Siliasruby (Michael) is planning a trip and wants to see you

Started by SiliasRuby, July 23, 2010, 10:59:10 PM

SiliasRuby

Hey guys.

I'm going from LA to Brooklyn, New York in my car and back again. Like matt said during his trip I would love to see you everyone here I can on the way. If only for a cup of coffee and to point me to where I can get a shot glass that says the state. I want to get one for every state I visit. If any of you could point me to the cheapest hotels/motels where you are residing, it would be much appreciated. If you're able to let me crash in a corner of your apartment that would be fine to...but no pressure.

The trip is as follows (according to the big cities I'm hitting): LA to Vegas, Vegas to Colorado, Colorado To Chicago (I'm going through Nebraska and IOWA), Chicago To Cleveland, Cleveland To New York, New York To Philadelphia, Philadelphia To Baltimore, Baltmore To Atlanta, Atlanta To Panama City Florida, Florida To New Orleans, New Orleans To Dallas, Dallas To Austin, Austin back to LA.

I got places to stay in vegas, colorado, ohio, new york, and florida. I am leaving August 4th and need to be in Brooklyn on the morning of August 19th. I'm going to try to be back in LA early september but theres no real heavy due date there. As far as money is concerned, I'm okay. I've been planning this for a long time and decided early on what places I wanted to hit. I also wanted to do this before I become too old and jaded for a trip of this magnitude. I welcome any help you guys could give me. I also wouldn't mind some other tips of places that aren't touristy but could be fun to check out.
I'm sure you have plenty of questions or maybe you don't. Either way, I'd like your opinion.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

matt35mm

Yeah!  Like I always say, what's the point of the USA if you're not gonna take some road trips?

I'm living in Austin now and would love to meet you then.  Unfortunately, I can't host you, because I'm staying with an older relative who's still creeped out by meeting people on the internet.

A few recommendations.  Firstly, the only touristy thing that I've seen that's ever truly been awesome is the Grand Canyon.  Since you're going from Vegas to Colorado, I'd recommend trying to find a way to see it, if you haven't been there before.  It's more or less between Vegas and Colorado, but it'd take an extra day probably.  I did it by staying in Flagstaff, AZ, a neat town just over an hour away from the Grand Canyon.

The other thing I'd recommend is CouchSurfing.  I did my whole two and a half month road trip, plus a recent week-long road trip from California to Texas, all without paying for a place to stay, and meeting a whole lot of wonderful people along the way.  If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a network of very generous people who allow you to stay at their place for free.  You don't even have to offer your place, if you don't want to.  It seems strange to some people at first, but I assure you that it's all on the up and up.  Go there, fill out your profile, ask people if you can stay with them.  Start asking 1-2 weeks before you'll arrive, and ask about 5-10 people per city/town.  That's always worked for me.  Best part: you'll get to see the non-touristy, cool parts of the city that you wouldn't have known about otherwise.  I've met some really great and interesting people there, and it MADE my trips in the U.S. and Europe.

Anyway, shoot me a PM when you know which days you'll be in Austin, and I'll see you then.  Have fun!

P.S.  I got to meet up with a lot of XIXAXers during my travels, and it was always great.  So this is an awesome idea.

SiliasRuby

I've already been to the grand canyon before but it was when I was really young so maybe I should go back. Matt, I'm looking forward to meeting you as well as anyone else who wants to help out. This will be the 4th time I've been to New York and the second time I've been to vegas. The last time was 10 years ago when I was 15. I really want to check out Chicago. Chicago xixaxers, let me know whats up.

Thanks for the tip about couch surfing.

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 24, 2010, 12:13:45 AM
I really want to check out Chicago. Chicago xixaxers, let me know whats up.

When might you be in Chicago?  I work a lot, but I work at a theater.  So, you know, worst case scenario, you could come see a movie.  But if I'm not working, we could go to a bar or something.  I don't know, I'm just an ideas man, here.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on July 24, 2010, 01:53:56 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 24, 2010, 12:13:45 AM
I really want to check out Chicago. Chicago xixaxers, let me know whats up.

