Morgan Freeman

Started by Find Your Magali, September 15, 2003, 10:41:16 AM

Find Your Magali

An appreciation thread for an amazing actor

OSCAR-WORTHY PERFORMANCES
1. The Shawshank Redemption (nominated, lost)
2. Driving Miss Daisy (nominated, lost)
3. Street Smart (nominated, lost)
4. Se7en (probably overlooked because he played the non-flashy role in a genre film)
5. Glory (overshadowed by Denzel Washington, deservedly so)
6. Unforgiven
7. Lean on Me
8. Nurse Betty (such an underrated performance)
9. Clean and Sober

I hope there's a few more juicy roles out there for him. He seems to be stuck in the police thrillers these days. He's on my short list of folks I'm dying to see win an Oscar.

cine

One of my favourite actors and I'm also hoping he's given Oscar one day. Perhaps his role as Nelson Mandela in the upcoming film will get him the nod for a potential win.

Finn

I really love this guy. All of his performances are really wonderful. Lately he's had a string of bad movies (with the exception of "Bruce Almighty"), but I'm hoping that he'll do something with Oscar-quality soon.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

coffeebeetle

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread.  After looking around and not finding a thread on this guy, I'm so pleased someone started it.

Morgan Freeman undoubtedly deserves an Oscar.  My favorite performance of his was Somerset, and as an aside I think Se7en is one of the most overlooked thrillers of the decade (though I hate to pigeonhole it as thriller because I think it breaks the genre in several ways.)  

I thought he was also fantastic in Nurse Betty and Amistad.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Find Your Magali

Quote from: coffeebeetle25I thought he was also fantastic in Nurse Betty and Amistad.

That movie is so wonderful. It would have been great as it was, with the dialogue and the scenes between Zellweger and Kinnear. But adding the second occurrence of somebody falling in love with an idealized vision of perfection that doesn't exist (Freeman falling for Zellweger) was sheer script brilliance. And Freeman sells it. You never once think that it's odd that a 65-year-old black hitman has fallen for Renee Zellweger. Or, if you do think it's odd, at least you understand where he's coming from. She's his escape. She's the Zihuatanejo that this Freeman character will never get to. Heartbreaking stuff.

cine

One of the most underrated comedies of recent years, for sure...

soixante

It is unbelievable that Morgan Freeman hasn't won an Oscar yet.  He definitely should have won for Street Smart.  What a brilliant performance.  Then to switch gears a year later and play a counselor in Clean and Sober -- a completely different character.  Then look at Unforgiven, Shawshank Redemption and Seven.  Amazing.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Find Your Magali

Well, to expand upon what Cinephile was saying, he does have some promising roles coming up, according to imdb.com

In addition to the Nelson Mandela biopic, he has:

1. An apparent supporting role in the Hallestrom/Redford/J.Lo vehicle (how weird does THAT sound) "An Unfinished Life"

2. Co-starring with Julianne Moore  :-D  in the Richard Price adaptation "Freedomland"

Anachronism

I really liked him in "The Power of One" and "Prince of Thieves." Whenever I think of Morgan those two films and of course Shawshank immediately pop into my head. He is one of those blessed few who just seem to emanate wisdom and authority about themselves. It is thanks to this innate aura that I find many of his characters are so engaging in so far as they seem eerily realistic and tangible. I often think of him as an underrated, overworked Poitier for my generation. Sadly actors such as Morgan and Ving and Samuel and many others to boot are often compromised in terms of their freedom to select their roles as there is often a very high demand for thespians of colour and distinction, that more than anything in my mind accounts for the slew of unfortunates that are listed amongst their varied accolades.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Anachronismactors such as Morgan and Ving and Samuel

:yabbse-thumbup:

ElPandaRoyal

Morgan is great. No doubt about it, BUT....... how many more times does he need to play a detective? I mean.... really..... he shouldbe playing Somerset on almost every movie he made after Se7en.
Si

coffeebeetle

Quote1. An apparent supporting role in the Hallestrom/Redford/J.Lo vehicle (how weird does THAT sound) "An Unfinished Life"

What the....
You can't even peg this oddity on global warming.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your Magali1. An apparent supporting role in the Hallestrom/Redford/J.Lo vehicle (how weird does THAT sound) "An Unfinished Life"

Right right, I remember hearing about that one...I'll have to see that. I know I can trust Hallstrom, Freeman and Redford if nobody else. And I've always thought it would make Jlo even hotter if she could act. And I think she probably can looking at Out Of Sight...with Hallstrom directing and surrounded by two great actors she would really be a joke if she fucks this one up.

Yea, Morgan Freeman is just a powerful guy. He always reminds me so much of James Earl Jones. They both have that sort of iconic voice and look.

MacGuffin

Rod Lurie is Resurrecting the Champ
Source: Variety

Rod Lurie ("The Contender") will rewrite and direct Resurrecting the Champ, a Paramount drama being eyed as a starring vehicle for Morgan Freeman.

Originally written by Chris Gerolmo, the film is about a 30-year-old L.A. Times sports reporter whose desperation for a big story leads him to track down a homeless man he believes was once a famous fighter. The journalist and the reluctant subject form a father-son bond while the scribe gets a heartfelt story, or so it seems.

Lurie is also writing a DreamWorks drama for Steven Spielberg that is set in the New York media world.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Sportswriters! Freeman! Boxing! YES! Bring it on!  :-D

If they're looking for a first-time thespian to play the frumpy 30-year-old sportswriter, I'm game. ... Or they could just pick PSH and I'll project myself onto him.