Brett Ratner's PTA syndrome.

Started by Jon, April 02, 2003, 08:54:55 AM

atticus jones

tanks for the kind wards...

we mus have the same mutha cus our commune if ication is thick...

does anybody read with unda stunda or is all theez geese flocked up...

xixax is drywax an dielax as in noflo and deadslo...

i feel sorree forum...jus reel to reel sorree...

give me a pubrick michael diamond moment of zen shake down on any thread with a little eggstra mac muffin to feed the brain and i wood slip lyke a lady...

make change fo eye holla?
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

aclockworkjj

Anyone who would even touch Mann's original is not a "good joe" in my book....in the age of all these studio hating directors....Mr. Ratner has proved by re-making Red Dragon that he is nothing more than the studio's little bitch.....someone pass him some jelly for the next time the studio wants to stick their hand in his ass and pull his strings....

makes me sick.

MacGuffin

Well, I have to say that Mann's version was not the greatest to begin with. It was not very faithful to Harris' novel, turning it more into his Miami Vice-type detective story, and it barely gave the killer much depth, dropping the sympathetic romance between Dollarhyde and Reba that I think was the strength of the novel and Ratner's version.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinWell, I have to say that Mann's version was not the greatest to begin with. It was not very faithful to Harris' novel, turning it more into his Miami Vice-type detective story, and it barely gave the killer much depth, dropping the sympathetic romance between Dollarhyde and Reba that I think was the strength of the novel and Ratner's version.

I saw the first 2/3 of Mann's version, and it's one of the most boring things I have ever scene (though I've been told there's a great scene at the end) ... which is disappointing, cause I love Heat, and I love The Insider.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI saw the first 2/3 of Mann's version, and it's one of the most boring things I have ever scene

Freudian.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BackUpOffMeFoo

Who else could stop on a dime and still make sense?
The unda cuva brotha from anotha mutha

Pass the gravy cause this turkey is dry
Pass the mic I want a piece of the pie
Pass the spliff cause I need to get stoned off my fucking ass

Puff Puff... Pass

Back up in this piece for too double oh tree
Changin minds like E double oh three
It’s me, Mike D
What you got for free
My boy PT
Pays my salary
Plus a Consultation fee
From the down low G
So I gratefully
Pay respect you see

Eye of the tiger and dick of the donkey
White bred shit kickin rude boy honkey
When’s this EO gonna come back to haunt me?

Tick tock... I got time to kill.

See eff run
See eff jump
See eff skip,
See eff Oh

Ready, willing, and able to cook these books
Serious?

RegularKarate

I wish I were part of someone's posse

xerxes

EL__SCORCHO

I don't think Ratner is completely untalented. I enjoyed Red Dragon, no masterpiece, but I didn't mind. There are tons and tons of movies worse than Red Dragon. I haven't seen Rush Hour , but the other day i caught the beginning of Rush Hour 2 on TV and I watched it and laughed a lot, I enjoyed myself watching it.

And as for his cocky attitude, I don't blame the guy. He makes a nice living doing what he loves. I want to direct movies and it's fucking hard to break into the business. If nobody wants to finance any of my scripts, then I'd glady take a job directing a Rush Hour or Red Dragon. I mean, at least I'd get to be behind the camera and shoot shit with some good actors. It beats a fucking desk job.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: MacGuffin

I don't want my comment to be misconstrued as "I should be where he is and not him." It's just that that student film is really bad.

Is it worse than The Dirk Diggler Story?

MacGuffin

Quote from: EL__SCORCHO

I don't want my comment to be misconstrued as "I should be where he is and not him." It's just that that student film is really bad.

Far worse. No sound, so no dialogue, but from what I gathered it's some horror movie type thing about a first date. Each person not knowing about each other so their minds race, thinking of one another as some cheesy, dead rotting body. Not much of a story.

Skeleton FilmWorks

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: EL__SCORCHO

Far worse. No sound, so no dialogue, but from what I gathered it's some horror movie type thing about a first date. Each person not knowing about each other so their minds race, thinking of one another as some cheesy, dead rotting body. Not much of a story.

what!! really? I saw brett ratner one night on the carson daily show and they played a clip of a short film he made at nyu and the clip had this disco music and a shot on NYC from on top of a limo. I think it was about some pimp. I thought thats the one that would be on the Red Dragon dvd.

MacGuffin

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI saw brett ratner one night on the carson daily show and they played a clip of a short film he made at nyu and the clip had this disco music and a shot on NYC from on top of a limo. I think it was about some pimp. I thought thats the one that would be on the Red Dragon dvd.

That short is on the Rush Hour DVD.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

well, you gotta admit that he at least has the balls to let his student films be shown. many directors promise to do that (including pta), but almost everyone chickens out