I have pictures too

Started by pete, January 15, 2006, 12:17:42 PM

ono

Quote from: squints on January 22, 2007, 08:58:54 PM
Was that last one a happy accident? Cause it is strikingly good
Agreed.  Reminds me of this guy:

pete

yeah.  I was bummed out about the picture but my friend Forest told me he really liked it, he said that about a bunch of blurry pictures I've put up here.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

a lot of stuff from the summer.  well, these are actually only from two rolls.  but I've got more stuff.

- Buster Keaton

ElPandaRoyal

Black and white makes some nice pictures  :yabbse-grin:
Si

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

- Buster Keaton

pete

nobody comments on my photos anymore :(

- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on October 31, 2007, 01:28:56 AM
nobody comments on my photos anymore :(

in the last batch of 3, you forgot to take pictures of anything, so there wasn't much to say..

new batch:

impossible to not like the first two.
also like the Taiwan Drift, and handsome girl modelling agency.
the final two pics, with the ransacked house, feel like the beginning of a series. still works as a two-parter.

easier to comment when you actually take pictures of something. :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

JG

matt35mm

Chest Rockwell

This last batch it seems the colors washed out in quite a few. However, your eye for snapshot composition is quite something. Also, in the really dark shot (circus?) the grain is a bit distracting. This is just nitpicking and maybe irrelevant to your purpose, but as it's all I can really comment on, I figured I'd put it out there.

I don't know if you're auto-exposuring or whatever, but in general it might help to bracket shots. That is, shoot the same shot a few times, once at the recommended exposure in your camera's light meter, and then one stop both above and below that exposure. You're bound to get the "correct" exposure then. But since your shots are so snapshot-y, it might be ridiculous to try for this. Speaking of which, I love the energy your photos all capture (with a few quieter exceptions). There's always a lot going on, if not explicitly (people moving quickly) then implicitly (such as the destroyed house). It's something pretty special to be able to capture that consistently, and as well as you do. I'm too slow a photographer to even try. All in all, good work as usual.

I do agree with P on the other shots. Abstraction and Modernist photography have come and gone, and in the end I think everyone decided that photography is not painting.

pete

the last batch all came from this one roll which was probably a slower stock rated at a faster ISO.  I didn't develop my color photos so I'm not sure.  Also, a lot of these shots only happened once, so my bracketed images captured a lot of less interesting moments, I do bracket though, and it always feels like cash burning.  I don't auto expose, and I've let go plenty of beautiful moments because of the slowness of my fingers.  I enjoy cinematography much more for this reason.
- Buster Keaton

pete

a few more outdoor images

and these were obviously taken by my friend, but I like them.

- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: pete on November 01, 2007, 04:54:42 AM
the last batch all came from this one roll which was probably a slower stock rated at a faster ISO.  I didn't develop my color photos so I'm not sure.  Also, a lot of these shots only happened once, so my bracketed images captured a lot of less interesting moments, I do bracket though, and it always feels like cash burning.  I don't auto expose, and I've let go plenty of beautiful moments because of the slowness of my fingers.  I enjoy cinematography much more for this reason.
I know what you mean. In any shot you're not preparing from the ground up it's impossible to bracket and capture the same image each time. It's not necessarily for that reason but I don't do snapshot photography anymore, really. It'd be fucking impossible now as I've recently "upgraded" to medium format (the Pentax 67II I'm using is just too heavy to shoot without a tripod).

Of course, you could try using a tripod and take your time if you decide to keep with this outdoor route. I myself prefer your street photography.

pete

- Buster Keaton