Best DVD Release

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:08:17 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best DVD Release: SHORT CUTS (Criterion Collection)

THE NOMINEES

John Cassavetes: Five Films (Criterion Collection)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Extended Edition)
Short Cuts (Criterion Collection)
Star Wars Trilogy

modage

criterion whores.  what are the extras on this?  how can they possibly compare with the ROTK disc or the star wars box?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Luck, Trust, and Ketchup, an hour+ documentary on the making of Short Cuts.  It rivals That Moment.  A half-hour sit down conversation between Tim Robbins and Robert Altman about the film.  Lots of great, great music from the film.  A booklet with all the Carver stories from the film.  An Altman commentary.  Should I go on?  The $28 bucks I paid for this was well worth it, needless to say.  This was the only category I wasn't disappointed in.  Buncha fanboys, this site, that.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02criterion whores.  what are the extras on this?  how can they possibly compare with the ROTK disc or the star wars box?

The difference is that when Short Cuts and all the Cassavetes films were being made, they were being made to be just films. With LOTR and Star Wars, the mind set of commercializing the films into a million different products was evident from the start. Criterion getting all the special features they got feels miraculous compared to those glossy DVDs.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

There's an Altman commentary?  Where?
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ono

My mistake, I was talking about great Altman commentaries with someone and forgot that this one didn't have one.  Luck, Trust, and Ketchup and the Altman/Robbins conversation both have the impact that it seems he's "commenting," anyway.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Yeah, you're right about that.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Kal

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This thing came jampacked with features, even the script... hells yes.

Isn't Jackson planning an ultimate edition with all the Extended's together and even more features?  It's obvious to me why that lost to Short Cuts.  It had a lot, but the lingering thought of being cheated might be the scarlet letter for LOTR.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02how can they possibly compare with the ROTK disc or the star wars box?

Or The Ultimate Matrix set... Oh, wait, that wasn't nominated.  :yabbse-angry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02how can they possibly compare with the ROTK disc or the star wars box?

Or The Ultimate Matrix set... Oh, wait, that wasn't nominated.  :yabbse-angry:

..due in part to that fact that Revolutions sucked ass..

But I agree that it is a great box set with a shitload of extras.

life_boy

I was just glad to have this film on DVD.  The extras were...well, extras.

xerxes

Quote from: ono mo cuishleLuck, Trust, and Ketchup, an hour+ documentary on the making of Short Cuts.  It rivals That Moment.  A half-hour sit down conversation between Tim Robbins and Robert Altman about the film.  Lots of great, great music from the film.  A booklet with all the Carver stories from the film.  An Altman commentary.  Should I go on?  The $28 bucks I paid for this was well worth it, needless to say.  This was the only category I wasn't disappointed in.  Buncha fanboys, this site, that.

those are great features.  i really want to get this now

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinOr The Ultimate Matrix set... Oh, wait, that wasn't nominated.  :yabbse-angry:
if we had a box set category -- oh wait  :yabbse-angry:

RegularKarate

Quote from: Cinephile
if we had a box set category -- oh wait  :yabbse-angry:

Dude, two of the nominees were box sets... it wouldn't have changed anything.

Matrix didn't get nominated because not many people bought it... because the first film is the only really good one.