When might you be in Chicago?  I work a lot, but I work at a theater.  So, you know, worst case scenario, you could come see a movie.  But if I'm not working, we could go to a bar or something.  I don't know, I'm just an ideas man, here.

I will either be there August 10th or 11th cause I'm doing an average 5 hours of driving a day and I'll be leaving avon colorado in the morning of August 8th. Other than having to be in Brooklyn on august 19th I have another deadline. I have my novel due to my agent on september, so whenever and if any of you guys meet me I'll have a small pad and pencil in hand. Don't know why I mentioned that.... Oh, other good news, this is for everyone but especially GT: Oliver Stone or his people read my Charles Manson Script. He liked it but wasn't interested in it at the moment. Just thought I would rub that in guys...  :yabbse-grin:

My Collection

Alexandro

fucking oliver stone, he should do the damn manson film instead of whatever money grabber or absurd documentary supporting nutbags he's involved at the moment, or instead of eating peyote or mushrooms. well, that one he can do and still make the manson movie.

Gold Trumpet

Very cool Oliver Stone news there, Silias. Even that shrug is a memory bank moment.

Reinhold

if you want to mix it up in brooklyn, please feel free to crash at my pad in crown heights.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Reinhold on July 27, 2010, 09:24:34 AM
if you want to mix it up in brooklyn, please feel free to crash at my pad in crown heights.
Thanks buddy but I already have a place there. But a cup of coffee would be nice..or some drinks of some other kind.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Mod.. I would love to have coffee with ya when I'm in NY.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

My itinerary is as follows...

Itinerary
Night of August 4th-Las Vegas. Seeing a friend whos a beauiful poker player
Night of August 5th-Richfield Utah
Night of August 6th-Avon, Colorado. Staying with a friend of mine.
Night of August 7th-Grand Island Nebraska
Night of August 8th-Omaha, Nebraska
Night of August 9th-Chicago
Spending a couple days in Chicago and leaving the 12th
Night of August 12th-14th-Elyria, Ohio. Relatives are there.
Night of August 15th-Scranton, Pennylvania
Night of August 16th-Boston
Spend a few days in Boston and then check out Springfield Massachusettes
The Morning of the 19th I'll drive into NY and get settled before seeing Jon Stewart that afternoon.
August 19th-23rd-New York. Going to a wedding. Thats the main reason I'm doing this trip this month.
The 23rd I'll spend checking out Philadelphia and Baltimore
Night of August 23rd-Baltimore
Night of August 24th-Greensboro, North Carolina
Night of August 25th-Atlanta, Georgia
Night of August 26th-Panama City, Florida Where my friend Arthur is currently living before he moves back to LA.
Night of August 27th-New Orleans
Night of August 28h-Dallas, Texas
Night of August 29th-Austin, Texas
Spend a day in Austin. Hopefully see Matt.
Night of August 30th-Van Horn, Texas
Night of August 31st-Tucson, AZ
Night of September 1st-Back in my home in LA

My Collection

Stefen

Oh, if I was you I wouldn't bother visiting Springfield, MA. It's a crap hole and dangerous. No offense to anyone there.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Sounds like an intense trip.  Make sure you got some sick ass beatz lined up on your iPod is my main suggestion, cuz you are gonna be in that car for a long time.

I'll see you when to get to Austin.  Have a great time!

Tictacbk

I'd skip over Dallas and spend an extra day in Austin.  It'll save you some driving time and for my money Austin is the only place worth spending any time in Texas (sorry Texans). 

Also in my opinion NM is a pretty cool state to just be completely passing by.  At least check out White Sands National monument, you're probably going to be driving right by it on your way to Tucson.

I offer up these opinions only because I've driven across the country a few times and really liked Austin and White Sands.