The Natural History of Nonsense (not PTA related *sorry*)

Started by kassius, February 15, 2004, 01:02:11 AM

kassius

Didn't know where else to go.  I know this place isn't for chatting about books, but shoot me!  I found only ONE web site during an internet search tonight for it; that book being: "The Natural History of Nonsense".  It was at Amazon.com, no cover, no notes, no anything.

I was wondering since all of you are PTA fans and watched "Magnolia" plenty of times, maybe you've decieded to give this book a chance?  I can't find any reviews of it, anywhere, but PTA seems to love it.

kassius

If you care...

UPDATE: I called around to a few libraries in town and somebody had it! I've began reading it.  It's tiny, like 300 pages. It's like a pocket sized book; easy to carry around, which makes sense because as I figured, it is intended as sort of a handbook in life.

But there, Chapter 1, first line... it reads: "WE MAY be through with the past, but the past is not through with us".

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ckad79If you care...

UPDATE: I called around to a few libraries in town and somebody had it! I've began reading it.  It's tiny, like 300 pages. It's like a pocket sized book; easy to carry around, which makes sense because as I figured, it is intended as sort of a handbook in life.

But there, Chapter 1, first line... it reads: "WE MAY be through with the past, but the past is not through with us".

i remember reading an article about this book and its influence on magnolia -- without taking any wind out of anderson's sail ( dont get me wrong -- love the movie with all my heart) i did find it a little disapointing that many of the films most enciteful lines ( one being WE may be through the past....) were taken from this book. and furthermore, im not sure if he ever cited this or gave credit to. i felt similar upon hearing that the whole scenario in the opening montage was a well known "story" that had been discussed numerous times @ ferensic seminars.
...your excuses are your own...

SoNowThen

ckad79 -- Thank You!!! I've always wanted to know where that quote came from. How did you find out about this book?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: SloyjDon't they talk about this on the Magnolia DVD?

And on Greg's FAQ page.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Quote from: SoNowThenWhen on the Magnolia dvd?

In the Making Of... feature, I think Mr. Paul Thomas Anderson talks about it
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Probably in the interview at the start, right? With the snake story?

That's the only time I really remember him talking at length...

kassius

It may be on the DVD somewhere... haven't watched "That Moment: Magnolia Diary" in awhile.

I am sure it's listed somewhere at PTAnderson.com, but I found it by doing a search for the quote and spotting:

http://www.fjw.org/quote.html

TheVoiceOfNick

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickDoes the book mention raining frogs?

From Greg's site:

Where does the quote from Magnolia, "The Books says, We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us", come from? Is it the Bible?

The book they are referring to is "The Natural History of Nonsense" by Bergen Evans. It's a book about strange phenomena, like those of Charles Fort.  The quote comes from the book's opening sentence.  The book basically attempts to rationally explain why people believe rumors, urban legends, and strange phenomena, including raining frogs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

And no.. it is not located in the magnolia diary or anywhere on the dvds for that matter.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Sleuth

Hm, well I don't know where else I'd have learned that from
I like to hug dogs

kassius

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickDoes the book mention raining frogs?

From Greg's site:

Where does the quote from Magnolia, "The Books says, We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us", come from? Is it the Bible?

The book they are referring to is "The Natural History of Nonsense" by Bergen Evans. It's a book about strange phenomena, like those of Charles Fort.  The quote comes from the book's opening sentence.  The book basically attempts to rationally explain why people believe rumors, urban legends, and strange phenomena, including raining frogs.

Where does this summary come from, PTAnderson.com?  Running with how it's written, the comment gives one the impression that "raining frogs" is nothing more then a rumor, urban legend, or strange phenomena.

From what I understand, the idea of frogs falling from the sky, happens!  Not often, but it does.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/general/raining.html

A lot of what I read, shows it happening in Mexico, South America, or in that area of the world.  I do wonder a bunch of things about it?  Do they get lifted and spit out or just thrown around in the air for a bit?  How far from the sky do they fall? For how long? How many?  Anything close to what we saw in "Magnolia", enough to flood a pool? HAHA.  

"This happens....this is something that happens."  -  STANLEY