it or knows a way to get it, please pm me. If you haven't seen this gem of a movie, go out and rent it or buy it.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

sphinx

i haven't seen this movie in a really, really, really long time.  the scene that sticks out for me was the plane, but i saw it on VHS and such a long time ago that i really couldn't give an opinion

filmcritic

Yes, that picture of the plane through the house is also on the original poster of the film which I have up on my wall. If it's been a really long time since you've seen it, go back and look at it again. It's really a masterpiece.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Ghostboy

I've read the book, but haven't seen the movie. John Irving is often a fantastic writer, and this is one of his best. I've always wanted to rent it, but never have, obviously.