Enhancing camcorder images

Started by Bud_Clay, June 28, 2005, 05:41:20 AM

Bud_Clay

I will be looking this up but maybe someone can help me before I find my answer. I'm told that using a film lens for a digital camera will lessen the shittiness of the digital image. I'm using a JVC, DVM-50 mini dv camcorder. Is it possible to get an adaptor for it in using a 16mm c-mount lens? I've never tried to enhance the quality of mini dv before so maybe there are some tips someone might have. The only trick I really know is to de-interlace in editing.

matt35mm

There are plug-ins that not only deinterlace, but try their best to make the image "film-like."  The best programs do actually help.  No they don't look like film, but they look much much better.  I use Magic Bullet, which is one of the best.

The best part about it is that you get much more control over the look of the image.  There's a part in the plugin where you get to adjust all the elements of the image as much as you like, so if you're specific about image like me, you'll appreciate that.  I go in shot-by-shot and adjust.  It ultimately will show in the final product.

metroshane

The lens alone will not make the image better...except the fact that it may be a better lens.   The higher end video cams that use film lens are better just by design...not b/c they use film lenses.  The chip is the biggest part of the equation.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

cowboykurtis

i dont know of any 16mm cl mount adapter for a camera of that level - i think one of the few prosumer cams that can mount spherical lenses (35mm) is the xl1-2. At the end of the day your still recording to tape.

Choose film or video and embrace the inherent quality of the medium.
...your excuses are your own...

Bud_Clay

I probably should look into a plug-in like that. It seems that's the only option I have. Thanks for the help.

Reinhold

what're those plugins for that the editing program can't already do?

is magic bullet FCP 5 compatible?

are they free?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerwhat're those plugins for that the editing program can't already do?

is magic bullet FCP 5 compatible?

are they free?
Magic Bullet is very expensive (... if you buy it).  I don't know if it's FCP 5 compatable, but I think it maybe is.  I use it with Adobe After Effects.

It's very powerful.  It deinterlaces, yes, but also uses what was captured to re-create the entire image frame by frame with a more film-like look.  You basically have to see it for yourself.  Like cowboykurtis said, embrace what you're using.  The final image you get here is better than video and not quite film--it's its own animal and I personally like its look.  So, embrace that look.  It also allows you to then adjust the image with a lot more control than an editing program will allow you to do.

I believe the website for "Magic Bullet Suite" (google that to find it) offers a free trial.  You have to use it to see what I mean, so I suggest doing that.  See if they have a version that works with FCP 5.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: matt35mm
Magic Bullet is very expensive (... if you buy it).  I don't know if it's FCP 5 compatable, but I think it maybe is.  I use it with Adobe After Effects.

It's very powerful.  It deinterlaces, yes, but also uses what was captured to re-create the entire image frame by frame with a more film-like look.  You basically have to see it for yourself.  Like cowboykurtis said, embrace what you're using.  The final image you get here is better than video and not quite film--it's its own animal and I personally like its look.  So, embrace that look.  It also allows you to then adjust the image with a lot more control than an editing program will allow you to do.

I believe the website for "Magic Bullet Suite" (google that to find it) offers a free trial.  You have to use it to see what I mean, so I suggest doing that.  See if they have a version that works with FCP 5.

800 bucks is far too expensive. What about downloading it off Limewire? Does anyone ever do that? I'm not sure if that's taking a risk of a law suit.

It says it has 24p capability but what does the p stand for?

matt35mm

I downloaded it.

24p means 24 progressive frames.  That means 24 "solid" frames, not interlaced so it plays like film.  However, you can't make 29.97 frames into exactly 24 per second mathematically, so in truth, 24p is REALLY 23.98 or something like that.  It's not perfect.  In fact, it gives a little frame skip every minute or so because of it, and I personally don't like that.  I did my movie Poof! in 24p, but have since decided that I prefer making the 29.97 interlaced into 30 fps progressive.  It plays much smoother.  The 24p is a LITTLE BIT choppy.  Most people don't notice it, but I do.  Thomas Edison, my next movie, will be rendered in 30p.  Magic Bullet does 30p very well.  Despite the higher frame rate, it doesn't feel as fast as most video does--in the aspect of how 24 fps just looks different than 30 fps and is one of the things that makes video look like video.  It reaches a happy middle ground, I feel.

Pubrick

who the hell BUYS software? u only do that if u live with a cop.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

haha. i'm posting from a police station.

couldn't find any copies of Magic Bullet on limewire.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

Reinhold

i checked on ebay.

the magic bullet mini wireless vibrator.

magic bullet healing hair treatment

magic bullet express blending system

no software.

:yabbse-thumbup: