PTA's DVD picks

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 15, 2003, 01:30:38 PM

©brad

Quote from: petehedwig you're like a less political version of jeremy blackman.  you both have that calm inquisitive magic going on.

oh my god.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Well, I for one applaud ebeam for going against the grain. I was starting to think we had a bunch of clones around here. Remember people, it's okay for someone to hate something that you like. It doesn't make them an asshole, actually, it probably makes you an asshole for liking something that sucks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

I agree with Stefen... except that I think ebes didn't really get Network.

grand theft sparrow

I agree with RegularKarate.

modage

Quote from: StefenWell, I for one applaud ebeam for going against the grain. I was starting to think we had a bunch of clones around here. Remember people, it's okay for someone to hate something that you like. It doesn't make them an asshole, actually, it probably makes you an asshole for liking something that sucks.
theres nothing wrong with going against the grain per se, but i have a problem when some people tend to 'go against the grain JUST TO go against the grain'.  everybody likes quentin tarantino, so i hate him.  everybody hates this movie, so i will find some merit in it.  that shit really bugs me, REALLY.  now, sometimes there will be a hype or anti-hype accompanying a film that you cant ignore and will factor into your feelings about a film, BUT to love/hate something just to go be different is annoying.  i was actually just talking about this with someone yesterday.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: themodernage02per se
Thank you for being one of the few people on the planet who knows how to spell that right.

Quote from: themodernage02everybody likes quentin tarantino, so i hate him.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but it is related to the topic, so what the hell.  I hate Tarantino's schtick now because his movies have become vapid and empty (among other things).  That's not going against the grain for no reason.  That's having an evolved, discriminating taste that won't settle for style over substance.  Tarantino makes quasi-art films for people who don't know what the hell an art film is, with violence masquerading as calm, cool, collected comedic relief.  It was cool in Dogs and Pulp because it was fresh in light of the early-90s PC movements, even though it reeked slightly of plagiarism.  Jackie showed incredible growth -- Tarantino was at the top of his game here, though few have realized the film's subtle power yet.  But now he's relegated himself to making send-up after mockery after ill-conceived homage until he can finally squeeze out another original thought -- which probably won't be for a while.

More on topic, to bash Network for the reasons "he who shall not be named" has stated shows an unbelievable amount of naivete -- ironical enough, considering the source, and for anyone familiar with Xixax history.  That he was once scared of Korine and now kisses the ground he walks on is incredibly amusing.  I admire Korine greatly, and I have my reasons, but it almost makes me ashamed to do so, in an asshole kind of way that I really shouldn't be ashamed for.

Quote from: themodernage02everybody hates this movie, so i will find some merit in it.  that shit really bugs me, REALLY.
I can understand where that sentiment comes from, but I'm more of the camp of "everyone loves this movie, so I will find some reason to dump on it."  Not really (that is, I don't want to hate a movie), but I will be more critical of it, usually with a justification.  Now, I'm not as bad as, say, GT, but high standards are important for anyone who views film as art.  Not to get into another discussion of film as art VS. entertainment or anything.  It works best when it's both, but still, it's an ugly can of worms.

Quote from: themodernage02BUT to love/hate something just to go be different is annoying.
Agreed.

Quote from: themodernage02i was actually just talking about this with someone yesterday.
Deets, man.

And any chance you'd change your name to themodernage04?  themodernageopoeia?  "mod.  james mod?"  Why are you looking at me like that?  Where the hell are we going and WHY ARE WE IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Sorry.  The ghost of Tarantino possessed me for a moment there.

hedwig

Okay, my turn.

Quote from: StefenWell, I for one applaud ebeam for going against the grain.

Oh, fuck the grain.

Quote from: StefenI was starting to think we had a bunch of clones around here.

I must've missed that, because one of the things I like about Xixax is the assortment of different opinions.

