Cannibal Holocaust

Started by Ghostboy, August 10, 2003, 04:14:59 AM

Ghostboy

Has anyone seen this Italian Horror film from the seventies? I just saw it at a midnight screening. It's fake documentary about a professor who goes looking for some lost documentary filmmakers in the Amazon jungle. I think the Blair Witch guys must have seen this, because there's quite a bit of similar stuff.

It's also incredibly horrific, to the point that the director was arrested and the film was banned around the world, and was long thought to be a snuff film. Going in, I figured it would be pretty dated -- and while some of it is, a lot of the violence is really pretty vile. I don't know how they faked some of the stuff -- I'm thinking maybe they didn't. Several animals are killed on screen, and those are definitely real -- I couldn't watch those parts. There's also a scene involving a wooden post that is probably one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Do a web search and you'll find a few images of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's a sometimes funny, frequently disgusting film that you should check out if you want to test the strength of your stomach. I guess I'm glad I saw it, but I don't ever want to see it again. I think it's mainly only available on bootlegs, but there's a new print that 's going around the country for midnight shows.

filmcritic

I don't care to see it either. I heard it was pretty horrific. But I have heard about it because I knew that they were doing that midnight screening of it. I would love to go to a midnight screening at some point. Just recently, they showed tons of classics like "A Clockwork Orange", "The Shining", "Blue Velvet" and many more.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

phil marlowe

Quote from: filmcriticI don't care to see it either. I heard it was pretty horrific. But I have heard about it because I knew that they were doing that midnight screening of it. I would love to go to a midnight screening at some point. Just recently, they showed tons of classics like "A Clockwork Orange", "The Shining", "Blue Velvet" and many more.
aww the ratings...

Mesh

Quote from: GhostboyHas anyone seen this Italian Horror film from the seventies? I just saw it at a midnight screening. It's fake documentary about a professor who goes looking for some lost documentary filmmakers in the Amazon jungle. I think the Blair Witch guys must have seen this, because there's quite a bit of similar stuff.

There's no question about it.  The premise is basically stolen.

Quote from: GhostboyGoing in, I figured it would be pretty dated -- and while some of it is, a lot of the violence is really pretty vile. I don't know how they faked some of the stuff -- I'm thinking maybe they didn't. Several animals are killed on screen, and those are definitely real -- I couldn't watch those parts.  

The animal mutilation scenes are all too real.  All the other violence and bloodshed is faked, but considering the film's budget, it was all faked beautifully.  Dated as this film may be, it's incredibly convincing in the gore/torture/violence/cannibalism department.

Quote from: GhostboyThere's also a scene involving a wooden post that is probably one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Do a web search and you'll find a few images of what I'm talking about.

I posted a pristine cap of that scene in one of my very earliest posts here on xixax.com.  It was almost instantly made into a link.  Darn it.

Anyhoo....Wow.  What a scene.  So disturbing. So convincing.  Yet, so imminently fake-able.  I mean, she's just sitting on a bicycle seat, naked, covered in fake blood, with a mocked-up wooden stake point held between her teeth.  Gruesome, gorgeous movie-making.  Respect is due.

Quote from: GhostboyAnyway, it's a sometimes funny, frequently disgusting film that you should check out if you want to test the strength of your stomach. I guess I'm glad I saw it, but I don't ever want to see it again. I think it's mainly only available on bootlegs, but there's a new print that 's going around the country for midnight shows.

I paid around $30 for an imported NTSC 16:9 DVD version, with a bunch of decent extras.  I can see what you mean about never wanting to see the film again.......but I wanted to see that movie so bad for so long....I just couldn't resist any longer.

