The Florida Project

Started by jenkins, August 14, 2017, 11:49:02 AM

csage97

I finally saw this last night. Spoilers ahead!

With regard to the ending, are you guys referring to the cut from Moonee crying to the fast motion run? I found that visually very jarring and it totally took me out of the emotional resonance of what had just happened. The upbeat music was also really jarring. However, I don't mind that they ended with the shot of the Disney castle; it serves as a reminder of the juxtaposition of Halley's and Moonee's life and that of what people with children choose to go to Florida for, which is to luxuriate in the expensive make-believe magic world of Disney.

I will say that the silent credits roll was an AMAZING choice. Absolutely amazing. All of a sudden, after all that's happened and this big musical crescendo, the theatre goes silent and everyone is too stricken by what just happened with the story to say anything louder than in a whisper. That was a very interesting experience in itself, and kudos to Sean Baker and team for that one. I thought the editing was really good on the whole as well, and I saw that Sean Baker did it himself.

Reel

I'm watching the HBO doc "Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County" which I saw when it came out and really liked, but I haven't seen it since I watched The Florida Project. TFP always felt reminiscent of this doc to me, but now I think that Sean Baker lifted details directly from it for his movie. For instance: it's set at motel with an hourly-monthly rate, the same kind of open layout and stucco walls, it focuses a lot on the kids playing/getting into unsupervised mischief on the motel grounds, which is located across the street from Disneyland and it's noted that these kids will never go despite how close it is. Obviously, these kids are much better off than the characters in the film ( they go to school ) but it's worth a watch if you're interested in the subject. On HBOmax