Started by MacGuffin, September 28, 2005, 01:34:06 PM

Kal

damn, looks like their got shia lebouf for this one too!!!!  :yabbse-grin:

Gold Trumpet

MacGuffin

'Dark Knight' heeds Imax signal
First major feature to have scenes shot in the format
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Director Christopher Nolan has made an inventive decision to film four sequences of "The Dark Knight" with Imax cameras. The next installment of Warner Bros. Pictures' Batman franchise, which again will star Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne, is scheduled for a July 18, 2008, day-and-date theatrical release with Imax theaters.

Although it is not unusual for 35mm-lensed features to be remastered to screen in Imax theaters, "Dark Knight" is the first major feature to be even partially shot using Imax cameras. These sequences will be combined with the rest of the film -- lensed in 35mm -- to produce the final product.

What the use of Imax technology in the production means for audiences in Imax theaters is that when the select scenes are shown, the aspect ratio will morph to the larger size, expanding the image to fill the entire screen. In traditional theaters, the goal is that the Imax-lensed sequences "would jump off screens ... and give patrons an experience they haven't seen in 35mm presentations," said Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution.

Following many months of testing, the first of the Imax-lensed scenes, including a prologue that introduces the Joker (Heath Ledger), was shot in Chicago last month, several weeks in advance of the actual start of principal photography. Additional scenes will be filmed with Imax cameras during the course of production.

Nolan said, "In continuing the story of such a great icon, I'm thrilled to be able to expand the scope of the film, not just in terms of its story, but in giving Batman and the Joker the largest possible canvas on which to face off. No existing technology compares with the Imax format in terms of its ability to throw the audience into the action, and we're very proud and excited to use this technology in a way that no one has before."

"Warner Bros. has always been committed to advancing the art of filmmaking," said Jeff Robinov, president of production at Warner Bros. Pictures. "The use of Imax cameras to film select scenes in an action feature is a great step forward in big-screen entertainment, especially in the talented hands of Christopher Nolan."

Greg Foster, chairman and president of Imax Filmed Entertainment, added that the application "will allow our crystal-clear images, 14,000 watts of digital surround sound, and screens up to eight stories tall to give Batman fans the most immersive cinematic experience in the world." He praised Nolan's vision, and the Warners/Imax relationship; he estimates that Warners has released roughly 20 Imax films to date.

Warners' "300" set an attendance record at Imax theaters in its opening weekend in March. Next month, the studio will release "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" in Imax, with the final 20 minutes of the film screening in stereoscopic 3-D.

Fellman expects at least three additional Imax releases from Warners to debut between the release of "Order of the Phoenix" and "Dark Knight." This would include a sequel -- currently in production -- to "Deep Sea 3-D."

"Dark Knight" will be presented by Warner Bros. Pictures in association with Legendary Pictures. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Batman's New Suit
The Caped Crusader won't swoop onto screens again until ''The Dark Knight'' hits theaters on July 18, 2008 — but he's already sporting a new-and-improved getup, and costume designer Lindy Hemming gives EW a first look and tells us about its features

ABOUT THE COSTUME

HEAD GAMES Ever wonder why movie Batmans rarely turn their horned heads? It's because the cowls of past suits were firmly attached to the neck and shoulders of the costume — necessary to maintain that iconic silhouette and to prevent the actor from moving around inside the mask. The new headpiece — modeled after a motorcycle helmet — is separate from the neck, so star Christian Bale can now swivel his noggin side to side, or nod up and down. ''It was the hardest part of the suit to make,'' says Hemming.

CAPE FEAR Don't bother asking. ''It's top secret,'' says Hemming. Meaning...? ''Let's just say things happen to the cloak.'' Our guess: It's also a picnic blanket!

BLADES OF GLORY The razors on Batman's forearms are actually part of the suit. (His gloves tuck into the sleeves of the suit.) They're retractable, and yep, they're weapons. ''They shoot at people!'' says Hemming with a Jokersesque laugh.

RAW MATERIAL The new suit is made of 200 individual pieces of rubber, fiberglass, and nylon and metallic mesh. Bruce Wayne's work duds now have a stylish texture, suggesting they're made with sophisticated new technology. ''I thought it would make it more interesting to look at and wonder about,'' says Hemming, adding that the stretchy rubber lines also help bind the costume to Bale's body.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Ugh, does it have nipples?

Please don't fuck this up. The first one was 99% PERFECT. This one already has alot working against it with that beast of a disgrace of a hideous looking/acting human being in Maggie Gylenfuckyou.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Quote from: Stefen on June 15, 2007, 03:46:20 PM
Ugh, does it have nipples?
no.

though
Quote from: imdbAs a joke, one bat suit was made with nipples. It was presented to Christian Bale as the real bat suit, but he knew instantly it was a joke, having seen a few design pictures during preproduction. He did pose for some publicity photos in the "nipple" suit.

