www.ptanderson.info >> Shooting 65mm Without Elswit?

Started by bluejaytwist, July 18, 2005, 07:10:22 PM

P Heat

seriously though him and Rami Malek look like annoying jock douches in their pictures on the blog together
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

ono

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCX81eCvvt4&feature=player_embedded

This was linked at cigsnvines earlier.  Don't overlook it.  It has a lot of That Moment footage, but there is rare footage (at least, unseen thus far by me) of PTA directing, setting stage in the Smiling Peanut.  It's not often he's shown in action like this and I thought it was amusing how he was vocalizing the scene and admitting how silly it sounded.  This is the second time, at least, I've heard him use the phrase "and on and on and on and on and on."  :yabbse-auteuridiosyncracy:

Stefen

Quote from: ono on July 06, 2011, 10:39:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCX81eCvvt4&feature=player_embedded

This was linked at cigsnvines earlier.  Don't overlook it.  It has a lot of That Moment footage, but there is rare footage (at least, unseen thus far by me) of PTA directing, setting stage in the Smiling Peanut.  It's not often he's shown in action like this and I thought it was amusing how he was vocalizing the scene and admitting how silly it sounded.  This is the second time, at least, I've heard him use the phrase "and on and on and on and on and on."  :yabbse-auteuridiosyncracy:

HAHA. I like when they're about to shoot the Brad the bartender scene and he's explaining to the cast and crew what the scene entails and when he mentions how Brad the bartender has braces he stops himself and he's like, "Yeah, I know it sounds like a stupid movie." Don't remember this part from That Momemt.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

"So as I'm saying this outloud I just wanna like not shoot this whole sequence."

:rofl:

that THAT MOMENT doc in its entirety must be so good.

Pubrick

Quote from: S.R. on July 06, 2011, 10:44:53 PMDon't remember this part from That Momemt.

that's because it's NOT IN That Moment..

as explained by ono and cigs and redvines that clip contains some footage not found in That Moment. mainly that pre-shoot explanation scene, and some of the talking head interviews.
under the paving stones.

Reel

why does he have to explain it like that, haven't those fuckers read the script? Well, I guess I can't blame 'em if they didn't. Its pretty long... but having to do that in front of a buncha people staring at you would make anyone think their movie sux

Pozer

i know! why even have a director at all?? just give everybody the pages and say "Go at it, shoot this fucker!" no need to explain sequences and mood and shit, what's written is what goes, lazy dumbshits who obv didnt even read the script for the movie theyre making ... i mean, it says plainly that he's obsessing over B the B's metal mouth, clearly put before was Don's dental visit to get braces he dont need. is this moron talent/crew illiterate or whuuut??? :doh:

so stoopid why he got ta splain it like that :evil:

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm pretty sure the way in which PTA directs is to somehow make him the human target, or at least mood-wise give people some sort of anchor.  Sure, he's explaining everything, but his mode of doing so and exasperated enthusiasm at least communicates SOMEthing about how he views the scene.  Or else you have some guy who's just shrugging going "I dunno...shoot what we wrote" or getting overly angry about how people DON'T understand his vision.
I would want to work with a director who acts down-to-earth like that, even to the point of self-deprecation.

ElPandaRoyal

Wasn't he only trying to explain that scene to all the extras there, so they at least knew what was going on in there? I'm pretty sure they're not given scripts to read, so he was explaining what that specific moment was all about, but out of context with the rest of the movie, it just sounded silly...
Si

Robyn

Neil

Maya needs nominated more often.  For this reason alone.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

modage

In other news, critic Glenn Kenny recently pointed us towards this article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer about late night horror host Ghoulardi (PTA's father Ernie Anderson) commemorating the 50th anniversary of his first broadcast. There's also a sidebar featuring some nice quotes from Paul. He talks about watching movies with his dad and that he's thought about setting a film in that era of the early days of local television.

"From time to time I've thought about making a film about that era of local TV and the kind of Wild West lawlessness and the things that could happen. When my dad was doing it, it wasn't national, it was local. And it felt like lunch time was drinking time and you could come back to work totally hammered." 

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/01/ben-affleck-shouts-out-pta-at-golden.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.