M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

Started by European Son, May 21, 2003, 10:07:35 PM

modage

wow, i didnt expect to see a trailer for that for a long time. i thought they were still filming.  july 30th huh? looks pretty neat.  the sound design had me a little freaked just sitting here at the computer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Pubrick

without watching the trailer/tool-of-the-devil, i just know this will be GRASSY.
under the paving stones.

Banky

yeah i was impressed with the trailer.  Night will deliver

RegularKarate

Yeah... trailer looks okay

hopefully Shyamalon has grown enough as a film-maker to not ruin the whole movie with a Crap ending.

(if he follows his pattern, this movie will be exactly like Signs, but with whatever the monsters in the woods are instead of aliens)

Stefen

SPOILERS....kind of.

A buddy of mine read the script and told me the ending. if its executed the right way it will work, if executed wrong it will be terrible.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

©brad

the links to those trailers aren't working for me.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ©bradthe links to those trailers aren't working for me.

..... :roll: even the trailers have a "twist".....

this film willl suck.....

Jake_82

I thought the trailer was really good looking and wonderfully suspenseful... but... they didn't really deliver anything to make the suspense worthwhile. I mean, usually they have something popping out to scare you at the end or some shit like that, but there wasn't really anything here... same problem with Signs, I think... he built up suspense for 75 minutes and then in the last 1/2 an hour there were some knocking on wood sound effects and a cheesy looking alien.
your reality is at the end of your dream

Pedro

Quote from: Jake_82I thought the trailer was really good looking and wonderfully suspenseful... but... they didn't really deliver anything to make the suspense worthwhile. I mean, usually they have something popping out to scare you at the end or some shit like that, but there wasn't really anything here... same problem with Signs, I think... he built up suspense for 75 minutes and then in the last 1/2 an hour there were some knocking on wood sound effects and a cheesy looking alien.
ill agree with you here  .he needs a better climax for this one.  

Unbreakable is still his best.

Ghostboy

A buddy of mine read the script and told me the ending. if its executed the right way it will work, if executed wrong it will be terrible.

I can't remember where I read it, but the ending got spoiled for me too. I guess it could work, but it's just another in a long line of twists, and I'm glad he's moving onto new territory with his next movie. The trailer looks okay, but nothing too exciting (it lacks the amazing score that made the Signs trailers so great).

Leatherface

******WARNING-MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS****************
******READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!******************************

The twist ending, from what I read, is that the people in the village are actually living in modern times, not 1897. The red marks on their doors are from construction workers. They put them there to let the villagers know they're going to be putting a mall up where they live. The creatures are actually construction equipment. The film ends with a black construction working getting into a truck and saying, "crazy fucking white people."

I don't know how true that is. They say the script was riddled with spelling errors and piss poor grammer. That does not sound like the work of M Night Shamalamdildo. Also, there is a scene in the movie where the villagers find all of their livestock skin and hung from trees. I didn't know construction workers did that :roll:

Also, I just don't think M Night is dumb enough to do that. That would be a huge blunder and possibly destroy his carreer.

Someone said if it was executed right that it would be good. Not in my opinion. If the year was 1973 and we were watching a half hour episode the twighlight zone, then yes, it would be alright.

*********END SPOILERS*************************************

Alethia

i really hope to God or whoever is out there that mr. shyamalan would not do something like that......i really don't think he would but, my God, if he does - I just don't see how that would work.  I DO NOT SEE HOW IT WOULD WORK.

EDIT - Wait, what next film? he has another one after the village?  or do you mean the village?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradthe links to those trailers aren't working for me.

Looks like they took them down, but you can 'View Preview' at the official site:

http://thevillage.movies.go.com/main.html

Quote from: ewardEDIT - Wait, what next film? he has another one after the village?  or do you mean the village?

Near the bottom:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Unbreakable is still his best.

.....you are correct....