Cannibal Holocaust is not what one would call a "good movie."  It's more like just a compelling idea for a movie (documentarians eaten by cannibals, second group of documentarians goes in search of 1st group's lost footage and films their own progress.....just bristling with film nerd goodness).  But what Deodato did with that premise is the real genius of the film: he made his obviously fake documentary "feel" real by juicing it with real death (that of animals), real jungle consumption (the 2nd group of filmmakers kills and eats a turtle for the cameras... it's just stomach-churning, fascinating stuff), and miraculously convincing gore.  The reality of the filmed events lends a sort of "real weight" to the faked rapes and cannibalism; given the prominence of fake documentaries that would follow it (This is Spinal Tap, Blair Witch, Waiting for Guffman, etc.), I'd have to call Cannibal Holocaust a watershed moment in its fields (cannibal movies, mondo films, fake docs., gore, Italian horror, etc.)  See it once if it kills you.  For serious.

Mesh

Quote from: mogwai
here's the ask mesh thread.

Total blast from the past.  The seeds of my eventual clash with MacGuffin were sown....not that that clash was intentional on either of our parts.  I like MacGuffin.  He's just not on my personal All-Star Team just yet.  RK went for the jugular with a trick question, earning points from me right off the bat.  And then the fateful "Genius-didn't-like-what-I-said-about-Altman-Nilsson-Popeye-and-PTA" moment.  Ah, the havoc that would come to wreak.

Classic stuff.  Classic.

MacGuffin

Ruggero Deodato Talks 'Cannibal Holocaust 2'!!
Source: Bloody-Disgusting     

Earlier this week we broke the news that legendary Cannibal Holocaust director Ruggero Deodato would have a cameo role in Eli Roth's Hostel: Part II- today we have something even more exciting. Originally I had a very special video interview with Ruggero, where he breaks his silence about Cannibal Holocaust 2, only the stupid file is corrupt (boo!). But at least I am able to still view the file, so inside you'll find our exclusive scoop on Cannibal Holocaust 2! 

While in Prague on the set of HOSTEL: PART II Ruggero tells Bloody-Disgusting exclusively that he already has the idea for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2, which he will now both write and direct. He tells us that on set Eli [Roth] gave him the courage and strength to do it and to go on with the project.

Originally he had put aside the job as director because he was afraid that the sequel would be too strong and raw for American audiences. After watching HOSTEL he now sees that the audience has taste for these type of films. He reallly likes how Eli shoots his movies and feels that they are very similar.

When asked about the story and when it might be shot he explained, "[I have] something in my mind... something written... [but] for now, silence," he continues, "I talked with Eli and Eli said 'yes, I like' ."

In the original an NYU professor discovers the true nature and intent of lost film makers, who were making a documentary on primitive cannibal tribes, when he returns from the Amazon with their footage.

Ruggero was arrested after the release in 1980 and questioned by police who thought the film was real.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

my cousin began downloading it one day because we actually thought it was a Cannibal Holocaust, as in real human deaths and consumptions.
maybe i should still watch it.
south america's my name.

MacGuffin

Relevant nabs 'Cannibal'
Shingle to remake 1980 cult horror film
Source: Variety

Relevant Entertainment has acquired rights to and will remake the 1980 cult horror film "Cannibal Holocaust." It's aiming for a summer start.

Relevant partner Michael Menchel and associate Steve Whitney will produce. The project is fully financed by Keith Previte of Scorched Earth Entertainment and Catherine Williams, who also will serve as producers. Paul Mason, Jordan Rush and Larry Joackim will exec produce.

The original, directed by Italian helmer Ruggero Deodato, has been banned in dozens of countries due to its gore and violence. Pic centers on a professor traveling to South America to find out what happened to a film crew that disappeared while shooting a documentary about reputed cannibal tribes. He eventually discovers the remains of the crew and several reels of undeveloped film, which show the disastrous consequences of the crew's decision to provoke the natives.

Deodato shot the pic in documentary style and was jailed briefly after the Italian premiere until he could prove the actors were unharmed.

Whitney, who spent six months securing the rights, previously partnered with Previte for the 2005 remake of "The Amityville Horror." Whitney and Previte also exec produced "Borderland" for Lionsgate.

Relevant's in pre-production on "Haunting in Connecticut" for Gold Circle/Lionsgate and is developing "The Tortoise and the Hippo" for Walden Media and "Pledged" for Paramount.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

those mother fuckers...

THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls