Tarantino's cinemtaic style?

Started by nelski, February 04, 2004, 06:49:01 AM

nelski

im currently doing a study of quentin tarantino and the proposal for the project is :

" Quentin Tarantino's films are very stylised - are they the work of an autuer, or are they the product of an existing cinematic style? "

Could anyone give me any hints on an existing cinematic style that can be compared to Tarantino's? Or possibly opinions on this proposed question?

cheers

neil

Pubrick

didn't u already do a project on this question..

EDIT: didn't SoNowThen already write ur previous (same) essay on this?
under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

Quote from: Pdidn't u already do a project on this question..
yes

nelski

no that was a different project... that one never went ahead as it got changed to this

all im looking for are some cinematic styles to research in comparison to tarantino

im not looking for people to write an essay

cine

Quote from: nelskino that was a different project... that one never went ahead as it got changed to this

all im looking for are some cinematic styles to research in comparison to tarantino

im not looking for people to write an essay
It got changed to this? You're taking film and you have no idea what hails in comparison to Tarantino's work? You're not looking for people to write an essay, but you basically want them to give you all the 'hints' in order for you to write what you need to write because apparently you've been in these film courses for at least half a year and you still don't know jack shit about it.

I pity you. I really do.

phil marlowe

my god, that's harsh. calm down dude.

cine

Not harsh at all, IMO. In September, he was planning to do a project on the auteur theory. So he chose a close study on QT. Alright. Then he goes on to play the devil's advocate in saying he's NOT an auteur and asks if anyone has input. Well clearly there's going to be fucking input because QT IS AN AUTEUR! That much is understood, I would think, if you're choosing to do a close study on QT. Word to the wise: If you don't understand how QT is an auteur, don't even THINK to do a close study on the man. Not for a second. Then he goes ahead and asks where there are good Tarantino sites, as if he was just introduced to the World Wide Web too... I mean, I think a guy can ask for help on a project he chooses to do before one has to say: "Okay okay okay... What are YOU doing YOURSELF for this project?"  A guy has to learn his stripes, doesn't he? If I came on here and said, "Okay so I chose to study Martin Scorrseze. Can somebody give some hints on what styles he's known for?" Like, I would hope somebody tells me to read a fucking book. To do my own research and not simply ask Tarantino fans. I was going to say Tarantino 'experts' but you know what, they're the ones who write the books on him that this guy chooses not to read. So do you think the guy deserves to just get help all the damn time? I don't. But hey, whatever you prefer, right? The guy can't get help all through college or else he's going sink. I think he should learn that instead of us just spoonfeeding him. It's a little sad. We know so much about QT and yet some guy comes out of nowhere and just asks us to spit out all this shit on the guy because he's clueless. To me, that's sad for us and him. He should go somewhere else, do his homework, come back, and we'll all talk together.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

i agree on what your sayning cinephile and this shhould most sertainly be locked

i just din't think it was cool bringing him down like that, but that's just me

nelski

sorry you had to waste your precious time "bringing me down" but frankly i couldnt give a shit what you have to say. and so what if i was trying to get help.... why shouldn't i? everyone cheats with this kind of stuff, its not like i care about it that much!  you seriously need to remove your head from your arse

thanks for your time

cine

Quote from: nelskiand so what if i was trying to get help.... why shouldn't i? everyone cheats with this kind of stuff, its not like i care about it that much!
It's not that you care about the course or it's not that you care about us helping?

SoNowThen

Quote from: nelskiim currently doing a study of quentin tarantino and the proposal for the project is :

" Quentin Tarantino's films are very stylised - are they the work of an autuer, or are they the product of an existing cinematic style? "

Could anyone give me any hints on an existing cinematic style that can be compared to Tarantino's? Or possibly opinions on this proposed question?

cheers

neil

I think you should go to your teacher and say "this is the most vapid, useless essay topic ever. Either let me come up with my own central idea, or let me hit my head on the wall for my mark, which is the intellectual equivalent of the above statement, but will probably cause me to lose less brain cells."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.