Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

Ghostboy

I saw this trailer in front of Eternal Sunshine, and its far and away the best trailer I've seen in quite a long time. Who knows if the movie will be good, since trailers are indeed tools of the devil (and like so many evils, wonderful in and of themselves). But it made me very excited.

It's not online yet, but I'm sure that when it is, this thread will have already disappeared, and someone else will start one about it and Mac or Themodernage will redirect them to this one.

ono

Isn't this the one that Zach Braff (Scrubs) wrote and directed?  If anything, I want to see it just to see what he can do.  He plays such an asshole on Scrubs, and he makes him likable, which is a great accomplishment.  So here's hoping this kid's got talent.  I heard this film was the talk of Sundance, too.  Or something.

El Duderino

yeah, i saw the trailer at spotless mind too, it looks great
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Until the trailer is available...

Release Date: July 30th, 2004 (limited release)

Cast: Zach Braff (Andrew Largeman), Natalie Portman (Samantha), Ian Holm (Gideon Largeman), Method Man, Peter Sarsgaard (Mark), Jean Smart, Geoffrey Arend (Karl Benson), Alex Burns (Dave), Aunjanue Ellis, Ato Essandoh (Titembay), Jayne Houdyshell (Mrs. Lubin), Rob Liebman, Jim Parsons (Tim), Armando Riesco (Jesse)

Director: Zach Braff (directorial debut of the star of TV's "Scrubs")

Screenwriter: Zach Braff (feature debut)

Premise: When Andrew Largeman (Braff) returns to his hometown in New Jersey for the first time in 10 years to attend his mother's funeral, he is reconnected with the world he left behind, and meets a girl, Samantha (Portman), who may change his life forever. Having recently stopped taking the powerful antidepressants he had been prescribed for years, Largeman's journey of self-discovery prompted by his return causes him to have a more healthy rediscovery of himself, which includes confronting his psychologist father (Holm) and helping Samantha through her own psychological issues.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

natalie portman's so hot

pete

she used to goto harvard which is like 10 minutes from my house and would from time to time stop by the theater that I work at.  She likes tall guys and audrey tautou films, I can tell you that much.
is garden state that huge film that swept sundance?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

El Duderino

Quote from: pete
is garden state that huge film that swept sundance?

the trailer said it was an official selection

godardian

Nothing to do with this, I presume...?

...wouldn't be the first time the indie film world had embraced Moody... But it looks like nothing to do with each other.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Chest Rockwell

I saw the trailor for this at Eternal Sunshine as well and boy does it look good. I was actually rather disappointed with the trailors for Eternal Sunshine; the only ones that looked interested were this and Door in the Floor (another Focus Feature, too). Anyhow, I'm quite interested in this one.

SiliasRuby

From what I read on this thread it sounds like a great movie
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Finn

I actually saw this movie at the Ebert & Roeper film festival. I thought it was about as pretentious, preachy and dumb as a movie can be. There wasn't a shread of authenticity or laughable humor throughout the whole movie. E&R both liked it, although they had some problems with it. Most of the crowd I saw it with shared my feelings about the movie. Good trailer though. :wink:

MY ADVICE: Do not spend your money on it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Link

I saw the preview last night and remember whispering to my girlfriend that I thought it was one of my favorite trailers.

Finn

It really is a good trailer, too bad it's for such a bad movie. It's not at all what it looks like.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pubrick

Quote from: QuoyleIt's not at all what it looks like.
no way.. i for one am FLABBERGASTED.  :yabbse-shocked:
under the paving stones.

Finn

Let me put it to you this way, notice that in the trailer there was hardly any dialouge (if any). There's a good reason for that.