Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

Brando

After the finale, I recall an early episode where everyone is stoned in Peggy's office. Paul Kinsey starts to shout  "This is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends - not with a bang, but a whimper." Kinsey's character really summed up the 60s as he followed every trend/movement/thought of the era. The 60s ultimately ended without a bang. A show about the 60s was going to end the same. I think It's been obvious the show was going to end the same way it began: with the end of one decade/era and with the beginning of a new decade/era.

I really wish they would have had the failed SCD West pitch as the mid season finale. It would have been more shocking rather than when they had a few episode ago. You realized before it happened that they can't do this again and were going to fail. 

I really like Don's "On The Road" episodes. I wish it would have lasted the majority of the last 7 episodes.

The show was well aware of the viewers' expectations of someone falling to their deaths. Don checked to see if his windows in his new office would open, Roger talked about jumping off a 2 story ship, and having the retreat next to a cliff shows the writers were playing with us.

Don keeps getting rejected by anyone he tries to attach himself. His real family doesn't want him around. His adopted Draper family don't want him. The only one that wants him around is Peggy and the agency. And that's the family he returns to in order to create the coke commercial.

I love how subtle it's been leading up to Don was behind the iconic commercial. In the failed pitch, Don is offered the coke account. Peggy mentions coke to him on the phone. He has to fix a coke machine at the motel. Bob Dylan said of his song Tangled up in Blue that it took him"ten years to live and two years to write." We've witnessed the last decade of Don's life. We witnessed an entire decade. The commercial is a swans song for the 60s and of course it would be Don who creates it.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

wilder

THIS guy! Give this man some bigger roles!

Axolotl

He's like the Coca-Cola of people. Perfect casting.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee