American Splendor

Started by dufresne, July 18, 2003, 02:55:37 AM

Ravi

At first I didn't like the segments with the real Harvey Pekar, but after a while I accepted it as part of the film's style.  The performances by Giamatti and Davis were excellent.  What can I say?  I liked this film a lot.

SoNowThen

Just saw last night. Fucking great. Loved the loose form and structure, loved the reality-fiction overlap. Busted open the audience-movie gap. Awesome. Different than I expected, and I was happily surprised. Saw with only two other folks in the theatre, so a good theatre experience as well.

:-D  :-D  :-D

3 out of 3 big smile faces.

-- James Urbaniak is way underrated, imo. --
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThenSaw with only two other folks in the theatre, so a good theatre experience as well.

Same here.

MacGuffin

Warner and HBO have announced the release of American Splendor on DVD on February 3rd. Extras will include audio commentary, Easter eggs, an 8-page comic insert entitled My Movie Year, the theatrical trailer and more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Killa.

I think, in a dead heat for my favorite movie of the year, with All The Real Girls.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

More details:

Warner Home Video will release the Harvey Pekar biopic, American Splendor, on February 3rd. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1, extras include audio commentary with directors Robert Pulcini and Shari Springer-Berman and selected cast members, additional interviews with the real Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner, an isolated music-only track, the "My Movie Year" six-page comic insert, theatrical trailers, hidden easter eggs and exclusive ROM content including the original website and screensavers. Retail is $26.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

poster art preserved...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

I really liked this movie, too bad it only made around 5 million at the Box Office.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

but its budget was only $2 million.  so it more than doubled its budget back.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"We intended to sleep through (the nominations)," said Robert Pulcini, who with partner Shari Springer Berman racked up a nomination for best adapted screenplay for Fine Line Features' "American Splendor." "But one of the publicists called us at 5:30 a.m. to say that it was starting." Pulcini said that he reluctantly watched the noms on television, while Springer Berman camped out in her PJs in the hallway of their Los Angeles hotel so she wouldn't be able to see the television. So does "Splendor's" one nomination mean that the film's subject -- ever-crabby Cleveland cartoonist Harvey Pekar -- will be in the house on Oscar night? "He would make a great presenter," Pulcini said. "But he'd probably fall asleep because he doesn't stay up past a certain time." Added Springer Berman: "People kept telling us (an Oscar nomination) was a possibility. But we couldn't believe it. We've been astounded by the life of this film. It's funny if you look at all the nominations in this category because we adapted our film from a comic book. That will really excite Harvey."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Bride of Frankenstein is Alive!
Source: Variety

American Splendor team Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini are in talks to rewrite and direct a remake of Bride of Frankenstein for Universal Pictures, produced by Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer. Variety says Berman and Pulcini join the project with a mandate to re-imagine the 1935 Universal horror film, originally helmed by James Whale starring Boris Karloff and Elsa Lanchester in the title role.

Berman and Pulcini would start from scratch and script a character-driven horror film more akin to Rosemary's Baby. Their concept for "Bride" is set in contemporary Gotham, centered on a young woman attending college. After being haunted by someone else's memories, she gradually discovers that she died and was then unnaturally brought back to life.

There will be no connection between this film and the studio's Van Helsing, due out May 7, though the Frankenstein character makes an appearance in that film.

The duo have also written Family Planning at New Line, which they are attached to direct, and Brother Sam at Universal with Tom Shadyac attached to direct.

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cecili liked it

me too.

and crumb has a funny laugh........

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinAmerican Splendor team Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini are in talks to rewrite and direct a remake of Bride of Frankenstein for Universal Pictures, produced by Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer.
weird.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen

-- James Urbaniak is way underrated, imo. --

Have you seen Hal Hartley's Henry Fool (he stars) or Sweet and Lowdown (small part, but noticeable)? He also does a cameo in Hartley's Book of Life)...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Henry Fool is the first movie I saw him in.

He's the man. I wanna use him in my movies.