Look at THESE clones:

Quote from: Mr.BurgerKingJust saw [Nasvhille] and didn't like it all...I really hate country music.
Quote from: Disco StuI hated it too.
Quote from: Chainsmoking InsomniacI didn't think it was that bad.
Quote from: bonanzatazi think i like nashville better than shortcuts. it gets better with every viewing. i've only seen short cuts once though, so i don't know. i love the music in nashville.

And that's all from this thread. One guy "didn't like it" and "hates the music", another guy "hated it," then someone "didn't think it was that bad," and then some one else thinks it "gets better with every viewing" and "loves the music." All on one page.

Quote from: StefenRemember people, it's okay for someone to hate something that you like.

Absolutely.

Quote from: StefenIt doesn't make them an asshole, actually, it probably makes you an asshole for liking something that sucks.

I know you're kidding so I won't say how stupid that is.

RegularKarate

So wantautopia has a problem with people incorrectly spelling "per se" yet says "ironical"?

ono

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ironical  :-P  (I spelled it ironical just 'cause I knew someone would point that out, ironically enough.  Or not.  Who even knows anymore.)  Reminds me of when Garner got on Conan for saying "snuck" and then he brought out a dictionary to prove her wrong.

RegularKarate

I remember that episode, it was funny... I think he's done that a couple of times.

Yes, I'm aware that it's in the dictionary, but it still makes people sound like gimps when they say it (except maybe brits and Canadians, I think they might get away with it more often).

Ernie

Quote from: wantautopia?More on topic, to bash Network for the reasons "he who shall not be named" has stated shows an unbelievable amount of naivete -- ironical enough, considering the source, and for anyone familiar with Xixax history.  That he was once scared of Korine and now kisses the ground he walks on is incredibly amusing.  I admire Korine greatly, and I have my reasons, but it almost makes me ashamed to do so, in an asshole kind of way that I really shouldn't be ashamed for.

yea, whatever. i have no idea why your so angry and agressive right now man.

kinda off topic, i gotta say just for the record, that i think it's funny how everyone identifies me with korine now even tho i haven't mentioned him by name once since i started posting here again. i haven't said anything wrong or out of turn either, and yet here some of you are, egging me on for stupid reasons like because i don't like "network" or cause i like "dumb and dumber" (different thread). i didn't even tear it apart or anything either, i just maturely stated my opinion and you shot back trying to insult me. weird.

regardless, i'm not going against any kind of grain by the way, or else i'm not trying to in all of this. i just don't like that movie. i never did and i never will. pta likes it....i think that's fine. i didn't even know that till i read it here, just now. for fucks sake, it has nothin to do with harmony korine....i don't see that connection at all in any world. i admire regularkarate for, in response, just saying i didn't get it rather than going on this whole tangent like this guy just did for no reason. i don't get it.

hedwig

Quote from: ebeaman, in response to wantautopia,yea, whatever. i have no idea why your so angry and agressive right now man.

i gotta say just for the record, that i think it's funny how everyone identifies me with korine now even tho i haven't mentioned him by name once since i started posting here again. i haven't said anything wrong or out of turn either, and yet here some of you are, egging me on for stupid reasons like because i don't like "network". i didn't even tear it apart or anything either, i just maturely stated my opinion and you shot back trying to insult me. weird.

I recently learned that by responding to it, you are only (if unintentionally) asking for more.

Quote from: ebeamanregardless, i'm not going against any kind of grain.

I agree. That's why I wrote "Fuck the grain" a few posts up. There's no grain. Everyone's got their own way of looking at stuff. Hell, one of the Xixax-ers went out and bought the "You Got Served" DVD a little while back. If anyone is grain-going, it's him.

Ernie

Quote from: HedwigI recently learned that by responding to it, you are only (if unintentionally) asking for more.

probably true, yea. and if so, of course, i'm not asking for more, but i mean, if i receive it...fuck it, it's just a message board, at the end of the day.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamankinda off topic, i gotta say just for the record, that i think it's funny how everyone identifies me with korine now even tho i haven't mentioned him by name once since i started posting here again.

Well, you did leave xixax for the Korine message board. That could have something to do with it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks