Dinner for Five

Started by Xixax, February 04, 2003, 02:39:38 PM

Xixax

Anyone catch John Favreau's IFC show, "Dinner for Five"?

I think it's a really neat idea, but somehow the dinner conversation never seems to evolve into anything interesting. A lot of times people try to one-up each other with their quips and such, and it turns in to a friendly little verbal pissing match.

I think the show has great potential, but I can't put my finger on exactly what I still don't quite like it. Maybe because I don't care for Favreau too much. He's had some people on who would seem like they were interesting, but they usually weren't interesting at all.

Maybe I'm too harsh. Do you like this show?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

I thought the one with the stars of Daredevil (Affleck, Garner, Ferrell and Kevin Smith) was hilarious; as was the one with Marilyn Manson.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

It is kind of the opposite for me.  I love the show...and I can't put my finger on why.

I am at college now...hence I don't get IFC...so that means I don't get to watch them anymore.  I did download the Daredevil one.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

DVDFanatic talked with Jon Favreau about his hit IFC show, Dinner for Five. We asked him if there will be a DVD coming out for this popular dinner series. Here is what he said about the DVD and how he plans to dig up some of what was left on the cutting room floor:

Jon Favreau: “We're actually releasing a DVD of the first season and I'm going to go back into the old raw footage because most of the episodes have three hours of raw footage. Not all of it's good or entertaining. A lot of it is people picking their teeth but we are pulling some segments in and stuff that didn't make the cut for people who really like it, and [also] for people who can't get the show, because they can't get IFC. So NetFlix is distributing it. You can get it from their website or there will be ways to order it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

I always thought this show was cool... just watching famous people eat... its funny... and knowing that Favreau is gay helps me enjoy it just a little more...

SoNowThen

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickand knowing that Favreau is gay helps me enjoy it just a little more...

WHAT?!

The guy who wrote Swingers and Made...???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickand knowing that Favreau is gay helps me enjoy it just a little more...

i thought favreau was married?

anyway, i liked the episode with dave eggers and david byrne.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SoNowThen

WHAT?!

The guy who wrote Swingers and Made...???

Yeah, he's gay... this is a pretty well-known fact within the Hollywood community...

SoNowThen

but I swear I read he had a wife...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Sure makes him seem like a helluvan actor, doesn't it?  'specially considering his guest role on Friends several years back, too.

modage

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI always thought this show was cool... just watching famous people eat... its funny... and knowing that Favreau is gay helps me enjoy it just a little more...

why does him being gay help you enjoy it more?  i dont think he's gay.  he just recently talked about getting to kiss cameron diaz on an episode of DFF and it was not the musings of a gay man.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI always thought this show was cool... just watching famous people eat... its funny... and knowing that Favreau is gay helps me enjoy it just a little more...

why does him being gay help you enjoy it more?  i dont think he's gay.  he just recently talked about getting to kiss cameron diaz on an episode of DFF and it was not the musings of a gay man.

I think he was seen at gay parties and at gay clubs in L.A.... with other men... like as in no women around...

SoNowThen

well, it's possible he was with friends, just hanging out...

Tarantino said he used to frequent gay clubs in LA as a lark, and I'm pretty sure he's as straight as the day is long.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenTarantino said he used to frequent gay clubs in LA as a lark, and I'm pretty sure he's as straight as the day is long.

The day isn't too long, really.

SoNowThen

When you're at work it is...