Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

jenkins

understand and appreciate the support for conclusiveness on this matter. some people are expressing violent opposition based on an unproven accusation, and there are consequences to consider here. it's tricky

but what's at stake here? we're not a jury, we're a message board. at most it's a matter of controlling the logic of this as gossip. polanski, let's drop him, different, agreed. overall though, the quote that locked my personal opinion goes "i know i would rather stand where i stand and eventually be proven wrong than support woody allen and eventually be proven wrong." immediate slander should be tempered, agreed, but the foundation is a possible molestation of a child. it's simply not in my nature to forget this

ElPandaRoyal

The thing is, 20 years ago this shit was all investigated and there was no psychological or physical evidence to support these accusations. I've read a few unnoficial Allen biographies and all mentioned this case and how inconsistent the accusations against him were, mainly by Farrow who, among other things, was said to try and settle for a certain financial compensation in order to not go to justice with it. I mean, would you settle for a financial compensation if your child was molested? Is there any money in the world who could cover that up? Either she was molested and Allen should be severely punished by it or, on the other hand, Farrow was bullshitting and acted out on revenge against his former lover and adopted daughter and, by doing it, fucked up the emotional life of her little girl making her believe she was molested. That kid is a victim either way, but I find it strange how Farrow's involvement in all of this is never called into question. But that's the thing: we'll never know anything for sure, and I'll have to go with the investigation from 20 years ago as the closest thing from  the truth about all of this: they certainly know more than me or you.
Si

jenkins

QuoteEven people who give Woody the benefit of the doubt and defend him on the internet are often confused on a few points. Some mistakenly say that the court found him "not guilty" of the molestation charges. The fact is there was never such a ruling because he was never charged with a crime, since investigative authorities never found credible evidence to support Mia's (and Dylan's) claim.

ono

Quote from: Alexandro on February 01, 2014, 07:22:09 PM
and also:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

I want to reiterate Alexandro's posting of this link because it's a very well-written article which goes a long way towards explaining what went down and trying to -- well, not so much vindicate -- as defend Woody.

jenkins

reiterate means to say again, like if you quoted the article, like how there's a quote right above you from the article. fml

ono

Yes, well, I came across that article from a totally different source, then came back here to see if the link was in the thread.  Saw it was, gave Alexandro credit, and replied saying such.  Excuse me for not reading your quote in which you didn't add anything more to the thread.  Links without context often get ignored without explaining why they're relevant.  The article IS relevant because it goes into a lot of detail about assumptions people make about Woody and his relations to those women.  Woody doesn't defend himself, barely knows how to use a computer, so it is worth pointing that out.  SMH.

Fuck YOUR life?  Please.  I want those 15 seconds back in which I had to explain that!

jenkins

thank you for explaining how late to the conversation you are

xerxes

Neil

I'm not trying to echo the thoughts of others here (el panda specifically), or stir up the shit-pot, but things like this cause more problems than they're worth. It has the potential of leading some to believe that these kinds of write-ups belong in the same realm as the real life justice system; and NO this has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech. As a grad in Communications,  I know plenty about the benefactors that come with 'Freedom of the Press,' but it does have its drawbacks, just like everything else in this world. Specifically in our case, it seems that a difficulty lies within differing definitions of, "the press," and exactly how much freedom they should have, and who should decide this.

I'd give Ed Murrow plenty of freedom as a Journalist, but that's another discussion. With this being said, if you're unable to tell which areas are more editorial than others in the link that Alexandro shared with us, I'm sure someone will point those out.

There are no "evening things out" either, that's the problem.  This information shouldn't sway us one way or the other. Those of us living in the states endorse the justice system here, so why shit all over it? Innocent until proven guilty.  That doesn't mean read all the blogs you can find and try to make up your mind, or find the best representation of both sides of the issue. Leave it to the professionals, because I highly doubt that you or any of the folks that wrote the articles which are linked up earlier in this thread will ever find themselves taking the stand for questioning in court. 

Sure, you're free to speculate, and yes you're free to think whatever you want, and it's ALL SO INTERESTING, but as far as the justice system I participate in is concerned, all you're doing is pissing in the wind with your speculation. Especially if you're just gonna look the other way at what transpired regarding these allegations, which led to an investigation that took place years ago (which no one wants to raise a fuss about or attempt to bring up other than the "gross" article).  I'm not saying court systems don't fail, but that's really not what we're talking about here.  What we are talking about here is how detrimental it can be when you volunteer yourself as a member of the judge jury and executioner.
We could all use a little growin' up, and no matter whose side you think you're on, you should know that you're not really on either, because you don't know shit about it.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

jenkins

Quote from: person like super fucking clearly on woody allen's side on February 04, 2014, 01:15:39 AM
no matter whose side you think you're on, you should know that you're not really on either

Alexandro

what freaks me out about this whole mess, although I can't say is unexpected, is the amount of self righteousness and hard judgement people have on the internet on a matter whose truth they can't possibly KNOW. any expression of doubt regarding dylan's statement is immediately discarded as claiming woody allen is innocent and dylan is a liar, and as something that sets a bad precedent regarding sexual abuse victims on speaking out. does stating the reasonable fact that there is plenty of reasons woody allen has not been charged or convicted with this crime, plus all the other weird shit that went on with these people, equals getting him off the hook? those are pretty serious accusations and I don't like that you can just accuse someone of something like that without proof trusting that a large group of people will get behind you on a purely emotional basis. this is an old case that, if I've read correctly, was not taken to the courts because mia farrow didn't want to expose her child. but also if I remember correctly, woody allen was furious about this because he felt his name would always be stained with an incomplete accusation. he was the most interested party in going to trial. this one is just one of many instances in this whole thing where there is very reasonable concerns and doubts about who is telling the truth, and the really disturbing stuff is being said on the comments sections of each one of these articles: a lot of hate, a lot of self righteousness, and plenty of anti intellectual, anti science, anti facts, anti artistic expression, anti women, anti men shit being said. ugly all over the place.

Pubrick

All I know is I'm definitely not on Jenkins side.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

Quote from: Pubrick on February 04, 2014, 10:13:54 AM
All I know is I'm definitely not on Jenkins side.
so magical. the one thing we all know to be definite and everlasting

i'll take every hit given to me for not waiting for the court and i'll repeat what i've said: the gossip is high in assaults, the gossip is outta control and villainous, but anyway i can't forget what all this is about. curious about how it'll conclude

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

jenkins

what speculation did i make neil. please tell me