the wire

Started by pete, February 14, 2007, 01:40:51 AM

puddnanners

Anybody have trouble getting the 4th Season DVDs?  My video store in Tucson isn't going to get them for a few weeks (according to our distributor) and the retail stores out here that I checked (Best Buy, Circuit City, Target) only got a handful of copies and were sold out of them by mid-afternoon.  Apparently they were massively under-produced.  Anyone order it online?   

john

Quote from: puddnanners on December 05, 2007, 11:40:26 AM
Apparently they were massively under-produced.  Anyone order it online?   

I ordered mine through Amazon and it shipped on Sunday and it's current availability says "in stock", so you might wanna give that a try. $38.99, and free shipping. Beats what I've paid for these seasons so far.

EDIT:

Just arrived.

They changed the packaging from the previous seasons. I hate it when they do that.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

how are the extras?  why do the prices of the boxsets fluctuate from season to season like that?  SO WEIRD.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

I dunno about the price... maybe HBO has finally realized that the novelty of having a television show on DVD is fading enough that they can't charge $100 for twelve episodes of a show  that has an audience of potential viewers that outranks their audience of rabid viewers. The second season of Big Love next week is pretty cheap, as well.

I watched the hour-long doc on the disc. It's pretty good. I actually wanted to hear the creators and cast talk more... as opposes to this last season of Sopranos... which I loved, but couldn't get through a single extra because everyone involved was spewing hot air about how great, and integral, and symbolic they were... rather then really adding anything of interest. This doc, though... not too bad. Thou, e episodes alone are enough for me.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

diggler

anyone watch the three prequel shorts? here they are in case you haven't yet

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Fourth-Season/dp/B000QXDJLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196960455&sr=8-1

prop joe's is a bit cheesy, but omar's and mcnulty's are great.

edit: hey 200 posts. only took... three years? shit
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

Just watched whole season 1 ... pretty good but nothing to write mom about....................... should I keep it up ?

pete

whoa what?  what do you usually write home about?
sure, keep it up.  the fun is in the details and how much knowledge the writers possess about America today, maybe that's not fun to you.
- Buster Keaton

JG

i just finished season one today too, and it certainly is something to write home about. i love it so much, i want to watch more, but the DVDs are so much! i also have twin peaks to watch. 

Pas

I reckon you are right Pete... the writers are very informed. I was expecting Oz outside the prison and I got something much more subtle and gray. I shall keep on watching and report after season 2.

Boxing day sale here : most HBO stuff 20$ a season ... good times.

hedwig

Quote from: JG on December 29, 2007, 07:19:00 PM
i want to watch more, but the DVDs are so much!

despite what mac and silias might lead you to believe, you can still rent dvds!

pete

(no real spoilers, but still, stay away if you wanna remain 100% pure)

so good.  the new season.  it's really funny, it feels a bit new, with new characters, a grown-up dookie, and an entirely new angle.  however, it's still as frustrating as ever!
- Buster Keaton

Fernando

Quote from: pete on January 07, 2008, 01:12:23 AM
(no real spoilers, but still, stay away if you wanna remain 100% pure)

however, it's still as frustrating as ever!

Couldn't agree more. I don't have anything else to add, just glad someone besides cron and me will watch this final season.  :yabbse-thumbup:

edit: Did anyone see the special before the episode? I didn't watch it all out of fear of some spoilers, however I saw the part where almost every black character said they auditioned for other parts, IIRC: Daniels did for Bubbles and Bunk, Clay Davis for Bunk, Carver for Stringer, Chris Partlow for Marlo, Slim Charles for Omar and many others I don't remember.

cinemanarchist

I'll be watching too!! Last nights episode was fantastic but it seems crazy to me that this season will only consist of 9 more episodes. So many questions to raise and answer and so little time. The episodes are supposed to be available a week before the actual air date OnDemand but in Dallas Time Warner fucked us and as of this morning last night's episode still wasn't up. Oh well. I'm fully prepared for the best ten hour movie of the year. Oh and when they were giving the kid the lie detector/copier test I was dying.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

pete

that was in david simon's book "homicide."  it was an old legend from Detroit in the 70's.
I found some links online to the leaked episodes.  and I already accidentally caught a major spoiler from some kid and I hate myself for it right now.
I guess one big difference between The Wire and the "real world" is that, people in The Wire are a lot more desperate for change.  Most people in the real world become content or disillusioned with the situations they're in, no matter how hellish and shitty they are.  the characters in The Wire, particuarly in the first episode of the 5th season, all seem eager to stir shit up.
- Buster Keaton

all i have to say is GOD DAMN. carcetti. amazing.
context, context, context.