MacGuffin

Wholly high-tech, Batman
There's a wild new two-wheeler in the Batcave for 2008's 'Dark Knight.'
Source: Los Angeles Times

Yes, it's ridable. You just have to be a little bit crazy and entirely French to do it.

Specifically, you need to be Jean-Pierre Goy, the stunt rider who's spent the last few months jumping Batman's newest batbike at some top-secret location in England to prep for next summer's Bruce Wayne caper, "The Dark Knight," starring Christian Bale as the caped one.

Goy is the only person who's ridden the new Batpod — a bike so outrageous it's hard to believe it was even built. It's not just because it's tricked out with grappling hooks, cannons and machine guns. The front and rear tires are both a monstrously huge 508 millimeters, and the engines are in the hubs of each wheel. Steering isn't by hand but by shoulder, since there aren't handlebars. Instead, there are shields that fit each arm like sleeves and have the ability to rotate around the bike's frame. The two foot pegs are set 3 1/2 feet apart on either side of the tank, which the rider lies on, belly down.

That tank also moves up and down — you know, in case Batman needs to dodge bullets or slide under semis.

And you know he will.

Lucius Fox, gadget guru for Wayne Enterprises' Applied Sciences division (played by Morgan Freeman), is the guy who came up with the idea. At least he is in the movie.

The real man behind the machine is Nathan Crowley, creator of the Batmobile for Warners Bros. 2005 hit, "Batman Begins."

"The way we make films is we build things for real. We try and not rely on visual effects," said Crowley, who, in the end, had the easier job in making the bike come to life.

It was Chris Corbould who had to build the thing.

"I thought there was no chance we'd actually achieve it," Corbould said. "[Director] Chris Nolan and Nathan went for the look of it rather than thinking about the mechanics. That was the biggest challenge: Get their vision, but make it work and perform."

Not just once but several times. There are actually six Batpods, in case one or several are crashed during filming, which is likely.

Corbould wouldn't say what sort of engine was used for the slick gray-and-silver Batpod, just that it's "high performance." Nor would he give its top speed, except to say it's "very fast."

And the cost?

"I can't tell you that," Courbould said, laughing. "I haven't even told the producers."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Word is that Anthony Michael Hall will be playing the Riddler. A tragic mistake if true. Not for bad casting, but for putting in too many bad guys.

picolas

they should pull a fast one on us and do it all in the style of the original Batman movie, but still using the costumes/gadgets, etc. then added villains would only help the movie.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 11, 2007, 12:43:32 AM
Word is that Anthony Michael Hall will be playing the Riddler. A tragic mistake if true. Not for bad casting, but for putting in too many bad guys.

It's possible he could only be playing Edward Nigma and only have a brief, introductory appearance. That would just be a set-up for a future Riddler villain, which I think is forgivable.

MacGuffin

Maggie Gyllenhaal Wants To Banish Katie Holmes From Batman Memory
Source: Post Chronicle

Maggie Gyllenhaal wants to banish the memory of Katie Holmes from her role in the forthcoming Batman movie - and is confident she isn't just "some generic lady in a dress".

The Secretary star insists she was singled out for the role as Batman's lover Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight - the latest installment in the Caped Crusader franchise - by director Chris Nolan, and believes she will bring a new angle to the superhero's love interest.

She says, "I'm not thinking of it as a role that anyone's played before. I'm not walking into Katie Holmes' performance. I'm thinking of it as an opportunity to play somebody who's alive and smart. Chris asked me to do this because he wanted me, not because he wants some generic lady in a dress."

And the actress admits she is looking forward to performing her own stunts in the film: "I'm really excited about it. I mean, it's not some silly action movie: Chris Nolan is directing, Christian Bale's starring. I'm really excited and curious about doing a couple of stunts in Batman."

Skeleton FilmWorks

B.C. Long

Well for continuity purposes I hope she at least acts in a similar way because that would be pretty lame if her personality is completely different.

For the record, the best recasting ever is Jennifer Parker's character in Back to the Future. I didn't even realize she was re-casted until a couple of years ago. I don't know if that's due to being so young when the movies came out or because Elisabeth Shue is a great actress.

MacGuffin

New Dark Knight Viral Site?
Source: SuperheroHype

Fans have pointed us to WhySoSerious.com, which appears to be yet another viral site for The Dark Knight. Remember IBelieveinHarveyDent.com and IBelieveinHarveyDentToo.com? At the new site, the Joker seems to be recruiting people for his gang. But what's very interesting is that the page includes coordinates in San Diego and that the clock is counting down to approximately when the Warner Bros. panel takes place at Comic-Con. Hmmm...

http://www.whysoserious.com/

Skeleton FilmWorks