John Hughes

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 13, 2003, 08:12:27 PM

NEON MERCURY

bueller barely edges out p.t.a.

i also find this a solid list of films....(omit Curly sue though).....

Chest Rockwell

Ferris Bueller is obviously the best

godardian

I enjoy Planes, Trains, and Automobiles once in a blue moon, but I hate John Hughes. The best John Hughes movie (Pretty in Pink) wasn't even directed by him... and it's still a pretty bad movie...  :(

Maybe someday there'll be a thread about whoever directed She's All That, who evidently was the John Hughes of the nineties...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianMaybe someday there'll be a thread about whoever directed She's All That, who evidently was the John Hughes of the nineties...

He's also the same guy who directed "Boys And Girls" and "From Justin To Kelly" so maybe that thread will not happen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Uncle Buck is a gem of a movie. But oviously Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day off are all tied for first place in the greatest John hughes movies ever.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

He was amazing and now he's dead. It's Time For John Hughes Marathon.....Time. I've been watching many of his films already. I'm in heavy withdrawal.

My Collection

Bethie

My parents never said Happy Birthday to me the other day. FACT.
who likes movies anyway

Gold Trumpet

I enjoy John Hughes, but he's no ornamnent in my film memory. I think Ferris Bueller's Day Off is very charming, but I hate Breakfast Club with a passion. I can't stand its conformity philosophy and cheap little melodramatics.

Movie of his I like more is She's Having a Baby. The movie is sincere and relevant with its ideas of the idealist having to deal with life after college, but the film cheapens itself with the music video odes everywhere. If those were gone I think the film could garner more public praise. Still, it's the film of his I like most which probably says I don't like Hughes very much.

MacGuffin

John Hughes doc finds distributor
Alliance Films picks up 'Don't You Forget'
Source: Variety

Until a few days ago, "Don't You Forget About Me" was just another Canuck feature documentary with no distributor and an uncertain future.

But that changed Thursday, with the death of its subject -- John Hughes.

When Toronto helmer Matt Austin-Sadowski woke up Friday morning, the first email in his inbox was from CNN requesting an interview. By noon, world rights to the low-budget doc had been snapped up by Alliance Films of Montreal with a U.S. deal in the offing.

The doc looks at the life and work of the filmmaker behind teen hits "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "The Breakfast Club" and "Sixteen Candles."

But "Don't You Forget About Me" -- a nod to the Simple Minds pop song featured in "The Breakfast Club" -- is hardly a standard biopic.

Rather it's a 75-minute, "Roger and Me"-like road trip in which Austin-Sadowski and his producers Kari Hollend, Mike Facciolo and Lenny Panzer head to suburban Illinois in their van to try to find the reclusive Hughes.

It was made without public funding, something extremely rare in Canadian cinema.

Austin-Sadowski, an actor best known for his role in the "Power Rangers: S.P.D." TV series, is thrilled his film is getting so much attention, but it's a bittersweet feeling given it took Hughes' death to spark the interest.

Austin-Sadowski, 31, said Hughes' films had a huge impact on him when he was in high school.

"He inspired me as a person, going through an awkward adolescence, as many people do," Austin-Sadowski said. "He took affairs of the heart very seriously, and no other director gave teenagers that sort of treatment at that time."

Thesps interviewed in the doc include Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Mia Sara, Kelly LeBrock and Andrew McCarthy. Molly Ringwald, perhaps the actress most associated with Hughes' hits, refused to take part in the project.

Austin-Sadowski said he hopes the buzz translates into renewed interest in Hughes' films. "That's what's important to us. It's not the deal. It's not more exposure for us."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 11, 2009, 01:56:08 AM
I enjoy John Hughes, but he's no ornamnent in my film memory. I think Ferris Bueller's Day Off is very charming, but I hate Breakfast Club with a passion. I can't stand its conformity philosophy and cheap little melodramatics.

Movie of his I like more is She's Having a Baby. The movie is sincere and relevant with its ideas of the idealist having to deal with life after college, but the film cheapens itself with the music video odes everywhere. If those were gone I think the film could garner more public praise. Still, it's the film of his I like most which probably says I don't like Hughes very much.
And that's why you are such a unique badass here GT, you disliked 'There Will Be Blood' AND some of the most beloved films talked about here.

My Collection

tpfkabi

It's hard for me to really speak of him as a director because all I've seen are panned and scanned edited versions of his films on TV.

As a screenwriter, he has given me many laughs over the years though.

I probably would have bought a John Hughes DVD collection, but I've been holding off hoping he'd consent and be involved in one.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Neil

Quote from: SiliasRuby on August 11, 2009, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 11, 2009, 01:56:08 AM

And that's why you are such a unique badass here GT, you disliked 'There Will Be Blood' AND some of the most beloved films talked about here.

Without getting too intense, let me here this fucking hate for Breakfast club. Where does it cross the line, and were you home schooled?  How old are you?  and why would such a light hearted film with great depth about children, get your passion of hatred involved.  There might be better things to be passionate about than hating the breakfast club with a passion.  I think silias is correct, i value your opinions on this board regarding film, but i'd love to know how this film doesn't work.  Kind of reminds me of that Klosterman piece where he talks about how toby keith.  I'm just interested in the so called " conformity philosophy and cheap little melodramatics."  Are you sure too many people didn't like it? and when was the last time you watched it?  Let me have it, I can't wait to hear assertions on a film, that floats like a feather, and doesn't claim to be much in 2009, but an amazing look back.

She's having a baby kicks fucking ass too, in my top 5 hughes
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

The older edition of Ferris has a Hughes commentary - the only one I'm aware of.

Has anyone listened to it?

I have thought many times of buying the old version just to hear it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

I have listened to it, its quite good and very informative.

My Collection

Neil

My copy was made in 1999 and it has the commentary.  "Widescreen Collection" Red band on the bottom

Fucking awesome

http://www.amazon.com/Ferris-Buellers-Day-Lisa-Bellard/dp/B00001MXXH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1250010765&sr=8-3
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.