DVD's from overseas

Started by bonanzataz, August 31, 2003, 06:34:25 PM

bonanzataz

I just bought a new, region free DVD player along with a widescreen, 5.1 sound mix of lost highway (ah, glorious). Anyway, I'm looking to see if there are any movies out there that aren't released in america but are overseas or if the overseas versions are better than the american ones. For example, the movie "slacker" is not available on DVD in america. or, texas chainsaw massacre is available in america, but in europe, an hour long documentary is added onto the disc. are there any other dvd's out there that you guys like but can't get but i can?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

The first ones that immediately springs to mind are the Irreversible and Trainspotting discs. The Wild At Heart one would be a good followup to Lost Highway, although SUPPOSEDLY the region 1 version may be coming soon. Lots of choice Asian films, too, like Battle Royale and the Takeshi Miike stuff and Hideo Nakata's brilliant Dark Water and Shaolin Soccer (although actually, most of those are available on region zero editions).

NEON MERCURY

Also, ....check out the Mulholland Drive.. disk that i believe is region free or something...it has behind the scenes and stuff on it.....or i could be a complete idiot about this...but i thought that i heard something about an overseas MD disk that has features on it that those who have region 0 dvd palyers  can access...

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyThe first ones that immediately springs to mind are the Irreversible and Trainspotting discs. The Wild At Heart one would be a good followup to Lost Highway, although SUPPOSEDLY the region 1 version may be coming soon. Lots of choice Asian films, too, like Battle Royale and the Takeshi Miike stuff and Hideo Nakata's brilliant Dark Water and Shaolin Soccer (although actually, most of those are available on region zero editions).

I've hear read the Japanese Wild At Heart DVD has a poor transfer and cropped to about 2:1.

I believe there is a Predator SE in some other region.

Ash

There is a Predator SE  on Region 2 in England.

The  K-PAX DVD has an extra commentary on Region 2.

Ghostboy

You hear that, Taz? K-Pax!

The Wild At Heart I was talking about was the UK edition, which does have an unofficial transfer. But it beats the hell out of the VHS. According to lynchnet.com: The transfer isn't great, but watchable. There are visible halos and a fair amount of edge enhancement in the image. The aspect ratio appears to be correct finally. If you're someone who only wants to buy a film on dvd once, wait for the MGM release which will be the new Lynch supervised transfer and sound mix. But if you want a copy of Wild At Heart to hold you over until then, you might pick up a copy of this disc if you can find one for a reasonable price. It's the best we have for now.

Another cool thing is that you can get certain movies way before they even get released in the US (if they get released at all).

modage

raging bull 2 disc region 2
la dolce vita 2 disc region 2
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Dirk

Quote from: NEON MERCURYAlso, ....check out the Mulholland Drive.. disk that i believe is region free or something...it has behind the scenes and stuff on it.....or i could be a complete idiot about this...but i thought that i heard something about an overseas MD disk that has features on it that those who have region 0 dvd palyers  can access...

Check out the review for the Mulholland Drive Region 4 DVD here.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

samsong

just saw Paris, Texas (vhs) and think it's one of the best films.. ever.  Anyway, checked ebay and there are a few different versions available, two of which are Region 0.. one of them is PAL so that leaves me with the Brazilian DVD, but I don't know if the DVD's worth it... transfer wise.

Can anyone direct me to a review (or reviews) or actually own the DVD?  want to know if it's worth the purchase.  Thanks.

jokerspath

In addition to the ones mentioned, They Live has a sweet Region 2 DVD w/ much better extras, if that's your poison.  Also, an Evil Dead box set was just released over there w/ a disc of new supplements (if my sources are correct).

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Ravi

Quote from: lonely soulany bollywood movie. there's lots of them. i love them.

Most of them aren't really "overseas" DVDs.  They are region-free, except for the few released by US or UK companies.

bonanzataz

so, do they still do the PAL 4% speed-up (as in, making 24 fps fit into 25 fps by speeding it up)? i figured that dvd technology could get rid of that, but reading up on PAL dvds, i'm just not sure. i'm scared. i haven't gotten a chance to watch any pal dvd's, but will i get pissed off when i see that everything is moving too fast?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

Quote from: bonanzatazso, do they still do the PAL 4% speed-up (as in, making 24 fps fit into 25 fps by speeding it up)? i figured that dvd technology could get rid of that, but reading up on PAL dvds, i'm just not sure. i'm scared. i haven't gotten a chance to watch any pal dvd's, but will i get pissed off when i see that everything is moving too fast?

You can adjust the speed of a DVD with WinDVD software.  I don't know of any non-computer way of slowing down a movie.

Too bad there is no way of retaining the original 24fps in PAL like there is in NTSC, even if it is 60i.

bonanzataz

i think my dvd player does it automatically. i didn't notice the movie going faster than it was supposed to the other night.

MacGuffin

Found this at a Lynch website, but you can rent other titles from them too:

Rent Lynch DVDs From Other Regions

For those folks here in the US who have mult-region/format players and want to check out some of Lynch films' dvds from overseas, now you can without having to buy them. A new company called Nicheflix.com stocks rental discs from all over the world. They have the German Lost Highway, Korean Wild At Heart (region 0 so it's playable by all US dvd players), Korean Twin Peaks Season 1 (which includes the pilot), Korean Fire Walk With Me, Spain Twin Peaks full series (remember its poor quality though), the German Dune Perfect Collection discs and even Mulholland Drive on D-VHS. They also stock a wealth of other foreign and cult discs. Their fourm also has some helpful suggestions for inexpensive players that can be made region free and do pal to ntsc conversion.

http://www.nicheflix.com/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks