I think I'm in love with Veronica Lake

Started by SoNowThen, May 04, 2004, 09:36:06 AM

El Duderino

Quote from: SoNowThen

she kinda looks like Britney Spears in this one
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: El Duderinoshe kinda looks like Britney Spears in this one
Sorry, I look at that picture and I don't think "whore."
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

El Duderino

me neither, that's not what i'm implying, i'm just saying, she kinda looks like Spears in that one. just that one.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrickare these all the same person??

The picture above is Rita Hayworth...with blonde hair. Gloria's pictures are of Veronica Lake, and Thrindle's first post is of Lake, Hayworth (with red hair) and Lana Turner.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

oh, thanks mac, i was starting to freak out.
under the paving stones.

Thrindle

This thread would just not be right without one more addition:

Stunning.

I'm expecting feedback on this one... To say it first though, this is real beauty.  It's obvious that Marilyn was just naturally gorgeous. By today's standards she'd be slammed.  Having said that, if she were famous today she would probably be all "personal-traineresque" anyways.  (I am completely biased and prefer her natural body to the hard bodies of today... perhaps that's because I'm female and hers is more attainable.   :P )

I found this picture and had to post it.  I wonder how often her glamorous smile was hiding this.
Classic.

Pubrick

Quote from: ThrindleBy today's standards she'd be slammed.
slammed like I would slam her?

i don't see any other way that sentence would make sense.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: ThrindleBy today's standards she'd be slammed.
slammed like I would slam her?

i don't see any other way that sentence would make sense.

:lol:

Yes, druggie zero-self-esteem super-slut ditz Marilyn is quite the positive role model for women everywhere.  :wink: well, from what I've read and heard it's true, so please don't hurt me

Anyway, yeah, she is cool, Thrindle, I agree. I sure like the other ones better though.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Thrindle

Quote from: SoNowThendruggie zero-self-esteem super-slut ditz.

Did you also read that she was sexually abused by her foster parents?  Betcha didn't read that.  So if that's the case, zero self esteem, promiscuous behavior, and the mask of "stupidity" might just be explainable.  Do you have any idea what sexual abuse does to someone?  

And one more point, who fucking cares if she had a lot of sex?!  If she had a dick you would have never said that!  Looks like you buy into societal double standards.  Maybe it's time to step back, and use your own mind to rethink your opinions.
Classic.

SoNowThen

Hahahaha, calm it down. I don't hate Marilyn. I like her just fine.

I just think it's funny that it's okay to hate-on young babes today, and those words are always tossed around, but yet it's fine for girls to put MM posters up all over their rooms.

Remember: I COULDN'T CARE LESS what kind of person MM was. Or what kind of person Britney Spears is. Cos I'll never meet them. I do know they look good to me. But if I say I think MM is beautiful, I get smiles and pats on the back, whereas if I say I think BS is beautiful, I get sideways looks and the "what a dumb whore" comments.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Thrindle

Yeah, but you forget that you had to add:
Quote from: SoNowThenwell, from what I've read and heard it's true

SO it was no longer about calling a girl pretty and someone else saying "ah, she's a slut".  You straight up said it.  Therefore your backpeddaling comment below has no merit.  You get sideways looks?!  Who cares!  You are doing the same thing that you just criticized.

Quote from: SoNowThenif I say I think BS is beautiful, I get sideways looks and the "what a dumb whore" comments.
Classic.

SoNowThen

My comment was a sarcastic reply to the "I am completely biased and prefer her natural body to the hard bodies of today... perhaps that's because I'm female and hers is more attainable" thing you said.

In other words, people were making comments comparing MM with "beauties of today", and having MM come out looking like an angel. By the the standards of which folks blast on girls now, I was saying that you'd have to include MM in the list, to be fair. My disclaimer was put there to say that I wasn't just making this shit up to prove my point.

Thrindle

Why didn't you just quote me then?  Instead of commenting beneath another of xixax's many mysoginistic jokes?  (I'm not saying I have no sense of humor but sometimes it gets a little annoying)

I suppose I jumped on this one because I've read your posts before, and quite frankly, often the way you speak about women pisses me off.

Example:
Quote from: SoNowThenI'm sure for her time she was a jack-off fantasy on par with a Pamela Anderson for my generation.

Furthermore, the post I commented on in the first place sounded nothing like the "take back" you just gave.
Classic.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ThrindleWhy didn't you just quote me then?  Instead of commenting beneath another of xixax's many mysoginistic jokes?  (I'm not saying I have no sense of humor but sometimes it gets a little annoying)

I suppose I jumped on this one because I've read your posts before, and quite frankly, often the way you speak about women pisses me off.

That's all fair. Part of the open dialogue is that you stand up and say something if you disagree. I wouldn't expect anything else.

As to my "jack-off fantasy" quote, do you think it is an incorrect statement? Do you not think that Lake was a sex symbol that boys dreamed about making love to?